5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking tale, 12 Jan 2014
I loved this book. It's an interesting read, showing what an alternative childhood he had, which was useful and hindered him in later life. He comes across as a mixed soul, wise and worldly in some ways and not in others. It's sad that he took it on himself to provide and be the breadwinner for the family. The ending, surrounding his fatal overdose is a bit disgusting to think how shallow Hollywood was and still is, about his reputation getting out and tabloids stating that he was a drug user. It's respectful of the journalist not to take any photos of that night. It's a shame that he wasn't strong enough to stay off drugs, and the lure of LA and admit he had a drugs problem but who knows where he would have ended up today if he'd survived.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind (Kindle Edition)
Totally took over my life for a few days - Couldn't put it down! Great book. Well written. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars River Phoenix book last night, 27 Nov 2013
Iam rating this book five stars as i bought for son he reads a lot of his stuff and he loved it.I would recommend this book to anyone who likes River Phoenix.

4.0 out of 5 stars well written, 22 May 2014
there's only so much material that can be written about someone who died as young as River Phoenix did. While I quite enjoyed the writing of this book, and it is extremely well written. Using River's life as a parallel of the times he lived in, the industry in which he worked is very well done but largely the material here has been seen before in John Glatt's book or even some of the others.

Considering how well written it is, perhaps access was granted to key folks who could have given that further insight. He was a fine actor, a much missed actor and if you've not read some other Phoenix books this would be worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful book, 17 April 2014
This book is a well written nonjudgemental examination of not only River Phoenix 's childhood, stardom and family life but that of Hollywood and the stars we all believe we know so well today.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in and remember's River and the role he played in shaping the Hollywood and films of your youth but also to those who are interested in the background of Hollywood between the years of 1980's to 2000's.
I will admit that I purchased this book because I was one of those young girls with River's poster from 'Stand by me' in my room , that he tries so hard to escape from in the many quotes used through out the book. Having now read this book, i have a greater appreciation of the glass bubble this exposure puts on our celebrities especially our child stars,
i am now left pondering if River could or would have willingly have adapted to this new age of social media. What a waste of a life and talent. Your death will always be my 'where were you when it happened moment of my youth'. RIP RJP your work is done even if we your fans feel it was cut far to short.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book on River Phoenix, 20 July 2014
Phoebe- Sian (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I loved this book on River Phoenix. Always been a massive fan! It was an interesting read to delve into the life of someone I admired but knew nothing about. I would recommend this book to any River fans!