4.0 out of 5 stars This book has helped me no end
Published on 1 April 2010 by Green Ocean

2.0 out of 5 stars Good tips...shame about the delivery
It seems like there are some good tips in here for talking and communication.

Published on 29 April 2009 by Inner Journey

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has helped me no end, 1 April 2010
I have many, many self-help books on my book shelf. Many of which I haven't finished reading despite having them for years. Leil Lowndes 'How to talk to anyone...' is the most useful, in fact, the best self-help book I have ever purchased. I have finished reading it - yay! And I will now go back and re-read putting into practice many of the tips she has suggested - yay!. In fact over the past week I have put into practice some of the tips and I feel that people have already responded to me differently and I feel more confident.

This book is better than others because a) it is easy to read (the chapters are short, and straight to the point) b) the tips are very, very practical and easy to put into practice you can do most of them almost immediately, and c) it is not boring and written like a school textbook like many other help books.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their communication skills instantly. The only negative comment I have is that there are many references to Leil's 'high society friends' - the average person doesn't associate with the CEO of multi-national companies or have friends that are work for famous actors - so there is a lot of indirect name-dropping which I couldn't relate to but despite this I did think of situations where I could use her advice even though I'm not 'high society'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful, 23 Mar. 2010
I am always a little cynical about these kind of books - this however, is written in a fresh and interesting style that is easy to follow. There have been comments that it is a little patronising in it's tone but I didn't find this. I am intrigued by the whole idea of body language but I think this book takes it one stage further and I have found it very useful indeed. I had a very important interview recently and used a couple of techniques - I felt they helped me to relax and feel a little more in control. One thing to remember though, don't try to use too many at once when you are trying to grasp them!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good tips...shame about the delivery, 29 April 2009
It seems like there are some good tips in here for talking and communication.

However, the stories which Lowndes uses to explain each tip do get a bit annoying after a while and I have to agree with an earlier reviewer about the 'truth' of some of these stories, it seems as if the author is perhaps embellishing some of them to enthuse the reader into becoming a walking, talking charm-bot. Credit to Lowndes enthusiasm, but it does get a little nauseous.

Perhaps if the tips were presented in a more succint and less exuberant manner, then it may serve as a better read for getting Lowndes useful tips across. Saying this, each tip is presented in a small box containing no more than a couple of sentences to summarise so you can always just flcik through and grab hold of these little pointers.

All in all though, a little disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, techniques work, but author doesn't like people, 1 Mar. 2000
Hi
I found this book interesting; I've tried many of the techniques and found that they work very well.
Unfortunately, the author has little genuine warmth, empathy or interest in other people.
One example (not untypical). The authors 'good friend' had started a business and Leil (the author) introduced her to an important - powerful - contact. The author's friend 'messed up' when she contacted the 'important person' - she didn't have a pen and asked him to wait a few minutes whilst she got one. The author's reaction 'that's the last time I'll introduce her to anyone'. Jeez - I'm glad she's not my 'good friend'.
I thoroughly recommend it to anybody who wants to communicate more effectively i.e. get what they want out of other people - respect, friendship, business, a job, etc.
However don't let it turn you into a self-centered, manipulative, jerk.
Remember that communications techniques can help in one off relationships (e.g. a job interview, sales call), can help lubricate new relationships (a first date), and increase your social standing (working a party, or social engagement).
They can't help in long-term relationships (when a date becomes your girl/guy, on the job, parenting, etc.) For that you need to invest in your character.
Happy reading
Afam Edozie

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here, 18 May 2012
I have to say I was really looking forward to reading this book. I think everyone would like to have a few more social tools in their toolbox. And there are a few good ones as well as some funny anecdotes, but for the most part and as other reviewers have pointed out, what's on offer here amounts to little more than plain old common sense. I think most people know these things and but Lowndes spells it all out in idiot-proof language with a lot of waffle. In fact, there is so much filler in some places that sometimes when I finished a chapter, I couldn't remember what the main point was and had to go back and find it. I think if the book were about half as long but with the same number of chapters, it would have been a lot more effective. The author also focuses much more on hobnobbing, social climbing, and work environment and very little on making friends and talking to people in normal situations, which is more what I was after. I wasn't so irked about the advice given being manipulative as others have mentioned, but you probably wouldn't want to use a lot of these tricks too liberally if you didn't want to run the risk of being branded a phoney. I have tried a couple of them out with good results, but in eyedropper quantities. Not a bad read, a bit boring sometimes, and no, it isn't really what it claims to be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas, 5 Nov. 2010
Basically if you can look at what she said in an objective manner then this book is ok. Some of the things she talks about seam like good ideas while others just seam to be something that she has pulled out of one experience with some random person. I think its worth a read as long as your not gona try and follow it tooth and nail. Read and adopt the principles that seam good to you and that make sense. Even if they are all good principles you will only benefit from the ones that you really agree with, trying to do the ones you don't actually believe have any merit will just mean you don't do them correctly or do them so werid that it wont work or worse

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful book but not what it says on the tin, 23 Sept. 2003
By A Customer
Dont get me wrong, this is a really useful book with lots of great ideas, all backed up with research into human nature.
A lot of the stuff is common sense, but it is useful to have it confirmed so that the ideas are in the forefront of your mind when you are next socially climbing. (If thats what you want to do!!). However this is really a book for those that already have quite competent social skills and are socially confident. It is also rather aimed at the American personality.
It is easy and enjoyable to read and reeks of optimism.
But it is not a lesson in the basic skills for those that are shy to talk to others, it is more about the fine-tuning of existing communication skills.

1.0 out of 5 stars utterly disappointing, DO NOT BUY. If you already have, then DO NOT READ., 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships (Kindle Edition)
doesn't do what it says on the tin! Unbelievably poor. Only really useful to those who are unable to talk to anyone at all and have absolutely no conversational skills. If that's the stage you're at then this book will help but as for the rest of us who are able to converse with others on a daily basis, don't let yourselves be fooled by the extremely over ambitious title.

One section I read was when the author was hired to teach a trade association "scintillating conversation" as the keynote speaker on networking. She meets the head of the association, a Mrs Devlin, and begins with the usual "where are you from?" and "what do you do?". Well Mrs Devlin says she's from Columbus, Ohio and the conversation comes to a halt. The author has no further conversation, she's stumped and cannot think of anything to say to continue the conversation or to move it forward or somehow divert it from imminent disaster. She then goes on to advise her readers that we should provide additional information about our hometown so that the other person has something to latch on to in order to continue the conversation. However, the author does not teach us how to deal with this particular situation. She does not teach you how to talk to anyone! I read on looking for her resolution to this predicament, preparing myself for what must have been exotically inspirational and completely out of this world. Something which sets this author, top conversationalist and networking guru to the lofty heights which she obviously deserves...but nothing, not a thing. It's like she whimpered off and later gave her speech, took the money and ran for her life.

She later goes on to research Columbus, Ohio and talk about all the facts she has learned. She also mentions that there are a number of Columbus's throughout the United States which is why one has to say "I'm from Columbus, Ohio" and not just Columbus.

I could not believe what I was reading. She could not continue a conversation because she was not given a lead, an opening into another area of conversation which she could easily pursue. So that means we can only "Talk to Anyone" who gives us conversational cues and just like the author, we can't talk to anyone. It led me to think that the author wanted us to research and find facts about every major town or city, just as she had about Columbus, so that we wouldn't find ourselves in this embarrassing situation. There was no Eureka moment but the exact opposite. This book is such a let down. Instead of being inspirational and providing sound advice or some questioning technique to enable you to talk to anyone, it tells you how to provide additional information in your answers so that the other person can continue the conversation if he or she so wishes! Surely she could have responded with "oh, what's it like in Columbus?" or "that's somewhere I've always wanted to visit because a college friend of mine...". Surely someone of Leil's stature in this field could have come up with something?

As another reviewer has written. I can't believe I've paid money to this author for this crap.

2.0 out of 5 stars A book onbody language rather than talking., 10 Nov. 2009
I bought this book hoping to discover some useful small talk techniques. How to draw things from other people that you can use to create conversation. This isn't covered in this book. This is a book almost exclusively about body language, not talking.

The insights aren't especially new or useful either - full of stuff like "smile when you first meet people".

The best thing about this book is that it is broken down into specific techniques with an illustrative anecdote which makes for easy reading.

The worst thing is that it is written in that sickly insincere "Oh my God, already" American style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results so far !, 2 Oct. 2004
Tom (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm a reasonably successful person, if a bit shy, and I've always had the nagging feeling that if I could socialise more easily then my luck and my career would improve. I set about improving my social skills and bought this book. Wow ! I read the first two techniques and as I was helping out at a trade show the next day I had the perfect opportunity to try them out. I must say that these simple techniques made a huge difference to the response I got from the customers and potential customers at the show. It seemed like they were hanging on my every word, plus I felt a lot more comfortable talking to them. I now can't wait to learn and try the other techniques.
Perhaps these techniques would seem obvious and second nature to people who are already good at socialising (good for them), but if you are one of the shy, tongue-tied people like me, then this book is worth 100 times its price, if only for spelling out what these 'obvious' techniques are. Thank you Leil !