Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now

on 12 May 2013
I had a prized copy of the collected poems, which like a fool I left on a garden table during a shower which semi-ruined it.
In modern parlance I decided to upgrade to the complete poems which includes 30 unfinished works in their first English version.
It is obvious that this has been a labour of love for the translator,Daniel Mendelsohn, and his Cavafy is gorgeous in its own right.

If there is a problem with this edition it is that it may make you spend a small fortune on books to research the poems characters when your imagination has been fired; no bad thing though.

Harper are to be commended for this edition, the book itself is a thing of beauty let alone the contents.
on 19 August 2013
Poetry books are not suited to e-Reading. I wish I had bought the paper copy so that I could flip easily from one beautiful poem or theme to another, have a look at the index, look at the table of contents. Perhaps I will order a hard copy to satisfy this need. I love the Kindle for novels and histories, but I have learned my lesson: buy poetry in hard copy. Cavafy is a wonderful writer, and has been known for many a year. His 'Ithaca' describes a fantastic dreamworld into which we can all enter. And now that Egypt is in turmoil, it is even more important to read this Egypto-Greek gay author.
on 27 November 2014
I have been reading Cavafy in translation for many years, and in m any different translations. In my view this is the best current translation available on kindle and welll worth buying. As it says in the title its complete, and the translations seem to compare well with the others I have. The one to buy if Cavafy is new to you, and you want to see what he is all about.
on 27 January 2016
Fast delivery, as described.