Format: DVD|Change

on 15 October 2013
This is a very heart-rending thriller/drama based on the historical events of the !13th century in Carcassone in France when the search for the Holy Grail flashes back from a 21st century descendant and keeper of the secrets even though she is unaware of it. The purging by Simon de Montfort is cruel and harrowing as people are burned alive because they will not turn from their faith to Catholicism.
The acting is superb and the "chase" kepps you on the edge of your seat throughout with the many twists and turns.
Not really suitable for under 16's I would have thought.but I really "enjoyed" the unfolding and seeing yet again the effects religion has on the world and its societies. No-one wants to live and let live, people can be very greedy for secrets for themselves and want to dominate others with their views.
on 31 December 2014
I watched this movie just before visiting the old town of Carcassonne in southern France and it helped allow my imagination to run wild whilst I was down there!
It's a very good film; loosely based on fact (the relentless persecution of the Cathars), well-produced and, in the main, beautifully acted. Although it skips back and forth from the present day to 13th century France, it is easy enough to follow and includes some stunning footage of the old town and surrounding areas.
In my opinion, the film is better than the book, which seems to occasionally wander off in rather irrelevant directions. Well worth a look if you're interested in French history, good scenery and an unusual story.
(P.S. If you're lucky enough to be visiting that area, DON'T miss Montsegur [mentioned often and shown in the film]. It's a steep climb, but well worth the feelings of despair and resignation, but also fierce determination, that still linger in the old ruin - and, of course, the views!)
on 24 May 2015
I read the book this is based on, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. This item arrived on time along with other purchases, I would certainly buy again from this supplier
on 19 July 2015
I read the book and was interested to see how the characters were portrayed in the film. Other people have reviewed the storyline as it can be confusing between the past and present overlapping but its a very good film and there is a twist at the end which I always enjoy.
on 10 April 2014
Brilliant film just like the book should of been as big as the davinci code far better plot
on 17 February 2015
I read the book late last year and vaguely remember seeing part of the film on TV some time ago. I quite enjoyed the DVD and felt it stayed more or less true to the book.
on 19 April 2013
I was so disapointed with this as I had really been looking forward to it. The cast were fantastic and the quality of acting was great but the book just didn't relate all that well to the screen. I think Kate Mosse's Sepulchre would have translated better on the screen.
on 2 October 2015
Tried but it just didnt grab me.. May try another time
on 7 February 2016
I read the book by Kate Moss a few years ago and jumped at the chance to see it brought to life. In fact, the film is true to the book as much as it can be and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now they should consider making Citadel into a film.
on 26 July 2015
Oh dear... I shouldn't have bothered.