5.0 out of 5 stars At last, My funny shaped ears have suitable music when I run
For years Ive always been after a great pair of headphones that dont fall out when I move. The problem I have is that I dont ever want to spend too much money on ear phones. At £40 these are just about on the upper limit of what Im prepared to spend, but to be honest, if they were priced at double the price they would be worth it.

I popped them in and connected...
Published 16 months ago by Penny Blake

3.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer SE-E721-K Vs Sennheiser PX685i
This is a combined review of two recently purchased headphones. The same review is posted under each product.

The brief background is that I wanted some good headphones for running/walking and wasn't sure from the mixed reviews which type of headphone to buy.. so I got two types to compare.

The Sennheisers are over-head retro style with...
Published 14 months ago by W. Bray

3.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer SE-E721-K Vs Sennheiser PX685i, 30 May 2014
W. Bray (Warrington, UK) - See all my reviews

The Sennheisers are over-head retro style with "open" style phones (rest against ear)
The Pioneers are hook over ear style with "closed" style phones (press firmly into ear)

Fit:
The Sennheisers fitted both myself and my wife. We both found them a little painful at first as they press quite hard against the inner ear for grip. I managed to overcome this by changing the rubber covers.. my wife did not.
The Pioneers fit me perfectly and stay in tightly. They don't fit my wife at all. My wife has very small ears, I have quite large ones. If you have very small ears you may have problems.

Audio Quality:
I allowed both sets a month to "burn in" and surprisingly it did affect the quality, particularly the Sennheisers.

Sennheisers - By far the best clarity. Laid quietly on the bed you will hear much more detail from these headphones and the bass will be audible (though not at all powerful). As soon as you get walking running you generally won't appreciate the detail but will miss the bass.. which will leave the headphones sounding quite "tinny" as you walk along. I expect this is exacerbated by the open design. To get an idea, get a pair of earphones and hold them a few cms away from your ear. This is the sort of sound you will hear when using these phones outdoors.

Pioneers - Far less music depth, far poorer clarity. Laid on the bed you get overwhelming bass and very little listening pleasure. On the other hand.. take them outside for a walk or a run and they come into their own. The bass and closed design keep the sound rich and the beat pumping, the lack of clarity and detail goes largely unnoticed against background and wind noises. Out of the two, these are now the headphones I pick up by choice if I go for a walk/run.

Build quality:
Both seem pretty well made.. neither show obvious signs of deterioration after a month.

Other notes:
The Sennheisers have a control halfway down the cable that bounces around and I personally found very annoying. The Pioneers have no additional controls / features.

As said already, after a month the Pioneers are definitely my go-to headphones for outdoor activity. You can't dispute the fact that Sennheiser have better audio quality under good listening conditions. Neither is my "perfect headphone" and I am a bit disappointed that neither has both the fidelity and punch I am looking for in a headphone.

I hope this comparison review is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweaty runners - your search is over!, 2 April 2015
I've had a 5 year search for the perfect running headphones that don't break the bank and I've finally found them!
I have previously tried the over ear styles and found them really heavy and uncomfortable, other in ear headphones jolt when running and slowly edge out of the ear leaving me fumbling around shoving them back in every 5 mins. I even splashed out last year and spent £80 on some Sennheiser's as I was told they were good for sports but, whilst they stayed put a little longer, they still popped out when the sweat started to flow so since I lost them last year I resumed my search for the perfect pair.
When I got these pioneer's at the beginning of the week I almost sent them back because I realized, for the price, it might be nice to have a pair with a remote - I'm glad I didn't. I've done 2 long runs with them and they are perfect! They are very lightweight, they clip perfectly round my medium sized ears so that I can barely feel them, the coiled cord that fixes around the back of the neck means there is no pull at all when running or turning my head and even in full sweat the buds stay inside my ear. The sound quality is good, they're good for blocking out traffic noise (good for pavement/ off road running, be careful if you're running down country lanes!), by far the best quality and value for money I have ever come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, My funny shaped ears have suitable music when I run, 1 April 2014

I popped them in and connected to my phone and popped on a great track, you know, one of those tracks that makes great use of the balance. I had to firstly change the rubber end to the smallest one, which took all of about one minute as its so easy and simple to do and then I had to pop them in. Now, if you are like me you wil struggle to get them in the first time as these are a different shape to other headphones. The ear piece is actually on a ball joint so you have to insert the ear piece into your ear FIRST and then wrap the rest of the phones round your ears, not the other way round like most other headphones. DOnt worry about the ear piece falling out as, because its on a ball joint it will swivel round quite easily.

Noise quality is excellent, but be warned. Because it has a rubber seal the end and it fits so snuggly into your ear canal its very hard to hear noises from the outside world, even if the volume is turned low, so if you are walking or running outside please please look twice before changing direction. Remember that in a fight between steel and flesh, steel will always win.

So, how do they fit? Well, Im very fussy, I want good fit and comfort. The first 10 minutes was a bit wierd. I was aware they were in my ears, but like most things that feeling goes away as you become more comfortable with them. It was only because they were new. I jumped about, walked, jogged, sprinted and they were still in my ears. I did everything I could possibly think of to try and find fault with these headphones and I failed. I even brushed my hair with a big fat hairbrush and within reason they still stayed in.

Ive seem headphones adertised at over £200, and I say dont buy them. Instead, buy these. I bought the red pair as I jog wearing a black/pink combo, but if you are not fussy about colour I say get the black ones as they are actually £3.00 cheaper at the time of writing this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb headphones, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Pioneer SE-E721-K Fully Enclosed Sports Earphones - Black (Electronics)
These are top class for in ear headphones, they are very light and comfortable to wear once you've got the right bud size on them and the design ensures they stay in place no matter how much you shake them around. Sound quality is brilliant with a nice bass level but not overpowering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for gym, very good in general infact, 24 Jun. 2015
Excellent pair of earphones, i didnt write a review until i was certain, been nearly a year and a half of consistently going gym and doing alot of training with these earphones ofcourse and i can say these are hands down the best pair ive had for being active.

Over hook design is always good for being active/weight training as other pairs would have the hassle of falling out during the routine which would be a bother.

Spiralling wire just before the earbuds are great to retain the wires from tangling and keeping them intact instead of having a loose wire so any music quality stays pretty much the same through out for a very long time, I'm certain that these earphones wont be worn out in a very long time.

Music quality isn't ofcourse something that will automatically blow you away but it is above average and its main purpose is to retain a decent quality at the same time as being able to endure a session of training. For music quality i own a pair of Marleys XLBT but they certainly wont be able to endure a training session.

Ultimately a great pair of earphones, not the best for comfort music but easily my best pair for training at gym for a long, long time and i doubt another pair will be able to replace them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 18 Dec. 2013
I was excited when I received these Pioneers, as I work out daily and am a self professed audiophile, so I wanted good value sound quality suitable for intense exercise.
I was previously using a pair Sound Magic PL30 earphones and had zero issues. However they were starting to get a bit dogged, so a change was required.

When it came to attaching these earphones (which was a laborious process and fiddly), I found it difficult to secure an isolated fit. However I did, and they do offer satisfactory isolation. Aesthetically they are surprisingly chunky and very noticeable (however this doesn't bother me one bit).

So now we get onto my point. After using in the gym for an hour or so on the FIRST DAY, the sound started to drop off from one ear whenever I moved. Clearly there was a loose cable and I find it shocking that these should cease working without even completing my first session!

All in all I expected A LOT more from Pioneer and have exchanged for Sound Magic E30 earphones, which I hope will be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect runner's accessory, 20 Jun. 2015
I love these headphones! I sweat A LOT when I run and I'm rough with headphones so spent a lot of time researching sturdy pairs for a reasonable price. These headphones stay in no matter what! I run along a beach which can get incredibly windy and they have never failed me. Be advised - they are for sports only, they are not comfortable to use for everyday listening. And the red detail fell off after a couple of weeks of me using them but it hasn't affected the fit or function of the headphones. The design means they hook over your ears and the ear buds are easily positionable - but give yourself a minute to get them in properly! I wouldn't let these things put you off if you are looking for a pair of headphones to stay in your ears no matter what. And the sound quality is good too! I would definitely recommend for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent is some ways, mediocre in others., 26 Oct. 2013
Build quality is excellent and these things stay put no matter how much I jump about. Only real downside is the sound quality. I was expecting to be blown away after reading other reviews of this product. I have some similarly priced Beyerdynamic in ears that put the sound quality of the pioneers to shame (however they did not stay in my ears during a session at the gym). It's not that there is anything wrong with the sound quality but I personally would have liked a flatter more natural sound with clearer mids. The pioneers seem to colour the sound a little bit for my taste, very Hi-Fi sounding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Once you've sorted out the fit, they're great for the gym or if you're out running., 19 Jan. 2015
Looking for earphones I could wear to the gym and running outdoors. As I really struggle getting either the apple earphones or buds to fit and stay in my ears, these seemed a good price at £20 and sturdy enough to do the job.

Not had them for that long so perhaps they haven't "bedded-in" yet, but my initial felings are that the sound is ok, not spectatcular, but clearer and louder than the last pair of phillips shq 4200 some light-fingerred toerag made off with from the gym.

I can sort of understand why there are some people who have had issues reagrding fit and comfort. They cannot fall out if you fit them on properly but it is a faff and takes a bit of getting used to. Firstly, you need negotiate, persuade and fiddle them on...then adjust the head angle so it's at the right angle and finally, select the correct bud size. Once you're sorted, they cannot fall-off or out...unless you don't have any ears!?

If you're looking for a pair to run with, they're worhtwhile. If you're an audiophile and are after clarity and depth, you've probably got better options elsewhere.

Persevere and be patient.
Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound and very Secure, 20 Jun. 2014
My previous earphones were Seinheiser 685CX's, which I bought as they were supposed to not fall out, however they did especially while I was running and I was never that sold on their sound quality. So I decided to replace them and after reading the reviews here I bought the Pioneers. It took me a couple of minutes on the first use to figure out how to get them into my ears properly to get good isolation, sound and comfort but once I got that sorted I am very happy with the end result. The sound is much better than the seinheiser pair and they are much more secure and comfortable with regards to the fitting, isolation is also very good. They may appear to be a little bulky but don't let this put you off as they feel very light when they are on.
I use these earphones all the time now, in work, in the gym and out running, I've yet to take them off for being uncomfortable because the motion of the earbud lets them move and adjust with whatever I'm doing.

I thoroughly recommend these headphones.