Published 6 months ago by Laurie wonnacott

1.0 out of 5 stars Good for large files, very painful for small files
The main reason for buying an SSD is it's vast speed over a traditional magnetic disk when it comes to reading a vast amount of small files. It's also much faster when it comes to reading/writing from random locations and does not suffer from fragmentation of files.

Consider a normal western digital, magnetic, portable disk: [Source: [...]
Here are it's...
Published 15 months ago by D. Stellini

1.0 out of 5 stars Good for large files, very painful for small files, 18 July 2013
D. Stellini "David" (Malta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Integral 256GB USB 3.0 Portable Solid State Drive (Accessory)

Consider a normal western digital, magnetic, portable disk: [Source: [...]
Here are it's speeds:
Sequential Read : 115 MB/s (Example - reading a large movie from the disk)
Sequential Write : 114 MB/s (Example - writing a large movie to the disk)
Random Read 512KB : 43.5 MB/s (Example - reading a lot of small documents to the disk)
Random Write 512KB : 62.3 MB/s (Example - copying a lot of small documents to the disk)
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.574 MB/s (Example - copying many small files, working with virtual machines, development)
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.558MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 0.574 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.540 MB/s

You will notice that the smaller the writes get, the slower the speeds. This is because the magnetic disk has to rotate for the computer to be able to read or write to the correct location, making writing small files very slow.

SSDs however, do not have this problem - because they have no moving parts.
For example, let's consider a Samsung 830 SSD:
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 24.596 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 69.833 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 300.302 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 90.798 MB/s

This is why an SSD shines. With such limited space, I couldn't care less about copying very large files. I need an SSD to get good performance when when copying a VAST ammount of documents and small files, or when booting an operating system from it, or when using virtual machines.

Now, here is the benchmark for this portable SSD:
Sequential Read : 250.113 MB/s
Sequential Write : 43.128 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 211.588 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 35.951 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 9.741 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : ------>>>>>> 1.039 MB/s <<<<<------
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 10.104 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.210 MB/s

I'm giving this product a one star because it's a plain ripoff. Writing small files is SO SLOW that it's hardly even usable. It's USB controller is so poor that it cannot handle decent read and write speeds with small files, which is what I needed it for. Complete waste of money for me, and sorely disappointed. I will update my review if there is a workaround, but I have enabled caching in windows and tweaked other settings with no luck.

Breakdown:
- 5 star: Extremely slow for small files
+ 1 star: Good form factor (small) and fast for large files

Conclusion:

You can get a normal USB 3.0 hard drive which is twice as fast as this one when writing large files (and half as fast when reading large files) with the same speeds when it comes to small files. Oh, and the magnetic drive has four times the space at a cheaper price compared to this one. It's such a disappointment that an HDD can compete with this SSD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect alternative to carrying a USB drive if you need a lot of space., 27 April 2014
Read a lot of reviews before buying where people seemed to be having slow speeds. It's definitely not slow and I think those people most likely don't understand how it works. I copied 4 or 5 blue ray quality movies onto it at 165MB/s every time. Slaps em right on - no waiting at all. I copied my music library over and this was much slower. It averaged about 40MB/s and that's pretty standard. I copied over all my samples - even slower on even smaller files. This is simply how it works. No complaints whatsoever because you can't do better. I'm sure some people will be getting broken drives. Sadly that's the way it goes. You win some you lose some with cheap products (and shockingly, it is a cheap product), but I reckon you'll mostly win with this one. I wouldn't buy this if you are looking for back up storage. At this stage a large cheap external SSD is mostly a convenience feature. It's excellent for day to day use with very high speeds and easy portability, but it isn't as reliable as a standard HDD as a backup. That's not to say it may not function great for many years, or that I think it's fragile. I don't honestly know how drop proof it is, and the truth is it always depends - so I'm not going to drop it at THAT price per GB. All that said, a 512GB SSD at that price is pretty much unheard of. It's remarkable that this is as affordable as it is, as fast as it is, and as small and weightless as it is for the price. SSDs just aren't comparable to the price per GB of other drive. It's fair to say that at this point in time they are in many ways a different product to other hard drives. They aren't quite the next gen yet, but they serve a totally different purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars A glorified USB memory stick, 30 Oct 2013
I am so disappointed by the performance of this drive, and would advise potential customers to seriously consider what they wish to use it for. I compared this USB 3.0 SSD against my old USB 2.0 external HDD, and my laptop's internal SSD (see benchmark results: [...] You will see that although the read speed is quite respectable, the write speed is about 1/3rd of what the old USB 2.0 HDD is capable of.

For this reason, the drive is only really usable as a glorified memory stick. This may be fine for most users, but power users who want a proper external SSD (for example, to run virtual machines for laptop demonstrations using NTFS for large files) should steer well clear. Remember this drive costs the best part of £300.

I went through the motions of returning this drive to integral, as they thought that it may be faulty. They said it was and sent a replacement. I found that the write speed was even worse (10.8, down from 11.5MBps)! So now I'm down the cost of a nearly useless drive plus the return postage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor write speeds - returned as unsatisfactory, 23 April 2014
I thought I'd got a really good deal getting a 512Gb SSD for such a good price, but it turned out not to be such a bargain. I bought this to run a Virtual Machine which I previously ran on a smaller Transcend SSD which was great, but too small. As soon as I started using my VM on the new SSD it was clear something was wrong - it ran extremely slowly, to the extent that the VM never actually fully started. Looking at the other reviews on here I saw a few suggesting that while this SSD is great for reading, it's a dog for writing. Sure enough, when I ran my own tests, the average write speed was 18Mb/s - way short of the "Write speed up to 140MB/s" listed in the spec. 18Mb/s is slower than my old SSD, and even slower than my old USB2 external HDD. Completely useless for my purposes. Returned to Amazon for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first step in the right direction, 26 May 2013
In looking for a very lightweight, relatively high capacity external drive, I was keen to avoid mechanical drives as I travel very extensively in sometimes hostile environments where sand is very destructive. Therefore this item suited my needs perfectly - I am now waiting for the next models which I hope will be even smaller, lighter and higher capacity..... In use, this item has meet all my expectations....

5.0 out of 5 stars plays games like a dream, 5 July 2014
Used on my Wii U.
plays games like a dream.

very quick

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for backups & more, 1 April 2014
I wanted an external drive basically to backup photos and videos, but was suprised that, especially for larger files like movies, it was very fast. Since it's also very small (smaller than a credit card), I'm actually considering ditching my usb flash drives and using it for my daily life.

Maybe it's not the best or the fastest in the market, but it certainly is worth the price. The price was the number one factor for my purchase, but I was convinced by the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm using it every day as my external working drive, 20 Mar 2014
I'm very plasead with this drive. Very small, rapid, low energy consumption to work with labtop.
It doesn't work with windows xp.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed on first use, 24 Aug 2013
Within the first hour of use, when making my first backup, the drive became read-only. I contacted Integral and they sent me a form to fill in order to return it. Unfortunately there was personal information on the drive (which was of course undeletable). After an exchange of emails, I was given permission to render the drive useless by drilling through it, and I am now waiting for the replacement.

2nd Jan 2014 - still waiting

1.0 out of 5 stars Random access too slow, 16 Jun 2014
Bought this to run a virtual machine from. Got a great speed copying a few large files (2Gb) but when running the VM it was so slow that it was unusable. I ended up copying it to a USB 3 my passport drive instead. Seems to me this is a 256Gb pen drive. Complete waste of money.