5.0 out of 5 stars Really funny.
Published 9 months ago by David H J Ashdown

3.0 out of 5 stars Sporadically funny- ultimately soulless
Published 14 months ago by Boswell

3.0 out of 5 stars Sporadically funny- ultimately soulless, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
In places very funny (essentially whenever Stephen Merchant is on screen) this is a mildly entertaining, if formulaic, romantic comedy. I liked the two leads (Rafe Spall and Rose Byrne) and thought that it was a fundamental flaw in the film that the chemistry between them was, ironically, very good and convincing. They seemed made for each other. Hence the flaw. The biggest problem, however, was the story's slightness and contrivance, and that it's over-arching take on marriage was bitter and cynical. It is a product of its time. In places cruelly funny, but empty of a core of humanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really funny., 8 Nov 2013
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
A last a British comedy with dialogue you can hear ( not mumbled like so many American offerings ) with plenty of cameo appearances and good old British cynical humour. It's about a newly married couple who have second thoughts soon after their marriage ( hence the name ). A lot of the jokes make you laugh out loud especially as they're refreshingly politically incorrect most of the time - no PC namby pamby whingers here !! A lot of scenes contain dialogue you wish people would say in real life - A must see Comedy and totally different from what you expect !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will watch it again and again! Fab!!!, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This film I saw twice at the cinema it was soooooo funny, I loved it hence when I saw how cheap I could get this for I bought this DVD. I have now watched it twice and again, still find myself in hysterics. Its a great example of how the English can make a great film and its possible my favourite. Definitely worth a buy and watch in with some popcorns, preferably with a group of girlies, although saying that men will also enjoy this very funny rom com. You will find yourself nodding in agreement with some of the scenarios. fantastic film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon Baker fans - add this one to your collection, 18 May 2013
F. Lee (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
A subversive take on the rom-com genre, more of a com-rom, definitely not a chick-flick. Very British, some rather crude humour which obviously is not to everyone's taste. As usual, Simon Baker was fabulous. I found it very funny, even on 2nd and 3rd viewing, the dove scene was particularly hilarious. So I'm looking forward to watching it again on DVD, and particularly hoping for some funny out-takes with the doves on Simon's head and Rose hiding under the table.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing in places, 31 July 2013
This review is from: I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Listen hard and you will hear some good one liners but it is nowhere near as good as similar films such as 4 Weddings/Nottinghill etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Like a jigsaw that's been put together in the wrong order, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I always feel bad about being negative towards the British film industry. We don't have Hollywood's budget so I always try to support the national film industry. And, `I Give it a Year' certainly boasts an impressive cast of fine British (and even American) actors.

It's about a couple who have only known each other for seven months before they decide to get married. This film charts the first year of their subsequent life together. The characters are all beautiful, rich, thin people who work in trendy London offices, live in stylish Victorian apartments and can afford lavish, high-society weddings. The male characters are either or both selfish or stupid (Rafe Spall attempting to `out-annoy' Jar Jar Binks at some stages). And the American characters are seemingly parachuted into the story to save the lovelorn Brits.

I found the film a bit of an enigma. I stuck with it to the end and enjoyed some of it. Every scene felt like a sketch that would fit right in during an (adult) sketch show (think `That Mitchell and Webb Look' or `Armstrong and Miller'), however, using it in the context of an ongoing narrative, it just didn't work. The parts were funny; it's just they didn't seem to go with each other.

With the calibre of acting talent amassed here, it should have been brilliant, yet, despite being funny, it somehow left me cold. A weird contradiction in film-making.

3.0 out of 5 stars little funny, 7 July 2014
This review is from: I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Had funny parts but not as funny as made out to be, a little disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 6 July 2014
This review is from: I Give It a Year (DVD)
I thought this was a great little film, made me laugh a lot. Maybe a bit predictable but very enjoyable all the same.

1.0 out of 5 stars feels like it trying to hard to be funny when it ..., 6 July 2014
Very awkward, feels like it trying to hard to be funny when it doesn't need to be.

1.0 out of 5 stars I GIVE IT A THUMBS DOWN, 3 July 2014
i wasted 20 minutes of my life watching this, time i will never get back, crude jokes etc, i was looking for a romantic film to watch this wasnt it.

I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013]
I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013] by Dan Mazer (DVD - 2013)
3.00