‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any Christian or those interested in spirituality, 1 Sep 2003
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
This is not a book you can rush. You have to take time over it. So often Eastern religions, as seen by Westerners, seem to have the monopoly on meditation and spirituality - when you think of Christians it is usually a different view that springs to mind! Nevertheless, this book is your reminder that there has always been a tradition in the Christian church of meditation, thought, questioning and acceptance and that it's not all about judgementalism, rules, giddy grins, oppression and superiority!
Gerard Hughes will not tell you what to do, so some may not like this because of that. He will, however, show you a way that you can find yourself, your position in life and your relationship with God. He shows that the relationship with God is a mystical experience as well as a Father-Child relationship.
So much modern Christian teaching seems to emphasise the child-like relationship with God. This book acknowledges that relationship, but starts you on the path through your Christian adolescence and into adulthood! It fills a great void and is a must for all Christians and should be read by all humans!

5.0 out of 5 stars God does not have a long beard and a short temper., 19 Feb 1999
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
This book changed me. It cuts through all the religious clap-trap and goes to the heart of the gospel. Gerry dispenses with the God who is ready to punish us for our faults and failings and portrays a God who welcomes all of us. If your faith is in any way tinged by fear, read this. You will leave behind childish, non-thinking Christianity and enter the world of faith. I am a priest and have given this book to many, many people who have been seeking spiritual growth. Everyone loved it. 5 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crucial reading for Christians, 16 May 2007
M. Morton "A Reader" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
I am an Anglican priest, and was introduced to this book at theological college. It is a wonderful piece of spiritual writing, and everybody I know who has read it has rated it highly. Gerard Hughes, a Jesuit and a Catholic priest, writes as someone who has made his own journey of faith and he can help others make the same journey. We need to lay aside the old, frightening images of God and accept Him as he is - the One who loves us and includes us. All Christians (whether Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox) will find something here to help them.

4.0 out of 5 stars a powerful combination of religion and phsychology, 30 Jan 1999
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
This book can change your life if you are already a Christian and even if you are not. It is clearly written and challenging. I was impressed by the way that it covers the principles of Ignation Spirituality and how these can act as guide to your daily and religious life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An awe inspiring read for all denominations, 20 Jan 2000
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
A friend suggested I read this book as it changed her outlook on faith. Well it took my breath away too, with its insights into how to find God in your day to day life during both the highs and lows.
For anyone searching or expressing doubts or looking to re-affirm their faith then in my opinion there is no better book.
A wonderful practical exposition of faith, this book will be a modern classic. If you haven't read it, I urge you to do so now!
Have heard Gerard Hughes speak at a local Church and he was superb. His insight, wisdom and the way he challenges your faith is like a breath of fresh air blowing throughout the whole Christian church.
This book is for ALL denominations and one that I have found myself returning to. .... and if you get the chance to hear him speak on Church unity, do not pass it up!...... Tremendous!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignatian Spirituality, 1 Mar 2009
A. J. Russell-pattison "Tony" (Manchester. U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
This is a "new" release of a spiritual classic. As I have not read the original I cannot comment on it's updatedness but I am informed that any new material is minimal. The author, a Jesuit, clearly and effectively expounds the basic methodology of the Spiritual Excercises of St. Ignatios Loyola using the parable of the treasure found in a field for which a man sells everything to aquire.
The method is clearly and effectively expounded. The use of the imagination and emotions in encountering what God has to say to you from his word is gently and easily put. It's not a spiritual method of which I am a great fan but this book undoubtedly introduces it well and with great care.

5.0 out of 5 stars Introduction to Ignatian Spirituality, 22 April 2000
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
This book is primarily a lay-person's guide to Ignatian contemplative prayer. However, it can also be read simply as an uplifting book on spirituality and the nature of the relationship between human beings and God. Another reviewer said this book is a "touchstone" and I agree. This book is filled with the love of God and the exercises help point to Christ and to God's infinite grace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Religion meets psychotherapy and AA, 27 Jun 2010
William Cohen (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
Over the past 18 months I have been confronted with difficult circumstances, and I have been introduced to the teachings of Alcoholics Anonymous. It's an excellent spiritual programme that challenges my way of life, beliefs and aspirations. Along this journey I have also enjoyed the writings of Irvin Yalom, a brilliant American psychotherapist. 'God of Surprises' is another step along the path, explaining how we all need to journey inwards to understand our motivations and feelings, and use Scripture to uncover our darkest fears and brightest intuitions. I'm working through the exercises. A lovely book, which is dated but dateless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Nov 2012
Busy Mum (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
I struggled to get into this book at first and put it down a couple of times and restarted. But get beyond chapter two and the book becomes really interesting and useful, particularly the help in defining moods and attitudes. The author makes it clear that it is alright to be annoyed and even angry sometimes, but to recognize where that emotion is coming from, and deciphering whether it brings you closer or further from God. A good read especially if you take the time to do the exercises in each chapter. I particularly likes the exercise of reviewing the day and looking forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: God of Surprises (Paperback)
A wise and sensitive book for anyone who wishes to deepen their spiritual life. I had owned a previous copy for many years and had given it away to someone else.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›