on 16 May 2014
I have owned two pairs of these, one after the other when the headphone jack connector stopped working in the first pair after just a few months of ownership.
I can honestly say after this I took extra care of the second pair, making sure I didn't stress the wire too much. Alas after another few months of use the cable has become faulty once more.

The headphones themselves are of great quality. I would recommend them, if you only wish to use them for a few months til you can afford to upgrade.

Shame, because I liked the sound.
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2013
Colour Name: Black/red|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Phillips SHL 3300 Headphones offer excellent build quality and flat, balanced sound. They're also very comfortable and are a relative bargain.

Sturdy design, solid build makes them less suitable for mobile use; not a bad thing.

The headphone has a nice snug fit, maybe even a little too snug, which allows for some excellent noise cancelling. However I do find it a bit uncomfortable after prolonged use. Especially with this hot weather.

Overall the although Phillips SHL 3300 offers good value at £50. However I would rather it was a bit more comfy and produce a just a little bit more low end.
on 4 January 2014
I needed these on New Years Eve for a DJ gig and my headphones broke leaving me no option but to pop down the road and buy a pair in a high street catalogue store (same price £29.99). I wasn't expecting anything much and just hoped they'd be loud enough to mix with.

Well..... I've gotta say, for the price (and remember I'm saying for the price) they are amazing! SO, I'm NOT comparing these to £200/£300 headphones, that'd be like comparing a Ford Focus to a Ferrari....

The sound is rich enough, deep bass, good enough mids and good highs. The highs are slightly clouded by the bass and not as detailed as a £200 set of cans, but REMEMBER THE PRICE!!! Actually, these are just as good as certain cans priced around £100 - £120 so if you really want a bargain with a decent enough sound, then here you go! OVERALL the sound is quite well balanced and they give quite a nice sound. Maybe better for Electronic music.

They go loud enough to mix on as a DJ, OR if it's just listening on your iPod or whatever, then they're still very good.

Comfort wise, very comfortable. Build wise, decent enough for the price, they are plastic and don't look premium, but they seem like they'll stand up to some bashing around! The cord seems strong enough to stand the test of time plus it's coiled giving you plenty enough length but not too long.

I've only had them a few days and after burning in I'm sure they'll be even better.

Can I just say again, remember the price point - £30!

There aren't many (if any) pro online reviews on these, but I'm pretty sure if there were they'd have a 4/5 star rating.
on 20 January 2014
(First of all sorry about my poor English)

I have been using this headphones for a while and i could compare them a lot of other headphones.
They are superior to other (same price range and twice higher) headphones (another brand or Philips) in every sense.
Don't think that they are bass-heavy headphones built just for electronic music because of the "DJ" and "deep bass" label on the box.
Actually they have very balanced, neutral response that shows great detail in all frequencies.
Clarity, separation, sound quality and details are just perfect.
on 30 April 2016
I will give my review of these headphones in a bit, but I would like to firstly advise you to not buy from DigitalGuy International! I am used to the days when ordering from Amazon UK meant ordering from a UK seller, so I did not know until after the package was sent that it would be leaving from South Korea with FedEx. I now have to pay a further €24 on top of the £40 spent due to unseen customs charges. Also the packaging was terrible. They simply wrapped the headphones blister pack with FedEx bags and threw in a cheap flashlight keychain. The cardboard had completely come off and the plastic was cracked in several places. Thankfully the headphones were alright.

Now onto the review...

The headphones have served me well these past two months. The sound quality is good and I have found the right adjustment so they do not hurt after hours of use. At first I would have the usual pinched ears/jaw ache, but now I find them quite comfortable. they don't really block out much of the external sounds, but I am okay with this as I was not looking for headphones with soundcancelling cababilities.
The nitpicks I do have are mainly about asthetics, rather than sound quality. For one thing, I have found the rubber connecting the jack to the cable to be too long for my liking, causing my phone to fit strangely in my jacket pocket to allow for this. The cable itself seems to twist easily, making it awkward when sitting down. When using an iPod, this can be overcome by wrapping the wire around the device and putting it in my pocket (somehow despite the annoying jack length); however when using my iPhone I need to access the screen more often, thus wrapping and rewrapping the wire causes it to twist even more. A silly nitpick maybe, but an annoying occurance when having to juggle school bags/shopping. The last nitpick is the black rubber on the faces of the ear cups. This serves the purpose of allowing you to change the coloured discs and also picks up all the fluff and crumbs from whatever bag/surface you put them on. After the first full day of outside use, they came back grey with whatever fluff is inside my bag.

TL/DR: Am I happy (despite the terrible postal service)? Somewhat
Would I buy them again (from another place)? Probably not, but I am enjoying them whilst I have them.
on 10 July 2013
Colour Name: Black/red|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When it comes to choosing headphones, I tend to be a bit fussy. Only last christmas I chose a £65 pair from Sennehiser which on first listen were very quickly repacked and refunded by Amazon. So disappointing...

So, I received these Philips SHL3000 and to be honest was not expecting much. Too often headphones disappoint, they promise to deliver but in the end you are often left with a weak base, no mid range and poor representation of the music. These are different. Across several genres inclduing Tubular bells, Metal, Dance, R'n'B and classical I couldn't find too much too fault and was more than satisfied with the rich bass and the clear mid to high range that supported vocals and strings alike. So I was happy with the most important bit - how did they sound?. The overall look and feel is OK, they certainly are not the most stylish I have ever seen or used and the plastic used on most parts could be viewed by some as a bit on the cheap side, but overall I would say these are value for money. Both earpieces swivel to allow monitoring for DJ use and this seems comfortable enough on the ear that its open. The lead is not too long so you end up tripping over it, so that is just about right.

Marketed as high power headphones that also are noise cancelling, the power is certainly there and once you have the volume up a few notches you can't hear anything beyond what you are listening to through the phones, but on quieter passages of music you could hear background TV, muffled talking from others etc so they do not insulate perhaps as they suggest they do, but this is nit picking to be honest.

I like these and they have now earned the right to replace my 15 year old JVC's which have seen off several new headphones which never quite made the grade.
on 27 January 2016
Bought these on amazon since i saw them on the high street and thought that i could get them cheaper and i was right.

The headphones were amazing quality and i use them for my laptop to listen to music and i was pleasantly surprised they are comfortable to wear for a couple of hours at a time and if you like your ears toasty while using headphones you will be happy. When you take them off you can comfortably wrap them around your neck or if you don't want to wear them like that while they are not in use then their folding design is something to take advantage of if you want to carry them in your bag.
Colour Name: Black/red|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These certainly look the business - more masculine in black really, but oooohhh so comfy, so definitely lady friendly too. I plugged them in to the back of my mac and was immediately blown away by the intense resonance and reverberation. No interruption from outside, the closed back system certainly works. Pure deep bass, glorious range and pure head filling sound. It was as if Andreas Scholl were standing beside me singing into my ears. (I wish).

I didn't know a computer could produce such wonderful sound quality. My love for my music is renewed - there is so much more to hear now. `High power' is a perfect description.

They feel really secure on my head, not at all loose or wobbly, I can forget I am wearing them with the ability to move about; they stay in place, no problem.

Being shut off from everyday background interruptions lifts the experience up a level and allows deeper immersion and relaxation. I love them!
on 4 March 2014
Very impressed with the sound clarity and sharpness across the frequency range, these are the standout features of these headphones. The sound signature is well balanced, bass is dynamic and has excellent quantity when called for. Slightly colder sounding than the Philips uptowns but with more definition, less wide soundstage. Amazing value and a great choice for a closed-back set, probably competitive with headphones that cost 3 times the price.
Colour Name: Black/red|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's quite a few years since I used closed over-ear headphones, and I was really looking forward to receiving these. When they arrived - very promptly - I was immediately impressed with the look and feel of them, they are obviously of good and long-lasting construction quality. In terms of sound quality I am also pleased, for they deliver the promised bass, and although I cannot describe myself as an audiophile I could not detect any distortion even when driven at massive volume levels.

The big advantage of closed headphones is that they allow the listener to be largely isolated from background sounds, ie if the wife has 'The Voice' on TV (a real world example!) that is not going to intrude on your enjoyment of some classic rock tracks or whatever music floats your boat.

My only criticism of the SHL3300 is that I'm not currently finding them very comfortable for extended listening. They weigh 317g, or rather more than 11 ounces, which is a heavy load to be fastened to the head, but worse is that my ears start to feel so hot that removing the headphones gives a feeling of great relief. Maybe I'll get used to them over time, and I'll certainly try to because I enjoy the audio experience they provide. But I have to mention the comfort factor as part of an honest review, and it's the reason I've not given these otherwise very impressive headphones 5 stars.