5.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't this better publicised I don't know! Excellent!!
Although I use another wireless keyboard to operate my system outside of my media centre (XBMC), this little beauty is perfect for the day to day running of any media centre and has not been publicised widely enough.

I have rarely seen this mentioned on forums for XBMC/Boxee or any of the others but it should be!

I run a win7 system with XBMC as a...
Published 22 months ago by Mr. P. A. Harsley

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but needs more work
I had my eye on this product for a long time but could not justify buying it when I had perfectly fine Logitech IR remote working. So when the battery leaked and destroyed my remote I was in market for new remote. Love the idea that you could use any remote control with FLIRC .
Published 3 months ago by Mark Dawis

5.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't this better publicised I don't know! Excellent!!, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: FLIRC USB Dongle for Media Centre, Raspberry Pi and XBMC (Accessory)

I run a win7 system with XBMC as a front media centre connected to my TV for watching TV Series/Films and listening to music through a dedicated AV receiver.

For the past year or so I have used a few different wireless keyboards, a tablet (running Yatse/XBMC controller over HTPC and unified remote to control windows), however I now use my AV remote (Onkyo) for controlling my TV, Receiver and my XBMC. It works perfectly with no problems as yet (will update if needed).

The programming could not be easier. The software is downloaded from the official website and has built in configurations for standard keyboard, XBMC, Boxee, Basic navigation and others. I believe custom ones can be made but have not explored this. However using the keyboard option I was able to programme every single function I need for XBMC simply by pressing the representative 'button' on the software and then pressing the desired button on the remote controller. I was up and running within 3 minutes.

I wish I had of known of this little gem when I first began running my media centre as it would have saved me buying a tablet and previous wireless keyboards.

I now only need one remote by my side for normal watching (I would guess, and have seen it mentioned on forums that this works with Harmony One and pretty much any other standard remote) and I only need to get out anything else if I want to browse windows (for adding things to the libraries mainly). I use this in conjunction with this woreless keyboard: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005C71L5Y/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for general windows use. Paired together they are everything I need and save a lot of space.

All indications say this works with Raspberry Pi, which I would love to move over to next for space saving (and geeky fun) purposes. I currently use an Acer Revo 3600 connected to my AV receiver through HDMI.

Unless the FLIRC develops a fault and stops working this item receives a very strong recommendation if you wish to control your media centre using your normal TV/DVD/Uni/AV remote.

This underrated item needs more publicity; I didn't even know it existed until one person mentioned it on a forum somewhere and I happen to Google it and couldn't believe how simple the idea was and how I had not yet been aware it existed.

Five stars for product, delivery and packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique product that just works, 12 Sep 2014
Mike Renshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Used on a dedicated NUC running Windows 7 and XBMC and bought on recommendation/reviews from Amazon.

Downloaded the software and spent a few minutes working out how to get it working, but was actually simple enough although the software isn't the best (I've still not figured out how to bind the windows key to another in a combo).

I have the media centre hidden away and just put the FLIRC on the end of a usb extension cable and had no trouble - it has quite a wide range to pick up signals from the remote.

I use a Harmony on it now, but tried a couple when I was setting up and it worked fine with each one I tried.

Once up and running, it's just does it's stuff in the background. I've had the odd occasion to add in a new function and quick fire up of the software and job done in a few minutes.

Easy to actually forget it's there - which is ideal for a media centre.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exceptionally well, 2 Jan 2014
I don't normally bother with product feedback but this is so specialist I thought I should.

To set this product up I used a windows 8 machine. I downloaded the software from the Flirc website and then sat baffled for 5 mins as to why it kept saying in the setup software that its disconnected even when I could clearly see in the windows hardware summary screen that it was detected. Basically you need to run the software as administrator. Right click the .exe file and 'Run as administrator'.

The setup is easy, select a keyboard button that you want to map and then point your remote (any remote at all) and press the corresponding button and it will learn the IR code and map it to that keyboard press. This is the really clever part, once its set up you can plug it into anything and it will be seen as a keyboard and act in the same way. All of the config is stored in the dongle itself with nothing running on the device/pc its plugged into after its set up.

I use it with an Intel NUC running Openelec for XBMC. Its works absolutely flawlessly, the sensor is very sensitive picking up IR commands even with the sensor obscured behind a soundbar. Its also neat looking, most of the windows remotes and IR sensors have large ugly receivers trailing USB cables.

Part of the reason I had been putting off shifting from my WDTV to XBMC was the hassle configuring decent controls. This does away with all of that, I can even carry on using my WDTV remote that I am familiar with and really like.

In short, it works really well, solves an annoying problem with XBMC and remote controls and looks nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd known about this sooner!, 19 Nov 2014
I found this completely by accident while looking for an IR receiver for my old MCE remote.

I read about this device and that it could learn any other remote so I decided to grab one and test out with my WDTV SMP remote seeing as WD are seemingly trying to kill that media player off with bad firmware after bad firmware.

So I built a new HTPC which I'm wanting to use with Plex and Kodi (XBMC) and gave this a go.

It arrived and within five mins I'd downloaded the software from the FLIRC website (no software comes with the packaging as it's just a tiny plastic container) and was up and running programming the FLIRC with my remote.

The GUI is really basic and anyone could work it out - basically it starts off in the minimal view and then you change the view and program all of the buttons you wish to use.

The FLIRC from Amazon was running firmware 2.5 and at the time of writing 3.1 is available. When I launched the FLIRC software it prompted me straight away to say there was an upgrade and it literally takes seconds (if that) before it's complete.

It then took about five minutes to program all the WDTV keys onto the XBMC profile and that was it - I unplugged the FLIRC from my Mac, plugged it into my HTPC and it just worked - no messing around with drivers or anything.

I now have remote control of Kodi and Plex HT via my WDTV remote control - bear in mind some of the keys don't map exactly between the two - for example what brings up CPU stats in Kodi does not do the same in Plex HT, but other than that one key it works fantastically and with no latency whatsoever.

Location wise it's really good too - I have the HTPC behind the sofa behind me feeding a projector and there are no issues with the signal from the WDTV remote being bounced off the wall in front and back to the HTPC which sometimes caused issues on the WDTV itself - this is much better!

So now I've gotten rid of the WDTV SMP and have a much superior experience with Kodi and Plex HT and I need to just look into how to get this working with Netflix in Chrome etc but I'm really happy.

It's a shame this isn't more widely known as it's a fantastic little device and really gives any HTPC the wife acceptance factor - i.e. she could use it to watch Coronation St via Kodi and the VU+ plugin - she's not allowed though as that would be a waste of my HTPC and Enigma 2 box :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but needs more work, 16 Sep 2014
Device arrived in plastic packaging and this sure is "frustration free" packaging taken to the extreme. It was not sealed and dongle fell out of it when I picked it up. So since was not sealed I have no way of knowing if this really was new product or refurbished/second hand. There is no instructions or manuals
FLIRC dongle itself is solid build. See-through plastic on the FLIRC is not my cup of tea but it doesn't take away from functionality.
First thing you need to do is go to FLIRC web site and download software for configuring FLIRC with remote control. While you at it do firmware update on FLIRC
Another thing I would like to mention is if like me you have your minipc media station/server/XBMC attached to back of the TV you will need to purchase USB extension cable to be able to place FLIRC in front of the TV for remote control to work.
Software is very simple and easy to use. First I went to configure FLIRC with my old Sony DVD remote and this resulted in FLIRC transmitting same command twice every time. No troubleshooting could fix it.
Ok, next I moved to old spare Sky box remote I had. After configuring each button I had left , right up and down, play was working. OK, BACK , PAUSE not working. Nothing. Tried number of times to reconfigured it and same results every time.
Next I moved on Hauppauge remote , here FLIRC recognised every press when configuring it but once connected to media PC not a single key press worked.
Now I took my LG DVD remote control and configured it with FLIRC. This one WORKED! All key presses worked as they are supposed to except SHUTDOWN did translate into left move. I can live with this..

So the bottom line is great concept in theory. In practice its hit and miss and would not recommend this product unless you have lots of unused remote controls around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! say goodbye to wireless keyboards (for when you are using media players like plex, XBMC). I love it., 15 July 2014
Oh my, where to start with this one.. It's amazing.

I'm one of those people who loves my media set up. I have a server running plex to stream my media around my house/devices and I have a great big NAS holding my movie collection.

For years I have had a PC hooked up to my main living room TV, and this has been controlled by a Logitech dinovo bluetooth keyboard. Looks great, works well. The trouble is, I use plex (if you haven't heard of it, look it up, its amazing) most of the time, and the plex interface is full screen with just a simple up, down, left, right, click (with some other bits) interface. Obviously you can do this fine with the keyboard, but it's a bit overkill.

So I bought a PC remote control. Clunky, cheap, not great.

Then I found this. This can be programmed with any old remote you have to be anything from a full keyboard to a simple direction remote.

The interface is easy to use, and you can program it so that any button on the remote can bind to any key. Brilliant.

for those of you who want to use it with plex.. i used this list of commands so that I could bind keys from my remote to functions I wanted to (you can do multi key combinations on the full keyboard setting):

I use this with a logitech harmony remote which is also ace. Honestly, I'm in media nirvana and this and the harmony remote were the last pieces of the jigsaw!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! But upgrade the firmware, 26 Aug 2014
This is awesome! I bought it to control iTunes using the remote that came with my amplifier.

It seems to work with any infra-red remote control. It presents itself to the computer as a USB keyboard, and you use the provided software to link buttons on your remote with keyboard keys (such as play/pause, next track, arrow keys).

I had a problem making the computer recognise the play/pause keys at first, but this was fixed by upgrading the firmware.

Nice gadget!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat!, 21 Aug 2014
First thing I did was to update the firmware, which proved a tad frustrating. The drivers did not install correctly so I had to do a bit of Googling to find the answer, once sorted the forced firmware update worked correctly.

I'm using this with a Logitech Harmony Touch remote, I added the profile 'Flirc XBMC' using the Logitech software and most of the buttons I wanted worked straight away. But I wanted more buttons, one to go Home and to change the coloured buttons to take me to Tv Shows, Movies etc directly. I set the buttons on the Harmony to some random XBMC commands to enable them and then used the Flirc software to re-learn the Flirc using the XBMC profile. I then changed to the keyboard profile to learn the coloured buttons to 4 keys. The fiddliest part was changing the keymap on the XBMC to map these keys to the commands to go to TV shows etc.

All in all an hour after playing with the device everything works perfectly and I am asking myself why I didn't buy one sooner!

My only 'gripe' is that my RaspberryPi running XBMC has to be on show so the commands can be picked up. I have ordered a USB extension cable which will hopefully work and allow me to hide it again leaving just the Flirc on show (would be nice to have a black version to blend in with other AV kit).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little thing. Works easy and great., 10 Sep 2014
A Lianos (UK) - See all my reviews
This little thing is one of the few trully plug and play things that exist. You only need the software to assign buttons to w/e you want if presets aint working, but the outcome is amazing. My tv is connected to an HTPC, and I can start XBMC right from the remote control and play movies, never having to touch the keyboard/mouse. Definitely worths its money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your PC into a true Media Centre, 4 Sep 2014
Excellent product, just what I've been looking for to control XBMC. Just download the software, plug in the dongle and press the remote buttons you want mapped to the key presses. It even has a pre-set keyboard map for XBMC. Another plus is that you can have multiple remote controls doing the same function.