on 2 May 2013
I have a Koss PortaPro that I really like, but as it is open and work with colleagues in a nearby I needed one with isolation that does not leak out the sound, so I bought this model.

The sound has not an exaggerated bass, the sound is more natural and neutral allowing to listen instrumental bands with an very good detail.Does not misunderstand me, I think the bass is the proper one for headphones, I'm just warning for fans who like to have two subwoffer as headsets, this is not the case.

The quality of construction is good.The cable is very flexible rubber, the plug is strengthened to decrease the risk of the cable be cut in the connection.
The isolation is very good.Recommended for noisy environments or where their coworkers are near and you do not want to bother with your music even at high volume. But can cause some overheating in ears because this is closed headphone.

Phillips SHL3100 is a good headphone that I recommend.
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I will start with the bad bits as really there is not a lot wrong with these. There is only a 1.1 mtr cable from the earshells to the end of the male 3.5mm connector. The cable from each earshell is only 2mm thick (thin) and does easily get nipped as the earshells turn, this could cause the cable to get nipped off or damaged. The headphones are all plastic, but they have been well designed with a good moulding holding the earshells, so should last better than some plastic headphones I have had which snapped the earshells off.

There is quite a lot of good about these. They are very light weight and feel positive on your head, i.e. they don't fall or slide about as you move. The squeeze effect of the padded earshells against your ears is not uncomfortable, I have worn these for some periods in excess of 6 hours without feeling discomfort. The earshells pivot easily to fit different head shapes, and they even pivot so you can had the earshells facing out like a pair of speakers, and they are powerful enough so you can actually pump out a lot of sound through them. Care is actually needed with these, they can produce so much volume very easily that they can leave you dazed if you accidentally have the volume too loud.

The sound quality these produce is outstanding. I have tried these on a range of devices from a set of different SanDisk type mp3 players, a Nokia Lumia 630 smart phone, a Windows 10 Desktop, and a home theatre surround sound system. The head phones work well on all these devices.
The earshells padding is 82mm outside diameter, 38 mm internal, leaving a speaker area (the orange bit in the picture) of at least 38mm, more as the padding is not in contact with the speaker for most of the 82mm. So there is a big speaker besides your ear! This allows for the speakers to get quite a brilliant range of sounds, especially the bass, it almost shakes you are times, brilliant.

I think I would not be wrong to say these are the best headphones I have used, and I have use a lot, and some very expensive ones. Other than the short cable, which can easily be extended, there is not a lot wrong with these. I most definitely recommend them.
on 19 October 2014
Are you a DJ on a budget? A DJ who is starting up with good equipment? or an experienced DJ looking for backups or headphones to use for those odd house/mobile parties? These are the headphones for you!! The cheapest DJ headphones which also have good quality performance. They sound excellent, go very loud and have surprisingly good mids and highs.

What is accurate from the features (listed on Amazon!! check philips website for a slightly more realistic sales pitch) ?
1. 1500mW goes loud without distortion - YES, loud enough to be expected for a pair of heaphones costing £14 to £16 ! I have used them in a variety of club and digital mixers, can pump it up almost to full without any worry.
2. Sound Blocking?- it wont block it- but it will really reduce it enough depending on where you are. If you are a casual home user, you will find it difficult to hear anything outside of your music for sure. In a club probably not that much of a sound blocking device.

Cons: short cable (for a DJ, be it any kind of DJ). Apart from this it is hard to fault them at this price.

One suggestion to any buyers: Decide your requirements for these headphones or any headphones before buying them. Headphones are something that can make it or not for you (as an individual listener) only if you know what you want and you do your research. Some like to play it loud, some need to play it loud, some prefer clarity (mid and high) and some prefer more bassy (low punch) heads- look for something that suits your needs. The bass response on these is quite good (no distortion no heavy muffling!!) but mainly mids and highs are commendable for the cost! So, those of you who like 'clarity' as people might say these are a good buy.

Casual users, dont think too much- these are amazing sounding and comfortable headphones! you can wear them for hours and you will be impressed by the sound on them. DJ's and professionals: These are good for the price tag, they are very good. Mostly, they are more comfortable design on the ears than most in this range with good quality sound. Also, it is always better to check the philips website (in this case) for the right features and specs, they are often (very often) wrong on Amazon pages!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 September 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These Philips-branded headphones are of similar construction to others of the closed-back type, and fold in exactly the same way.

* Because they are closed-back, ambient noise is reduced to some extent, but not blocked. That's not a complaint, noise-cancelling headphones just don't come at this price, but the product blurb might lead to unrealistic expectations.

* High volume level is impressive. I shouldn't do it, nobody should, but I do like to blast my head sometimes.

* The sound quality is adequate for listening to CD's, and more than adequate for listening to mp3 files. Some form of graphic equaliser is essential, I would say, but music player apps usually have those.

* Possibly my head is larger than average, in fact it definitely is and that's why I have trouble finding hats to fit. But I do find I need to have the head band of these phones fully extended for the cups to cover my ears. Someone with an even larger cranium than mine might find them too small.

* The lead is rather on the short side. It's fine for me when I'm sat at my computer, but the product blurb does suggest the headphones are suitable for DJ use, and that seems improbable unless the said DJ was permanently hunched over his desk with no thought of bopping around at all.

Overall these seem a very fair buy to me, and I recommend them.
on 1 July 2014
2 things : cable way too short, ridiculous ! Okay my fault for not checking properly but still, unless specificallyon the go headphones, which these aren't, too short. Which means having to fork out for a loss-less extension, if there is even truly such a thing.

Second, blocks out ambient noise is claimed. Is that a joke ? The definition of blocking is quite clear : does not pass, get through, etc when in fact here all we have is some ambient noise reduction, but NOT blocking for just putting them on as is gives you the idea of how much is still coming through, when it comes to ambient stuff. Unless what Philips meant was that having loud stuff playing indeed will block everything out, one, they should say so, two, not good for the ears.

Totally useless to me so they'll just have to go and get replaced for something more suitable to me.

But ending on a fair note : Philips does good stuff when it comes to earphones, wouldn't have bought their make otherwise, so won't bash quality there and am sure they do perform as they should, but only those using that model can actually say for sure.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2013
Brilliant purchase, i have a very happy nephew now and i know my sisters is over the moon as she does not have to listen to his music blaring out of his bedroom, excellent delivery thank you :)
on 21 October 2015
I thought they were a very close alternative to Dr. Dre Beats (which are ridiculously overpriced..Just without the microphone). Love them, very comfortable and great value!!
on 7 October 2013
Glad went with these instead of the more expensive options/brands. Excellent value for money, comfortable, lightweight and great for using with decks, sound quality great.
on 14 November 2014
Good quality headphones. I use them on the train to work. Shut out surrounding noise really well. Only gripe is headband is abit tight on my head, so does press the 'cans' against your head a little too tightly