4.0 out of 5 stars Wild adventure, 4 April 2013
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
I found "This Is Me" by Danny Wilks on the reading list of a friend and having read a few `wilderness' stories in the past myself I was intrigued enough to buy the book.
In it Danny Wilks describes his journey along the Canadian Coast to Alaska in his kajak with very limited access to civilisation and its luxuries, few encounters with other people, his interaction with nature and wildlife and not least the US Immigration authorities - a species of their own
The book is written in a basic English, as if told over a beer in a bar, which is probably my only real criticism. Having said that, the author forewarns the readers about this and compared with some comparable best sellers, like "The Long Way Round" by Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Boorman, Wilks' prose is certainly not inferior to some of his fellow wilderness writers.
The story however is a very good one and an honest account of his journey. I loved the sense of reality Wilks created in his writing, something that is missing from the many TV programmes aiming to give us that sense of `experience' by filming people in the wild, when the viewer knows there is a crew behind the camera.
This is a story as it has happened, not all Hollywood / Jack London style dramatic but quite an adventure with a lot of anecdotes and ideas that make this book a very worthwhile read for those who want to read a real story.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
very well written felt as if he was sitting telling the story had watched the video and could see the places he was talking about very well done

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read!!!, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant read!!!! Great adventure story didn't put it down untill I finished the book in fact I read it twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational story of courage and determination, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
A book for all adventurers and leaders, easy to read and follow. Danny shows how sheer determination combined with a sense of achievement can prevail. If your planning your own adventure or looking for inspiration then this is the book for you. Just enough detail to take you on the trip as you read through the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Adventure Read, 13 Aug 2014
Michelle Halbert "maxi13" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
On a wet weekend in Scotland I found Danny's film on youtube (definitely worth watching the full film) and after wanted to know more about his adventure I downloaded the book (my first kindle book)! I really enjoyed how it was written as if Danny was with you telling you the story being open and honest about his humble beginnings to his epic adventure. One thing that comes across a lot more in the book than the film is how hard the journey was. Congratulations Danny a brilliant book to relive your North American expedition and worthy of my first Amazon review!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is his trip, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
Ok I admit to having a sometimes irrational love for Canada and North America in general, but I didn't let that influence how I felt about this book.
Reading this book it does genuinely come across as though the author is telling the story sat around a campfire or on a porch with a cold beer.
It was a joy to read and being someone who would love to do something like this or a road trip (my time has long gone), it was great making the journey through the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is me by Danny wilks, 15 April 2014
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
A great read easy but very honest and enjoyable.The book would suit most readers who enjoy to read a real life adventure

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
A great little read. Makes you feel like you could be on the journey with him.. amazing what he did with little money and experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
I bought this after watching the YouTube film of Danny's trip which was also highly enjoyable.
This book shows that you can do an awful lot without tons of expensive kit and support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: This is me (Kindle Edition)
Having watched his video on the web I was left wanting a little more and TA-DA! the book was out and what a great read it was. I loved the modesty of the whole thing as adventure writers often just bang on about how amazing they are.... This book shows that the journey and achievements can do that without it being said.

Interesting use of a flip flop by the way (don't worry it's not rude).

This is me