on 29 November 2013
Got this because I was looking for a game on my Wii U that I can pick up and play for short bursts (no time for heavy gaming sessions these days!). And of course, racing is always fun. Arcade-style racing that is - simulation car games simply takes too much time to get into for me.

Trying it out with tablet motion control - reason being, if I'm going to play a game on the WiiU, I may as well make the most of what makes it different. And that seems to work OK so far - the control is precise, but seems a bit laggy, but the more I play the better I get at it. Will have to see if it remains responsive enough for the harder challenges, but according to sources on the internet it can be done with enough practice.

The graphics are awesome - this is probably the best looking WiiU game at the moment. The frame rate is consistent, although if you want to be pedantic about it, it can drop a bit when there are many cars in on the action, but nothing that affects the game play. The game area is awesome, with a mixture of city traffic, industrial estates and country side driving. And it is huge, making exploratory driving both fun and rewarding. About the cars - well, I'm not really a hard-core car guy, so I can't say anything about how they handle or how faithfully they've beer reproduced, all I know is they go.

Controls are customizable - the best configuration for me is to map the accelerator to one of the analogue sticks in order to get better control on the road. Used to have the brakes mapped to the reverse side of the accelerator, but that prevents you from spinning your tires by both accelerating and braking at the same time (which you need in order to enter certain events).

One annoying thing that I can think of is that the game wants you to create an Origin account on startup. No thanks EA - you have not shown yourself to be a friend to the Wii U community, so I'm not interested in giving you my details. It is not mandatory, but the opt-out option is not entirely intuitive (you have to select 'Decline', but at that stage it is ambiguous as to what you are declining - the Origin account setup, or the playing of the game?), and it keeps asking every time you enter the game even after declining.

Super game, it is a real pity that Wii U owners have largely snubbed it, but that is not because of any fault of the game itself. I still don't understand the logic of releasing a Wii U game months after the PS360 version and still expecting it to sell in equivalent numbers (do EA think that Wii U owners have no access to other consoles?). But if you, like me, are looking for a quality racing game that you can pick up and play in short bursts, then this is ideal (at least until Mario Kart arrives).
on 21 August 2014
This is a fantastic game. I personally prefer this over Mario Kart, I know there are people who may shoot me for saying that! The graphics are amazing and this due to PC textures being used and the WiiU specs have been fully utilised. I usually play on the TV rather than the GamePad, but am happy with either if I'm honest. The soundtrack is awesome and I like how much effort Criterion put into this version. This is by far the BEST version and they even went as far to place 3x green Mario warp pipes in the game for players to find and work the same way. Press down when you're on one and you'll find a Mario, Yoshi or Peach themed car! Nuts!

I cannot rate this game high enough and is a truly undiscovered gem by most WiiU owners. I hope this changes as this is an excellent alternative to Mario Kart 8.
on 23 April 2013
The graphics are unbelievably good and as good as the main challenges are, I just find myself driving around and trying to beat the jumps etc that people on my friends list made.

Best racing game I've played in years and the social aspect makes it even more addictive.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Wii struggled to provide any decent semi-realistic racing games over it's lifetime, with the cracking Burnout series from GameCube making no show at all. Criterion have returned to show off their skills with a fantastic 'port' that is so far rather addictive! They've really gone hell for leather to make full use of the Wii U specifications and controller, bringing the PC textures and lighting over, giving by far the best console graphics compared to current rivals.

It's a very arcade racer, and I have found it takes a little time to get used to the car handling, but once you start to crack it, the pace you can fly around the open world of Fairhaven is outstanding! If you kick the nitrous in, the scenery flies past at a huge rate of knots, with hardly a frame rate drop in sight!

The release day patch has gone a long way to improving the game - fingers crossed a second one is in line to sort out the occasional crash (only one for me in 5 hours of play).

Running solely on the GamePad is, as always, an excellent addition, saving the family from a droning racer when they want to watch TV. Controls are fully customisable, so you can switch to the right analogue stick for acceleration if you wish, though I find it better to move to the main pad buttons for these features as you can flick the brake button for some sliding action easier than you can flick back the analogue stick. I do admit though, it's a shame the GamePad doesn't have the analogue triggers from the GameCube as this would be a superb improvement overall. You don't always want to run full throttle around all corners, nor is it overly nice to bash the acceleration button to manage your top speed.

MiiVerse integration is great, you can see your friends times etc. within the game at e.g. Speed Camera speed readings, who has the most points, times for races etc. I've not tried online multiplayer yet, but it's all there ready to roll.

If other developers can take a lesson from Criterion on how Wii U games can look and play, us Wii U owners are on to a good thing! Overall the game is slick, fast, smooth, fun to play and extremely impressive to look at - if you have any doubts, ignore them and go buy it!
on 14 November 2013
Beautiful graphics with fabulous attention to detail!
It (almost) seems a crying shame to blast past it all at 180mph!!
Amazing range of exotica to select from.

To be honest I kinda hated this game to begin with!
I just could NOT get used to the handling of the cars, they all seemed to behave like shopping trolleys on ice!!!
But the other night, it all seemed to 'click' and I'm lovin' it.
Fasten your seat-belt, Pump up the volume, annoy a traffic cop and enjoy the high speed pursuit.
I still haven't won any of the proper race events, but I'm getting closer!

MiiVerse integration is a good touch aswell.
You see your friends stats at Speed Cameras, how far they've jumped thru Billboards, Times for races etc.
You can also 'throw down the gauntlet' and isssue challenges to friends.

One gripe I still have, is only having two views to pick from (3rd person from above and 1st person, with no hint of you being in a car at all!!) A first person view from the cockpit, where you see the dashboard and bonnet, like in 'Forza' would be GREAT.

All in all though, a top game.
on 3 April 2014
The game is really good on the wii u game pad options turning of traffic etc is great especially when you want to do jumps etc online is very good bitbad not all people want to do is smash you up lol I only wish EA WOULD RELEASE THE NEW DLC PACK

Overall excellent game Fun smashing cops of the road But cars smash very very easy even with pro mods Crash intros are the worst, race carries on whilst you are watch your crash seen again very slow getting back into race -worst when you are on line Game freezes sometimes common so don't worry

Well worth buying this game lives in my Wii u

I don't no how they can say this game did not sell well This game is grown massive now on the wii u slow catch on some times have had to wait to get on a online game best driving game on the wii u will take some beating hope project cars is just as good or better
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 March 2013
Picked this up today and I'm very impressed. Criterion have done a fantastic job porting this across. It plays very similar to Burnout Paradise but what struck me most is the performance. The graphics are probably the best looking on the Wii U with a rock solid frame rate and PC resolution textures. Playing off TV with the gamepad is flawless, you got online multiplayer with the ability to voice chat through the gamepad with no mic! Highly recommended.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 November 2013
This is my first ever racing game, so have nothing to compare it against. Excellent graphics, I'm impressed. Great selection of cars to choose from, but I do not seem able to control them without forever crashing into barriers, buildings etc. Game has frozen on quite a few occassions, very annoying having to switch on and off and reload. Overall enjoyable, even though as yet I have not been able to win many races to upgrade my cars. Great that you can go online and complete with other gamers from all over the world.....though I usually come last lol ........maybe in time I will improve!
on 16 May 2015
My wii u collection wouldn't be complete without this game. The graphics are top notch, gameplay is smooth and satisfying. There's a wide range of cars, from classics to concepts, and upgrades can be made to all of them. If you own a wii u the gamepad interaction is actually quite good, making it a welcome extra. One drawback is the lack of local multilayer, although you can race online. A fun experience for all racing gamers out there.
on 24 April 2013
I'm pleased to say that Criterion put that extra effort into Most Wanted and got the game looking more on par with the PC version, then the other console versions. The city landscape which you drive around is huge and there are lots of different things to find and do. In the main game the list is as follows:

1. Events = 61
2. Most Wanted Cars for you to beat and take-down = 10
3. Number of car to find and drive = 41
3. Jack Spots = 123
4. Billboards to be smashed = 156
5. Speed cameras to be triggered = 66
6. Secuity gates to be smashed = 135

Also with the Wii U ultimate speed pack there is a extra 5 cars to be found, 25 additional challenges and 70 more milestones. There is one more most wanted car for you to defeat too. The game can be played in full on the Wii U Gamepad which is always a bonus, if someone wants to watch the tv when you are a middle of a race etc.
Most Wanted plays similar to the amazing Burnout series which were by Criterion as well. The handling of the cars took a bit of getting use to with the Gamepad and for when things get to tough the traffic can be switched off. The speed of this game is very impressive, especially when you use the nitro.
There is a strange Co-Driver mode, where two people control the same car using different controllers. The online multiplayer is great fun and works well. If you have Miiverse friends that own this game as well, then you can see their times for each event and overall score etc. This makes the game very competitive as you get updates when someone beats your time. For all you Mario fans, keep an eye out for the large green pipes ;-)
Overall this is the best one player racing game on the Wii U at the moment. If you want offline multiplayer racing game with your friends and family, then try Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed: Limited Edition (Nintendo Wii U) which is great fun as well.