on 21 March 2013
This is the sixth in the STAC mystery series but the first one that I've read. However it didn't matter that I hadn't started at the beginning of the series. I soon became familiar with the likable Joe, his Lazy Luncheonette cafe and the Sanford Third Age Club members.
The book is an easy-read 'cosy crime' and it kept me hooked to the very end with all its twists and turns.
My husband enjoyed it too - and he can be very hard to please where books are concerned!
on 24 May 2013
I've enjoyed all the series so far and gave this one 5 instead of 6 stars only because some readers may find the plot a little predictable, however, don't be put off as there is usually a little twist to the tales and have a good element of humour. The characters are likeable, even grumpy old Joe who owns and runs a café somewhere in Yorks (my imagination tells me it could be between Wakefield and Doncaster).
Having been born and bred in Yorkshire, I love the accuracy of the locations of the club's many outings, which makes it easy to visualise.
This tale takes us not far from Joe's café. Poor old love starved Joe thinks he's found someone at last and persuades one of his employees/best friends to ask the lady in question to join him and his 3rd age club on the Valentine's outing. Of course, after a good start, things don't go according to plan.
If you like mysteries that are 'comfortable' without the usual gratuitous violence, then you will enjoy this.
on 14 June 2013
This is a thoroghly enjoyable read. Loved everything about it. I have read a few books by this author and enjoyed every one of them. The characters are real and down to earth. I could not guess who the killer was. Very well plotted and well witten.
After I finished reading it I was still enjoying the memory of it for a couple of days. The humour is so well done.
What I want to know is - how can I join the Sanford 3rd Age Club? They are my kind of people.
on 13 February 2013
This is the sixth book in the series and once again the author has done himself proud,i have really enjoyed all the books in the series and this one doesn't disappoint, the book is well written the characters are fantastic and funny and the the reader doesn't get to find out who the murderer is until the last few pages,i read this in two days,i was completely hooked. well worth a read if you like murder mysteries, i just hope the author will be writing another gem like this.
on 27 July 2013
Once you start this wonderful series of books (The Filey Connection being the first) you are drawn in.

The characterisation is fantastic.

I love Joe and his 'girls'.

Again, well written with no pfaff.

Do yourself a favour and get lost in these great books.
on 19 March 2013
The first of the author's books I have read. I found it very easy to get into and hard put down! Liked the honest humanity of the main characters and the plot. I will be reading more.
on 2 August 2013
........ and kicking. I wish i had as many holidays as Joe and co., they have so much excitement. A good fun read with some great characters and puzzles.
on 9 May 2015
I am finding this series is deteriorating. The relentless harping on about Joe's grumpiness and the cliched incompetence of the police is getting tedious.
on 12 April 2013
I would recomend this book and the writers other books to any one who enjoys a light read thats not too boged down Only wished he could write quicker ,
on 7 January 2014
I have enjoyed all the sanford 3rd age books and am just about to get the 10 very easy to read the plots are enjoyable and you have to live grumpy joe