Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - Series One [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£17.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 14 June 2013
Slightly racier than Miss Marple or Poirot but in the same vein. Good fun. Beautiful clothes. Light as a feather and thoroughly enjoyed it (husband hated it!).
on 12 October 2013
I watch many crime series on television - and gave this one a try.
At first I wasn't sure - it's very different from your usual crime series and I thought at first I was finding it too different from my usual type. (MIdsomer, Miss Marple, Lewis etc) - however I felt like that about Murdoch Mysteries and now I wouldn't miss an episode of Murdoch Mysteries. By the time I'd seen the third episode - I was googling to see if the DVD was available.

So was the case with Miss Fisher.
It's set in mid 1920s Australia - and Miss Fisher is a flamboyant, wealthy fashionable socialite who is also a 'Lady Private Detective'. It is light and fun - but has it's serious side. Miss Fisher herself is haunted by the disappearance and presumed death of her own sister when they were children together. This theme runs through the whole first series - and while it's not the sole storyline - it concludes at the end of the first series.

Miss Fisher herself is worldly - and very, VERY kind to people in distress. She has had her own share of distress.
There is also a 'will-they-won't -they' dynamic between her and the Police Inspector she invariably works with - Jack Robinson - which is romantic fun.

It's NOT 'gritty' or tortured - Whitechapel it's not.
But it's a very enjoyable addition to the kind of 'murder' series you'd enjoy if you like Castle and MIdsomer Murders as it was in the 'old days'.
on 21 June 2013
miss fisher is on a par with Murdoch mysteries, miss marple, death in paradise etc, so if you like any of those you will love this
on 21 July 2013
I was not familiar with this series, but have always been drawn to murder mysteries and particularly those from all different countries. Not knowing quite what to expect - at first, I was disappointed. For some odd reason, it was hard for me to get used to the characters, they seemed so very different and found them an odd lot. I didn't find them particularly amiable. Further into the series, though, once I got to 'know' them, I began to like them all very much and enjoyed this series immensely and thoroughly enjoyed it to it's end. Am very glad I invested in the series.
on 6 January 2015
Against my better judgement (as it wasn't a cheap purchase!) I risked buying this as a treat for myself based on all the good reviews and now I'm completely hooked. Nothing appeals to everyone, but I think the series has a fairly wide appeal because it blends a bit of mystery solving with interesting characters and a teasing romance. The leads seem to be having a lot of fun and their banter soon becomes infectious.

If you like your drama to be gritty and 'realistic' then tune out now. It isn't the series for lovers of serious hard hitting dramas, but having said that, it's not devoid of all realism entirely. The sense of fun and the playful teasing that take place within each episode depict two people getting to know one other quite convincingly, even if the scenarios in which they find themselves are highly unlikely. The mysteries are no more improbable than many another murder mystery series and they provide a structure for the episodes and an excuse for the characters to perpetually collide.

As many others have said before, the costumes look great and the fashion of the 1920s is stunning on the lead. Essie Davis is older than Miss Fisher is meant to be in the books - not that I've read them - but assuming loyal book fans can set this fact aside then I think you will soon warm to her in the role. In my view a certain age as well as experience would be necessary to have gained the kind of assurance that Miss Fisher exudes in buckets. Essie has a genuine sparkle in the role and her presence literally lights up the screen. She might not be a fresh faced youngster, but she's utterly convincing as a beautiful woman and one moreover with sufficient style, wit, maturity and charm to draw men to her side and make use of them. That type of person could come over as an unattractive manipulative character, but we soon start to warm to Miss Fisher because she is kind as well as manipulative. She's also far from being entirely selfish, even though she lives for pleasure.

There's a lot of teasing about the heroine's love life, but we only get brief glimpses of the action itself. Even a prude is more likely to be amused than shocked by what they are about to witness. Anyone watching this series in the hope of hard steamy sex scenes will be regularly thwarted at the crucial moments by the equivalent of crashing waves on a beach. It ought not to come as a surprise really given the 12 certificate. There's references and hints a plenty about what she gets up to and in my opinion the overall effect is sexy and alluring, but in an amusing way.

If you don't want to think too hard, but you do enjoy a silent chuckle then this is for you - especially if you enjoy a slice of romantic banter served with your murder mystery cocktail.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Set specifically in 1928 Melbourne, when women are increasingly making their presence felt. (In a bonus, author Kerry Greenwood is delighted the makers got the period so right - this essential for certain storylines.)

Enter Miss Phryne Fisher, now fabulously rich but with a past that never ceases to amaze. This lady detective, truly out of the ordinary, gathers around her a loyal butler, devoted maid/companion Dot, two resourceful handimen. Ahead lie many intriguing cases - all, of course, to be solved.

A few viewers may have misgivings at the dockside start. They perhaps fear one of those glossy shallow offerings, with a central character ever posturing and too full of herself. Any such doubts are soon dispelled. Although the show represents pure escapism, there is substance. There is no shying from such sensitive issues as religious and racial prejudice, exploitation of women and children. Phryne herself is haunted by a childhood tragedy - details in stages movingly to be revealed.

Essie Davis is great as Phryne, Nathan Page excellent as Detective Inspector Jack Robinson. However much they may bicker, there grows between them a bond. Particularly appealing is the developing romance between Constable Hugh Collins and Dot - both young innocents, unsure how best to proceed. Always good to see is Miriam Margoyles as Aunt Prudence (although Phryne may not agree).

Within just a few episodes, I found myself hooked. (Admittedly the main villain's motivation is absurdly over the top, but not in a way that mars enjoyment.)

13 episodes of mainly around 55 minutes. Disc 1 contains 15 interesting "Behind the Scenes" features.

Welcome here a series off the beaten track, full of much that will please.
on 22 April 2014
I stumbled upon Miss Fisher and her cohorts on Alibi and finding this was Series 2 I researched and detected Series 1 at Amazon and bought the box set plus another box set for my brother in law who soon became a Fisher fan as did his wife.
The books ( written by Kerry Greenwood ) are set in 1928 Melbourne and both books ( have read first three ) and the films depict it seems to me the atmosphere, fashions, cars and old world courtesy of that time. Miss Fisher is a self assured woman of uncertain age but young enough to attract pretty well and man she wants. Born in poverty through circumstances of the First World War she becomes Titled and extremely wealthy. She is as generous as she is sharp witted and on arrival back in Melbourne soon gathers new loyal friends around her including the local police Inspector who is somewhat beguiled by her despite his constabulary principles. Both are soon involved in solving murders, kidnappings and all sorts. The policeman, Jack Robinson, is always reluctant to involve her but she always seems to be there before him. The characters are nicely drawn and the and the actors play them very well. I can't say much more except if you like the era and particularly the jazz music that accompanies it then it is surely worth a pint in buying the set which comprises of 13 episodes without adverts for a reasonable price. You can get Series 2 too and the main worry is that a Series 3 is in doubt as the actors have other lives to lead.
on 14 September 2013
This is a very enjoyable series, and it becomes even more interesting, when you begin to read the books, too. The films have hit the tone of the books very well, on one hand the lightheartedeness, but on the other the serious subjects that are dealt with in each episode. And every episode shows a different milieu, a different aspect of life in Australia in the twenties. It is remarkably well done, and I recommend it also as showing more of women's lives seen through the eyes of women, than almost any other show I can think of.
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2013
My title above says it all, if you like period (1920's in this case) dramas, this is top notch. The characters are believable and that includes those in the lesser roles as well as the main ones.

The fact that this series has not been shown on UK main line TV, and that it is an Australian production; and that the actors are not well known over here; and, finally, that the series has held it's price (it's far from being Amazon's cheapest!!), I took the risk in buying based on the reviews. I was not disappointed.

The series of 13 nearly 1 hour long episodes is well produced, atmospheric and brings alive an Australia I, for one, have never envisaged.

The enthralling stories are well paced and, often, very well thought through. The viewer, if s/he observes the little nuances during each story, can reach the same conclusions as Miss Fisher when she solves the case rather than, with so many modern TV series, it's all blind luck or beyond the realms of possibility.

IF you like period thriller dramas and IF you are willing to take a chance on an 'unknown' series from the other side of the world, buy this - you won't be disappointed. I can't wait for series 2

Throughly recommended and 5 stars
on 17 March 2015
Parcel arrived beautifully packed and on the time specified. I'm still watching it and enjoying every bit of it! It is incredibly surprising such a fantastic series and the actress is a Gem! all the sophistication of a Poirot (which I absolutely adore) but in a new refreshing way being set in Australia. Loving this series and if you enjoy seeing a clever and sophisticated woman solving difficult puzzles with grace and panache - this is the series for you!