4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read! Nice Story
I will start my review by saying, this wasn't one of my favourite books but I did enjoy it a lot. What made me want to read this book was the first line in the blurb "Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college room mate or punch him". When I saw that, I instantly thought this was going to be a book I like. And I was right! I did enjoy it...
Published on 17 Jan. 2013 by Telss

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 23 months ago by Annie

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read! Nice Story, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: My Favorite Mistake (Paperback)

I must admit it didn't keep me as gripped as other books I've read such as Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McQuire or Easy by Tamarra Webber or The Soulfinder Series by Joss Stirling. I found it boring and dragging in places. I felt these characters weren't true to themselves. They both had massive secrets. Taylor had only told one person about it, then by the end of the book, it seems she has told everyone. I didn't get why she found it so hard to tell Hunter, but then once she had, she was able to tell all her friends.

The ending of the book wasn't great. I preferred the beginning of the book more than any other time of the story. I loved the banter between Taylor and Hunter. I also enjoyed it when they blew hot and cold with each other.

I really did enjoy this book. I would recommend it if you liked books such as Always You and Almost: A Love Story. I won't be reading it again but I might check out other books by Chelsea M Cameron. 4 out of 5!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 April 2013
This review is from: My Favourite Mistake (New Adult Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
Taylor Caldwell can't believe it when campus housing assigns Hunter Zaccadelli to be her new college roommate. He's an arrogant, guitar playing, tattooed hottie, who rubs her up exactly the wrong way. They make a bet: if she can convince him she truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment. The problem is, the more time they spend together, the less she hates him.

I'm giving this book a 3.5 rating, out of 5.

I've read some great New Adult titles lately, unfortunately the romance portion of this novel disappointed me.

WRITING AND CHARACTERS

I was a fan of the distinctive side characters in this novel and Taylor's p.o.v narration was fun (although her character was quite immature). Her roommates were a riot and I really enjoyed reading the scenes with them in; I guess the best part of this novel for me was the humour - despite the fact that the plot was designed to offer up quite the emotional roller coaster, it was the funny lines that kept me turning the pages. Both Taylor and Hunter were given secretive, dark back stories which helped keep a sense of suspense and intrigue throughout as well. Hunter's characterisation was inconsistent though, it was like the author had just decided to chuck `sexy' attributes at him whenever they occurred to her during the writing process. I also enjoyed the university setting and the dormitory atmosphere, but I was a little confused about all the different modules Taylor was taking (French, History etc), when her major was Women's Studies.

I wish somebody would re-edit this book and properly format the dialogue in it however. As it stands there are numerous incidents when dialogue quotes are closed, a new paragraph begins with new open quotation marks, and yet it's the same character speaking! This was SO confusing!

THE ROMANCE

The author had 433 pages to convince me that Taylor and Hunter were a good fit, but she failed: love and domestic violence are pretty much OPPOSITES, so when Hunter tells Taylor towards the end of the novel "I'll be your punching bag" and literally means it THIS IS NOT ROMANTIC, it's sick and twisted and left me feeling dirty (but not in a good way!).

There was some great banter between the pair, but often difficult conversations were circumnavigated by Hunter singing some Top 40 song on his guitar - not an adequate substitute for real dialogue - and at the start of the novel Taylor swings straight from disliking Hunter's hound dog nature to fancying the pants off of him, so I found the emotional progression all a bit choppy and confusing. And don't get me started on their nonsensical bet, the terms of which come out of nowhere....

Side note: I found the `too cute' overuse of their surnames when addressing each other a bit gag worthy, but that's a personal thing I guess.

For similar reviews please visit my blog: [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 31 Dec. 2014
This was one of those books that I bought when trying to find some new New Adult novels to read as I had been reading the same authors over and over again. I didn't know what to expect at all when I went into it.

Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed within the first few pages but as I was on a train and needed something to read, I carried on with it. To start with, the main character Taylor is a bit crazy which didn't make her the most likeable person in the world. The plot revolves around her and two other friends who live together at college in co-ed dorms. When a guy turns up at the door and says he's their new roommate she completely overreacts. I mean, she knew a guy would be allowed to live there and if she didn't like that, she shouldn't have moved in! Then, when the guy (Hunter) gets a bit too close for comfort she punches him right in the face instead of telling him to back off. That's not okay in my book especially as he didn't really do anything wrong.

Hunter on the other hand I did like but then compared to Taylor anyone would have been nice. The thing with Hunter is that Taylor sees him as, and calls him, an ass. He's not really though. He does come across as quite cocky and a bit full of himself but he's funny with it at the same time. Even when Taylor is either beating him up a bit, calling him names and generally being mean to him, Hunter is incredibly patient. He does the nicest things like sings for her, cooks amazing dinners and has beautiful jewellery made for her. I think if anything, Hunter is probably a bit of a push over.

The plot didn't really do a lot for me. As mentioned in the plot synopsis, Hunter makes a bet with Taylor that could result in him being homeless. Taylor only cares about herself in this situation and wants him gone. The plot really focuses on Taylor and Hunter spending more time with each other and getting to know one another. Each character has a past and the reveal of what has happened doesn't occur until a long way in the book. While I didn't really like the plot overall, I did like seeing Hunter trying to interact and win over Taylor because he was quite funny.

So, My Favourite Mistake wasn't for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining New Adult story, 28 Oct. 2012
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Favorite Mistake (Paperback)
I'm on a bit of a "New Adult" or "Older YA" kick at the moment and it surprises me how many of these books are written by independent authors who self publish their work. I've really done a 180 on my views of self published books lately, and My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron has contributed to this. As this book is aimed at the older end of the YA market, naturally it does contain mature content such as sex, swearing, violence and a scene containing sexual assault. I'm only putting that out there because I know someone people are sensitive about these subjects and it might be a deal breaker for you.

So, we have three college roommates looking for a fourth to share a house with and in walks Hunter Zaccadelli, who has been sent by the school's housing office. The only room available is sharing with Taylor and she's all "HELL NO". Boy with tragic past meets girl with tragic past, although at first their interactions are quite entertaining, for the most part thanks to Hunter's cocky, flirty attitude and Taylor's sassy retorts. Taylor is determined to get rid of him and he ends up making a bet with her - he will leave if she can convince him that she either truly hates him or truly loves him. There's a fine line between love and hate, it would seem.

Hunter Zaccadelli is a walking, talking cliché of a bad boy and whilst he too had a tragic past, he didn't seem to suffer for it other than wanting to keep his secrets. He seemed relatively unaffected in fact judging by his behavior and if I'm honest, I would have liked more depth from him as a character. Taylor was a very sassy girl who had toughened up her exterior quite considerably since being attacked some years previously. She decided that she would not let any guy close to her ever again and was known as "The Ice Queen" in high school.

I liked the way Taylor's resolve was gradually broken down, how she felt conflicted a lot of the time and generally tried to fight her growing attraction towards Hunter. She would get mad when she was uncomfortable and used that as a deflective technique, and I understand that part of her character. I did question some of her motives at time, and I won't go into that for fear of spoiling the entire book for you but I will say that I didn't agree with how violent Taylor was. I mean, she attacks her new roommate within hours of meeting him and what did he do wrong? He was just play flirting with her. I guess Taylor lashed out because he backed her into a corner and she felt threatened and I understand the girl has issues but to physically punch a guy you've just met in the nose and then grab his balls is perhaps a little too far.

The writing was fast paced and flowed really nicely but one of the things I did pick up on was that some of the dialogue seemed to span half a page at times with no actions or descriptions added - it was just dialogue and that felt a little weird to me as the characters would be doing SOMETHING physical like looking away, staring, looking nervous or whatever.

Now, admittedly I will say that it was probably a massive mistake on my part to read this just after reading Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire because I loved that book like woah and I was worried that it had ruined me for other books (the jury is still out people). Anyway, what I found in this book was a similar story that was lighter in places, very funny at times but ultimately...not as good I'm afraid. However, it was highly entertaining, and I appreciated the multiple laugh out loud moments. Overall, My Favorite Mistake held my attention, made me laugh and I would definitely read something from this author again.

1.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Mistake, 25 Nov. 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Favorite Mistake (Paperback)
I hate to say it but this is going to end up being more of a rant than a review, I just can't talk about this book without going into detail about the main character's completely unacceptable behaviour and I have a whole heap of quotes I'll be using to back that up. I really hate this trend that female characters have to act like a complete cow to be seen as a strong woman, the trend that says it is OK for a girl to beat up on a guy because she has had a bad experience in the past. Domestic violence is WRONG, I don't care if the perpetrator is male or female - the ONLY time it is acceptable to resort to violence is when you are defending yourself from a physical assault. If you are beating people up for any other reason then you need to seek help.

My Favourite Mistake starts with the main character Taylor making the following statement:

The first time I met Hunter Zaccadelli, I punched him in the face. Granted, he completely and totally deserved it. He also asked for it, in so many ways.

I was initially prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt because we don't know what he did to get that reaction from her but when the scene plays out I was shocked at her behaviour. Taylor has just moved into a new coed dorm at her college along with her friends Renee and Darah and they are waiting for their fourth room mate to arrive. In walks Hunter and Taylor is horrified to discover that she will be sharing her room with a guy. I can kind of understand that reaction but it's not exactly Hunter's fault that he was assigned to their room. (On a side note would a college really place a guy in a room with three girls? I'm not sure I believe that!). Hunter is a good looking guy with tattoos, a guitar and a flirty attitude so Taylor immediately pegs him as a player without even spending five minutes getting to know him. He makes the terrible mistake of flirting with her and stepping into her personal space but does Taylor react like a normal person and ask him to back off? No she punches him in the face (hard enough to leave a bruise) and knees him in the nuts before storming out of the apartment. Her friends don't seem particularly surprised by her reaction which just confused me - if one of my friends acted like that I'd want to know what the heck was wrong with them! The only person who questions her behaviour is her sister and this is the conversation they have about it:

"Aw, Kid, why did you do that?"
"He cornered me, what was I supposed to do?" My hand was red and starting to turn a lovely purple shade.
"You could have told him to back off. That would have been the logical thing to do."
"You know I'm not a logical person."

Well no Taylor quite obviously isn't a logical person - she's actually a violent head case. From this point onwards Taylor is consistently rude to Hunter, she calls him names, snaps at him and does everything she can to get him out of her life. For his part Hunter is patient with her, he cooks for her, he buys her jewellery, he goes out of his way to make sure she is safe and happy and he continues to banter with her while all this time she continues to call him names for absolutely no reason! I can't for the life of me understand what such a nice guy sees in her. There is just nothing likeable about Taylor, even when we eventually find out what she went through in her past it couldn't excuse her current behaviour. I felt bad about what had happened to her and could understand her being wary around men and finding it difficult to trust people but that is still no excuse for her getting violent.

I kept hoping we'd see her get some kind of anger management but she refuses to accept any kind of help and that wasn't the only time she hit Hunter either. She threatens him constantly and the second time she attacks him was when he committed the terrible crime of trying to wrap her in a blanket because she was shivering. Here is part of her attack against him:

"Stop it!" I thrashed, but he wouldn't let go of me. He tried to pick me up, but I was ready for him, landing punches and kicks right and left. His face was blank. Somehow he got me to my feet, and the blanket fell away. It was like I'd unleashed something dark and violent that had been stirring inside me since that night eight years ago.
"Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!" I pounded on his chest. I slapped his face and I kicked him. I kept going until my lungs were heaving and my arms were sore and a strangled sob had escaped my mouth.
He stood with his arms at his sides. His face was red from me slapping him.

and this is her sad attempt at an apology:

"I'm still sorry I beat you," I said, touching his perfect face.
"How's my face looking?"
I glanced up. He was going to look quite pretty tomorrow. "A little battered."
"That's okay. I'll just tell everyone I was in a bar fight."
"What, you're ashamed to say you were hit by a girl?"
"No, but I'm worried you'll get hauled in for domestic violence," he said with a smile.
"Okay, fine."

I think that was one of the most disturbing conversations in the whole book. He is making excuses to cover for her and protect her which is classic victim behaviour in domestic violence situations. The fact that she ribs him for being embarrassed to have been hit by a girl rather than worrying about her own actions was just completely disgraceful. She had kicked, punched and slapped him like a mad thing while he just stood there and took it. If that scene was written so that Hunter had been the one attacking Taylor can you imagine the public reaction? People would have been rightly horrified so why is it acceptable for Taylor to be the one doing the attacking? I'll answer that question for you - IT ISN'T!!! There is no way in a million years you'll ever convince me that she is anything other than a violent bully with anger management issues who should be in therapy. I might have been able to forgive her over time if she'd owned up to her problems and taken steps to resolve them but she doesn't and Hunter doesn't help with this either when he says things like this:

"I'm not coping with it, according to my therapists. There have been many."
"F*** them. If breaking things and punching people every now and then helps you, I'll be your punching bag and we can get you some stuff to throw off the roof. Deal?"

He's offering to be her punching bag if that makes her feel better? No, just NO. That isn't the right way to go about things! He should be offering to help her find a decent therapist or he should be telling her he isn't prepared to put up with the way she treats him and then running a million miles away from her. Taylor's behaviour isn't right, it isn't acceptable and it's only going to get worse if she doesn't deal with her issues. I'm disturbed that this story is considered a romance and that not one of her friends or family members try to put a stop to her actions. I'm also annoyed with Hunter for letting her treat him the way she does, he doesn't just let her get away with it he actually encourages her to carry on.

I think this is the first time I've ever given a book that I actually finished reading 1 star (I usually save that rating for books I didn't finish) but I can't bring myself to give it a 2 star "it was OK" rating because that feels too much like I'm saying domestic violence is OK. I've seen the results of domestic violence first hand and it is NEVER OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and funny, 12 Jun. 2014
If there is one thing I look for in a book is sarcastic witty banter, this had it from the first page. I loved the fact that Hunter and Taylor continually clashed throughout even though underneath it all there was sexual tension slowly bubbling away. I read this book in an afternoon, it was a light easy read that had me grinning like a fool the whole time

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhianna, 17 May 2014
An amazing story. I don't get hooked on many books but I stayed up all nights to complete it. 5 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have read in a long time, 24 April 2014
I never thought Taylor and Hunter would get together I also never knew that Taylor almost getting raped was her big secrete same for Hunter and his parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars what an amazing book, 2 April 2014
Amazing absolutely loved it! I love the characters and they way its written, inspiering. You can really find a little bit of yourself in each chatacter.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 24 Feb. 2014
I couldn't put the book down , powerful story
Could relate to it a lot
Will definitely recommend it .