5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the basics
Published on 3 May 2011 by Dirk Benade

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 2 Nov 2011 by Marie

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Nov 2011
Perhaps it can be a useful reference book for some, but I don't think that the pictures were as well designed as they could have been. Unlike other books which feature the muscle in question and grey out the surrounding muscles, this book simply illustrates the muscle in question only. Which leaves you wondering where exactly it is sitting amongst the neighbouring muscles. This fact alone made this book rather disappointing for me, but like i say, others may like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the basics, 3 May 2011
This was prescribed reading for my yoga teacher training course and I found it a very useful study aid. I am also getting good mileage from it in studying for sports and remedial massage. The information is presented simply with clear, aesthetically pleasing diagrams and a useful standard format divided into: Latin or Greek translation of the muscle name with description of the muscle; Origin; Insertion; Action; Nerve; Basic functional movement; Sports that heavily utilise this muscle; Movements or injuries that may damage this muscle; Self stretches, Strengthening exercises.

My favourite bits of this book:
* The mini diagram in the top left with origin/insertion colour coded in red/blue is a brilliant learning aid.
* Having each muscle on a double page with diagram on left and text on right means this is easy to reference and use.
* Mini illustrations of strengthening exercises and self stretches are instantly understandable.

Limitations noted by other reviewers include that there are some missing muscles and that there is limited detail. I agree this is true, but personally I consider this is one of the book's strengths depending on your field of study. For me it offered the essentials without drowning me in information. As an example there is no description of the number of smaller muscles of the pelvic floor. However from a sports and body work perspective these have limited functional use (the reproductive and digestive systems are ancillary rather than central to my fields of study) and so for my purposes their omission wasn't a concern.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Concise Book Of Muscles, 7 Nov 2008
M. Horne (UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book after starting my Anatomy & Physiology course, as I want to study holistic and sports massage after. This is truly a fantastic book and very informative. The detail about the muscles includes the origin and insertion, the actions and also what stretching exercises are used for each muscle.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to do massage or who is currently studying A&P. The illustrations are brilliant and it is very 'user friendly'. The latin names of the muscles are explained and all the body terms are explained in great detail.

I have recommended this book to my class and most of them have purchased it and are extremely pleased, and it accompanies us in each of our lessons! Name a muscle and it's there. BRILLIANT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 31 Oct 2009
P. J. Windsor "Phil" (UK) - See all my reviews
Give some great exercise ideas, stretches and also ideas about what move the muscle actually helps with. This this information your able to create custom exercises for those muscle groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for the beginner gym instructor..., 15 April 2009
As someone who is studying to become a personal trainer, I found this book extremely helpful in my understanding and learning of muscles - where they are situated within the body, where they insert/originate, planes of movement, and the different stretches and exercises for each muscle / muscle group. Each diagram is clear and concise as well. Overall this book is helpful if you are having trouble remembering the names and locations of muscles, and is a must buy for a budding personal trainer like myself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 8 Jan 2014
If you are learning muscles at GCSE level or for the first time, it will do. If you are studying at a higher level then its poor, images and info just not detailed enough. Also quite confusing for example images of the hamstring muscles shows images of both left and right leg so kept confusing me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Anatomy, 23 Dec 2013
I qualified as a personal trainer earlier this year and ordered this when studying. It is a great book and I strongly recommend it! Very well put together and easy to understand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sports Rehab Student, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Concise Book of Muscles, Second Edition (Kindle Edition)
This book is very useful in my degree and by far the best book i have on muscles yet! Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars New up to date version, 7 July 2013
F. Mclean "A Survivor" (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This is an up to date version of the book I already have and has more muscles in it. I really didn't want to have to buy the book as I already had the first edition but finally decided to purchase it and must admit that I am glad I did. It will definitely help me with my Diploma course.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 6 July 2013
Excellent book, realy usefull and many pictures. I'm phisiotherapist and realy recommend this book. Im jusing this book every day.