5.0 out of 5 stars Music as MUSIC
I have listened to several recordings of this music. Either I find the recording too polished without ambition for a deeper understanding or they are too and academic.
Published on 5 Aug 2011 by Per Arne Rudberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her Beethoven
Published 1 month ago by J. TIMMERMAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Music as MUSIC, 5 Aug 2011
Per Arne Rudberg "P-A Rudberg" (Vallentuna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
Isabelle Faust is playing this music as MUSIC, without losing the demands on technical skill. She can change from an almost heavy force where you can hear the concentration, to the lightest and most dancing feeling.
She is making the small changes in tempi that are necessary to make the music live. She is also displaying an understanding for both the micro and macro structures.

And it sounds just great!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is wonderful playing..., 29 April 2010
Mr. Robert D. Roy (Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
As a teenager I remember this music being VERY esoteric and 'highbrow'. I got to know these works after borrowing the Salvatore Accardo Lp's from my local music library which were not an easy listen! (I suspect more to do with the sound quality than the playing).

Today, these works are very accessible and every young violinist appears to treat them as a 'rite of passage' before being admitted to the pantheon of being considered a 'Great' violinist. To be sure, there have been great recordings in recent years including Ehnes, Gidon Kremer, Ibragimova, Hilary Hahn (sadly incomplete), and the (IMHO) rather over-rated Julia Fischer version. (There are omissions including Anne-Sophie Mutter and Joshua Bell amongst others).

Surely, Isabelle Faust must be the most recent to be admitted to the summit. Her previous recordings have been superb but this must rank as her greatest achievement yet. The sheer quality of sound is stunning and her vision of these works is rock steady. I've always felt that one notch either way tempi wise can be the difference between a great performance and one that is merely 'superb'. Almost without exception, Faust is on the button. There is something so 'right' about these recordings.

I can't wait for the second volume to appear.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her Beethoven, 8 Aug 2014
J. TIMMERMAN (Lawson, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
Faust is a very assured violinist, I love complete Beethoven Violin Sonatas, very energetic dynamic performances, even a bit wild, yet with plenty of control. They make a nice contrats to the more relaxed set by Capucon. She also does a very creditable Dvorak Violin Concerto + Dumky Trio. Compared to those I was disappointed with the Bach. Steely violin sound for one thing but also too rushed. It's like she is in a speed contest, where she sometimes can hardly keep up with herself. Dazzling it may be, but I like performances that relax a bit more to savour all the nuances in the music. Rachel Podger remains my favourite, with very lyrical performances, a sweet warm tone and precise intonation. Christine Busch is also excellent, a bit faster than Podger but not at a breakneck speed like Faust. Of course these favourites use period instruments, so if you must have modern instruments you could try Faust, but strap yourself in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous Bach, 17 Mar 2013
enthusiast "enthusiast" (sussex, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am something of a Faust fan, it seems. So often her music making seems to talk to me and to draw me in from the word go. It is a thrilling feeling. Few performers do that for me: Richter does almost unfailingly, Celibidache can, Harnoncourt often has. It is fast seeming that Faust is another who often can get right through to me from my first hearing of her performance. Anyway, this is wonderful Bach. Attractive and musical - no sense of the browbeating and technically dominant bludgeoning that some violinists turn this music into - and uplifting. You get a sense that she is at home with this music and loves it rather than that she is afraid and in awe of it. I don't think I have enjoyed unaccompanied Bach as much as this since Grumiaux. But this is not like Grumiaux. It is less soleful and magnificent. But it is honest and filled with nature. I am filled afresh with love for and amazement at these wonderful works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsession, 17 Dec 2011
E. P. Schlaikjer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Of all the CDs that I have bought in the past five years (the advent of a long commute) this one is by far my favorite. I listen to it almost obsessively, and now it also plays in my head unbidden. I have always liked Bach, but these partitas were new to me, and Faust's skill with the violin is just amazing. Sometimes she sounds like three people playing. I plan to buy anything else she does. Just writing this review is making me put the headphones back on...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Aug 2014
Good service. Excellent CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars The attack and the symmetry of playing, 8 Sep 2013
I used to have an excellent recording of Sonatas & Partitas for solo violin by Viktoria Mullova on tape. The playing was very pure and captured the spiritual strength of these pieces. I wore these tapes out and was looking to replace them on CD. However I heard the Faust version on the radio and was struck by the fact that she had Mullova's purity but also an attack which gave much more of an edge to these works. She also captures the wonderful symmetry of the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific playing, 23 Jun 2013
This is one of the really good versions of these works. Assured, unfailingly musical playing and lovely tone right through. The music dances, it talks to you, it has poise. What more could one want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 6 April 2014
I have several versions by different players of this music, where my favourites are Hilary Hahn and Itzack Perlman. I was not expecting a surprise when I added Isabelle Faust to the collection but, after a couple of hearings, I am appreciating her playing as much as any other. Wonderful stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning recording and playing to my uneducated ears, 16 Oct 2011
I was recommended this piece by a colleague at work, he has a Perlman Bach: Solo Sonatas & Partitas - EMI Masters recording of it. To my ears this a finely recorded and excellently played.