5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Electronics I have read
Published 19 months ago by Not My Real Name

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't realise how big this book is!
Published 1 month ago by Darren Spillner

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Electronics I have read, 10 May 2013
This is a BIG book, physically, and in scope. It does NOT disappoint. I'm only 20 or so pages in, and already it's taught me something fundamental that I had not learned from all the other books on this subject I've read over the last 40 years. Because it's covering all the bases (the electronics, the underlying physics and the maths) it requires concentration, but that, I'm confident, will be rewarded with a grasp of the subject I've failed to acquire elsewhere. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, 29 Mar 2013
D. Cockayne (UK) - See all my reviews
A few months ago I started playing around with arduinos and electronics and since then I've been building up electronics bits and bobs and being a bit of a book whore, quite a few books aswell!

Arduino is great because it has lowered the barrier to entry into electronics to such a level that anyone that can assemble flatpack furniture and copy & paste can now do some electronics, unfortunately this also makes arduino terrible, the second you stray away from shields and tutorials you quickly realise that you still don't have a clue what you are doing and in reality know next to nothing about electronics.

This book will fix that.

Of the nine books on electronics and arduino that I have read this is the one that is going to stay out permanently, be constantly checked for solutions to problems and browsed for inspiration or for refreshing knowledge. When you have outgrown the 'dummies' level and are ready to learn some proper electronics this is the only book you need.

As a bonus it is also a huge book, it easily has more content than the other eight books I have combined and it would still be a good purchase at £70, when it's on sale here for £20 it is a total bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 2 Mar 2013
excellent book all the mistakes have been fixed from the second edition i have checked with the online errata but not sure if there are any new mistakes as i havent been through it all yet but excellent book

4.0 out of 5 stars Subjects are good but..., 21 Jun 2013
I got this book to help me do electronic hacking. My knowledge dates back from a year in High School some 40 years ago. I have read about 10% so far and the subjects covered, mainly basics have been very helpful to me. That is good.

However, there a quite a few typos, and potentially other errors in the oversizes which I wonder about. The publisher (McGraw Hill) does offer an errata sheet, but there is no way that I can find to ask questions to the authors/publisher, nor forum to post to etc. I did write to the publsiher's customer service a couple of times but they do not reply. This is the bad.

All in all, it has been worth the money because the subjects covered are the ones I need. For a 3rd edition I would expect less mistakes, and I always expect the authors to be available to discuss their work, but this does not seem to be the case here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prctical Electronics for Inventors, 10 Jun 2013
Very useful, practical book. For beginners and more advanced electronics. A lot of element parameters and practical devices. Hardback is better for everyday use.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 'teacher' I've ever known., 5 July 2014
I've been dealing with electronics over fifty years. Nobody wrote books like this back then. This book provides the professional and the amateur alike with facts, formulae, circuits, types of device, tips, explanations, why it works, how it works, what not to do, how to do it ... but ... what really takes the biscuit is the manner in which it is laid out, thus:

You are introduced to physics and associated formulae. You are then made more knowledgable with each turn of a page, until you have attained a standard suffice to cope with integrated circuits in all their forms. You will be taught how to make filters ... make I/C's do just about anything etc., in fact, by the time you reach the end of the book, after say six months and many hours of study, you will have become quite a dab hand.

Brilliantly written by two very clever men, Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, who know how the human brain functions when on a steep learning curve, they have managed to squeeze into 1000 pages the sum total of my 50 years in electronics plus drag me into the 21st century.

This is a third edition. I hope there is to be a fourth. This book will be treasured by anybody who loves electronics. I keep meaning to put it back on the shelf, but, now well-thumbed, it remains at hand permanently alongside my oscilloscope.

A beautiful book, wonderfully well-written and an 'adventure' for any keen student. For the professional, a reference manual from the basics to calculus. It has a huge index, but rarely does it take more than a minute to find what you are looking for. Buy it, look after it, it will never date! You can't get better than that. Truly an investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FINE REFERENCE BOOK, 19 Dec 2013
A really useful book which I use for the occasional reference. As a professionally qualified electrical and electronics engineer who still teaches the subject, I'd say it's one of the best publications I've read of late.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., 10 May 2013
Frank Mill (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A great book. It's wide on coverage and deep in content. You can scan it to find out how specific devices work or how to design a particular circuit or like me you can simply read the book from start to finish and then dip in again regularly. It covers practical electronics at every reasonable level and is both stimulating and useful. The descriptions of theory are very clearly explained and go to just the right level for me (stopping just short of deep particle physics). In order to help the understanding of the operation of all the basic devices such as ordinary transistors and MOSFETs for example, clear mechanical water based analogies are presented.

The book goes on to explain practical non-textbook stuff that you need to know but typically don't find very easily. There are heaps of illustrations, circuit examples and know how in the form of data tables and diagrams. This all lets you understand how things work and enables you to design and build practical circuits for a host of applications. The book generally is full of highly relevant contextual information as well, eg on how to use basic lab equipment to help build and test circuits.

This 3rd edition adds a large collection of new useful and interesting material in areas such as microcontrollers and modular electronics that bring it up to date with current practice.

I'd thoroughly recommend this book to students of any technical discipline who are studying electronics and want to make sense of the theory in the real world or to anyone wishing to learn electronics concepts in order to develop useful circuits or prototype products. I'd also recommend this book to anyone who simply wants to see how to write an excellent technical opus.

I wish I had this book 30 years ago when I was struggling with electronics lectures and had a desire to build stuff for my mobile disco. I could have done with an expert friend like this. In fact I liked this book so much I bought a Kindle version too so that I always have a copy nearby. There's not many non-fiction books I'd consider for my top 10 favourite books but this one goes in there. It would be hard to over-rate this book in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book., 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Practical Electronics for Inventors, Third Edition (Kindle Edition)
Sometimes you read a book written by someone who is knowledgeable, passionate about their subject and can actually write. This is such a book. It's quite simply inspiring and I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I have no doubt I will be going back to it again (and again) in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't realise how big this book is!, 11 Nov 2014
After getting on the Arduino gravy train and reading some hobby/entry level electronics books I felt like I needed something more advanced to take my electronics hobby to the next level. After looking at what was available on Amazon I settled on this book. However I didn't realise that it is more of a tome than a book - it is bigger than A4 page size and about 2.5" thick! The thing is like a phone book - so good value in that respect I suppose.

I found much of the content to be at university level or beyond with a lot of assumptions about mathematical expertise - I also didn't really follow how the book was aimed at inventors per se, nor how it was 'practical' - much of the book is detailed theoretical study that would not look out of place in a university textbook.

A decent book and good value for money, but not quite what I expected.