Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

on 23 April 2013
I love Joe Lansdale regardless of what he writes. And I love Hap and Leonard to the extent that after I've purchased whatever their latest outing may be, I resist the temptation to read it, instead saving it for a time when I feel down, when I finally crack it secure in the knowledge that it will make me feel better regardless of how bad I might actually feel to begin with. It's surely a rare author who can perform that function, and I bless Joe Lansdale for it.

I've read all the Hap & Leonards, and while they are never less than good, within the bounds of that description the quality of the novels can vary a little, which is eminently forgivable for a very prolific writer engaged with a long-running series. For me, Captains Outrageous is the weakest entry overall and there are some elements of Vanilla Ride that don't quite ring true, while Mucho Mojo and The Two-Bear Mambo are utterly magisterial throughout.

But this novella, Dead Aim, and the one that preceded it, Hyenas, are both massively enjoyable, funny, gripping, fat-free and super-tight. You can read each one in a couple of hours straight through, and they are absolutely top-flight Hap & Leonard, no question. Back on form? Yep. It feels like Lansdale is really enjoying H & L's company in fullness again, which means we can too. The Dixie Mafia are getting interesting now, and one wonders if Jim Bob Luke will be around again soon. Can't wait for the next full-lengther.
I love all the Hap and Leonard stories and this one is no exception. It is laugh out funny in many places and the story is fast paced with no padding. I think I even prefer it to some of the novels because nothing gets in the way of the core story. Brilliant fun
on 13 April 2014
This is my first Hap & Leonard book. I loved it from the first page. I like the characters, the descriptors were brilliant and plenty of laugh out loud moments. The story was tight and it read fine as a standalone book. I just want to read the rest now
on 2 August 2013
If you're a fan of Lansdale's 'Hap and Leonard' books, then you'll like this. The usual mix of violent action and comic misadventure, it's well up to standard.
on 15 December 2013
Another Hap and Leonard read, with the usual mayhem, scumbags and one-liners, shame it isn't so long, but a great read all the same.
on 28 April 2016
This is the first time I have read lansdale and it won,t be the last. A tad over plotted but the dialogue and general style go down as smoothly as a decent malt.
on 10 January 2015
My least favourite Hap and Leanord . Ok but not great. Very basic story really no thrills . Not joes best by a long way
on 12 June 2015
Short but sweet. Come on Joe, let's have the next installment already!
on 20 May 2015