1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine recital, 21 Oct 2010
William Burn "gingerburn" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
One might have thought, with the (relatively) recent release of the 40 CD boxed-set of all Schubert's songs, as performed by Graham Johnson and some sixty-odd singers (not all at once, I hasten to add, although that might make for quite an exciting experience), that there would be no need ever to record a Schubert Lied again. Thankfully, Matthias Goerne has overlooked good sense and put together a twelve-disc series of Schubert songs, of which this is the fourth instalment, and this disc really is a delight. The songs are based around the Heliopolis set, some more obviously 'classical' than others, but all sharing a sense of regret and longing for lost worlds, and all being very lovely.

I did feel moved to compare some of these performances with those on the Graham Johnson series, and it made for some really interesting listening. Goerne's tempi are often slower, and the recorded sound is much fuller and warmer; what his disc must perforce lack is the variety offered by being able to listen to a wide range of singers. In the end, though, it is the piano playing that really set this apart for me; too often I find Graham Johnson's accompaniments too clinical for my taste, and Ingo Metzmacher offers a more expressive approach which I find more satisfying to listen to.

To put it bluntly, I shall be looking out the other discs in this series as soon as I can, and you would do well to start with this one.

Schubert: Heliopolis. Lieder, Vol.4