5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, 13 April 2008
S. Johnson "sijon" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Free (Audio CD)
Haven't listened to Saxon for a few years now; they were undoubtably my fav HM band when I was a teenager back in the early eighties, so, I decided to check em out again and I was shocked to discover what I had missed! So, I ordered to entire back catalogue from Amazon and a few 'new' ones I hadn't yet heard. 'FOREVER FREE' is Saxon through and through, a brilliant album; every song is great. Okay, I'm gonna get picky now: I'm not a lover of the front sleeve artwork, Saxon should retain that classic font art work on everything Saxon. The sound on this cd is quite a 'bassy' sound and I thought Biff's vocals were mixed down a bit as were Paul Quinn's solos. Graham's rhythm guitar stands out beautifully, just as I like it! Overall, a great album. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very under estimated,and up at the top of SAXON Albums, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Forever Free (Audio CD)
This album is a very under rated album from the saxon boys. I would rate this album up with the best of all the Saxon Albums. Hole in the Sky is a very good track on this album, and has a meaning to the lyrics and music about the world we live in! I think that Hole in the Sky gives a Warning about tragic events that are occurring now, even though this song was written some time ago. Buy this album, you will not be disappointed in the least if you like Metal from the Best Metal Band from the UK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forever Free .. Always Rockin!!, 29 May 2013
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Forever free (1992) (Audio CD)
Like a previous reviewer,I to bought this as a German import,shocking that this traditional British heavy rock band couldnt get a UK deal,shows what a terrible state the music business was in.This was actually the first Saxon disc i purchased on CD,never regretted it,a thoroughly excellent album.

Having lurched from one crisis to another,one ropey album after another,the late 80's thru early 90's were not the best time in the bands history ultimately reduced to releasing live albums on indie labels to little or no fanfare,thankfully the previous album 'Solid Ball Of Rock' had set the band back on course,this release confirmed they were back.

Its a true Saxon album in every sense,heavy rockin,riff laden songs (Nighthunter/Get Down and Get Dirty) with decent singalong choruses (Forever Free) and some sterling guitar playing from Oliver & Quinn.

Highlights a plenty, of the aforementioned songs,'Forever Free' is simply superb ,a career highlighy, and the traditional historical track-'Iron Wheels',simply epic.

Having heard the recent remaster,it sounds no better than this edition,although you get a couple of bonus live tracks and liner notes.Saxon were back and it was only going to get better.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT 1992 FOLLOW UP, 9 May 2013
Edward J. mccarthy Jr. (new york new york) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Free (Audio CD)
when this cd was released in October 1992 I bought it as a german import as saxon had no deal in the us, I was immidiatley mindblown by the title track FOREVER FREE, from the beginning I know it was a total biker song but hey that was what got saxon on top some 12 years before so I really felt saxon where doing a great fantastic job of staying away from America and now in the early 90s where avoiding what us labels and record companies had to say as saxon clearly saw where that got them from the mid to late 80s, sadley playing in front of less people and selling less records, I in fact remember playing this album for someone in early 1993 and they where surprised saxon where still together putting albums out, they thought saxon split after destiny and I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO go get solid ball of rock and greatest hits live and you will see saxon are back and better then almost ever, anyway forever free was without a doubt the best song on this cd, others that I feel are killer saxon songs are NIGHTHUNTER, GRIND, CLOUD NINE, HOLE IN THE SKY AND THE AWSOME COVER OF I JUST WANT TO MAKE LOVE TO YOU, as per 1992 I had always felt foghat did the best cover of that song, I tell ya just listen to this cd and you will hear how saxon did that song great heavy justice as well, this is a total metal album and a now classic saxon record and this came out at a time when it was hip to do heroin, wear flannel shirts and when singers sang they sounded like they had something clogging there nasel up there nose, singers in those grunge bands sounded to me like they had rags shoved up there noses for some reason and people here thought that was great!!! gone where the studs, the cool denim painted jackets with your favorite metal band on the back, the patches the buttons, badges etc etc at shows, this record did not sell very well and even in the uk forever free was not released until may 1993 on a label called warhammer, I remember that release had KILLER, GREAT ARTWORK!!!! much better then the artwork we all know this album for, in fact the vinyl edition goes for big bucks on e bay now I think, I got both vinyl versions of this lp ( german and uk) both cd versions ( german and uk) both cd single versions ( german and uk) and when e bay popped up in 1998 I got a nice may 1993 uk tour shirst from the uk tour for this record, anyway it is really nice to see this got another reissue just like the spv reissue 11 years ago, as I write this I cant belive this record is 21 years old already but it still sounds as killer as ever when I throw this on, I still feel for younger saxon fans this is still a very overlooked saxon album, also my friend from the net JOE GEESIN did great liner notes for this and did a great interview with biff for all 3 reissues, my only complaint is the mastering on this but the music is as great and powerful as it was when I first heard this record well opver 20 years ago now, if you have not try to revisit this album in 2013, you will love it if you are a younger or a newer saxon fan, also I guess joe had a photo of that warhammmer uk issue from 1993 thrown inside the inlay here so if you are in the uk, TRY TO FIND THAT LP OR CD I guess because metal was so dead back then the label did not print to may of the lps or cds, anyway great job on this record SAXON and great job on the notes JOE GEESIN!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever rockin with saxon, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Forever Free (Audio CD)
A realy great cd but could have done without the cover version apart from that it rocks cant stop rockin and the title track are classic saxon

Forever Free
Forever Free by Saxon (Audio CD - 2013)