5.0 out of 5 stars excellent (says old fart from Strong Arm days)
This is an excellent Saxon album. I am now an old fart who bought the Strong Arm, Wheels of Steel etc albums when they came out at the time. Was all dressed in denim and leather. No need to say more: great stuff, Biff is still great, the guys are still great (how do they do it?). Nostalgia beckons, this album BELONGS IN YOUR COLLECTION, metal fan, young or not so young.
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by Ramses

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Saxon make a comeback
Pretty good stuff here - after the wilderness years of Destiny etc, the boys are back to their old selves. Listen to the title track...

Has been bettered since by the likes of Into The Labyrinth, but still worth getting if you are even a minor fan.
Published on 11 Feb 2010 by Smeghammer

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent (says old fart from Strong Arm days), 30 Dec 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nearly Almost Back to Their Old Selves, 21 Aug 2007
This review is from: Solid Ball Of Rock (Audio CD)
This is actually a very listenable Saxon Album, definitely the best one they had did since the early 1980s. A lot of very heavy riffs that remind you a lot of what was going on on the Denim and Leather album and somewhat harking back to the nuances of that album I would say. There are some softer tracks too, granted, but definitely enough to keep the British Metal Fan interested. Very good really and very little that disappoints.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant blast from the past, 8 July 2010
De Provencheres "sarah" (france) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solid Ball Of Rock (Audio CD)
I had heard this album for the first time about 15 years ago and lived it then, so decided to purchase it on CD. I was not disappointed, its as good now as it was then. Superb lyrics, excellent music. For all rock fans this is a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING,KILLER COMEBACK IN 1991, 7 May 2013
Edward J. mccarthy Jr. (new york new york) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solid Ball Of Rock (Audio CD)
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this record was such a powerful way to start 1991 off I clearly remember over 22 years later, I got this in January 1991 on cd, lp and a shaped vinyl picture disc single for requiem out of Germany as well as the cd single and vinyl single for this NOW CLASSIC record. anyway as ive been a saxon fan since 1981 ten years before this release I remember this solid ball of rock era all to well, as most fans my age remember after crusader in 1984 saxon went with a more us,mtv commercial sound, actually in 1991 I felt solid ball of rock was the best saxon album since power and the glory in 1983 ( some 30 years ago already) as crusader had an amazing saxon sound on the title track the rest of crusader to had a lot of commercial stuff I felt in fact I always felt just let me rock was one of the worst saxon songs ever and I was surprised earlier this year that saxon in 2013 decided to re record that song during the sacrifice sessions but that is another story, in 1985 when innocence is no excuse came out the writing was on the wall for me, MY FAVORITE METAL BAND WAS SELLING OUT TO US RADIO, MTV AND RECORD COMPANY PRESSURE and though I really enjoyed innocence I could hear the change, rock the nations in 1986 was much better I felt, the songs where heavier again and the title track as well as some of the fillers on that record where just great but still, saxon had sacked dobby dawson, put more hairspray in the hair and put a bit more make up on and to me that was the sunset blvd look and I didn't like it, now in 1988 comes destiny with no more nigel glockler and there was nothing wrong with paul Johnson ( dobbys replacement) BUT saxon where just not the same anymore, in the summer of 1988 when saxon came to the us they did a co headline tour with another awful L.A poser band called hurricaine ( wich consisted of rudy sarzos brother and carlos cavazos brother from quiet riot) anyway saxon did two new York area shows and they where lucky if 45 people had showed up, in fact tickets sold so bad i think the clubs where practically giving away tickets just to get people in and hope that they would spend at the bar, it was a short tour and by 1989 saxon was dead, for the first half of 1989 there was little or no news about saxon in kerrang or any of the other metal mags other then an occasional uk gig or a European gig that was it, in the autumn of 1989 I was happy and surprised to see saxon put out that great live album rock n roll gypsyes that was recorded in hungry in 1988 ( so the inlay says) regardless it gave me hope saxon may continue in some form, then in January 1990 I saw big ads in kerrang for the tenth ann tour and it was a full tour with metal church as openers and it was announced that nigel glockler was back and a new bass player added tim (nibbs) carter, so as that year 1990 went on I saw saxon had expanded that tour into Europe and that summer played a lot of festivals in Europe but nothing in the us, by late 1990 I would read that THE NEW SAXON ALBUM SOLID BALL OF ROCK was coming to us shores in January 1991 and I was right down at my then record shop ordering every version the guy could get, anyway when solid ball was released I was sooooooooooo happy with this album, the title track alone was a killer and as this record playes on the songs stay right on par where they should, I think by now 2013 we all know saxon cant capture that magical sound they had from 1979 to 1982 with producers like john verity, peter hinton and nigel Thomas BUT this was the best it was going to be in 1991 when grunge and janes addiction and all that crap started to just push real metal bands aside, regardless saxon stuck it out and gave us a killer record for 1991 with other very good tracks here like alter of the gods, lights in the sky,crash dive, just cant get enough and I loved the requiem b side reeperbahn stomp wich is all included here, joe did a great job on the liner notes here so you can hear more of the story from biff himself if you buy this edition, this is yet another saxon record I NEVER GET SICK OF and it came at a great time for me when bands like saxon, accept, priest ,maiden where all going down the pike a bit to that whole seattle garbage of a movement that luckily for guys like me only lasted a few years, saxon would go on in the 90s and into the 00s to record many more great records but this will always be a very special record for me because in 1990 when saxon recorded and wrote this album it was a real do or die time for them as as I look back 22/23 years later im so happy biff took the band in the right direction and scrapped what us record companies had to say, sadley saxon would not return to the us until the unleash the beast tour in 1998 so I didn't get to see this tour but still LOVE this record, anyway this is a reissue from the spv reissue that came out back in 2002, my only complaint is I thought the mastering on this could sound a bit better, I think the spv reissue from 02 sounds a bit better then this but my friend joe had a hand in putting this out and well, SAXON IS STILL MY FAVORITE METAL BAND AS THEY BECAME SOME 32 YEARS AGO IN 1981 so I had to buy this great reissue.................

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Saxon make a comeback, 11 Feb 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A true metal classic, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Solid Ball Of Rock (Audio CD)
I play this cd most days its a solid rock classic solid ball of rock and we will remember are fanbloodytastic buy it.

Solid Ball Of Rock
Solid Ball Of Rock by Saxon (Audio CD - 2013)