5.0 out of 5 stars A truly delightful read of a cycling adventure
In the summer of 2012 Andi traveled to Switzerland with her bike and four yellow panniers then cycled and camped solo across Switzerland and France via the Swiss and French Alps, Jura and Vosges Mountains and through the Champagne region up to Calais before returning to the UK, some 2000km in total.

There are two striking things about this book. One is the...
Published 15 months ago by G. P. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read if you want to read someone's diary
Published 5 months ago by David Bew

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly delightful read of a cycling adventure, 13 April 2013
G. P. Thompson "Graham Thompson" (Peterborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Summer Sabbatical: Cycling Across Switzerland and France (Kindle Edition)

There are two striking things about this book. One is the passion that Andi has for climbing steep, very steep, hills! The other is that Andi is a lone female cyclist. Now I don't mean that in a sexist way, she is a lot braver, fitter and tougher than I am.

What I am getting at is that female cyclist authors seem to me to see the world slightly differently which I really like. The first book I read by a female cyclist was `It's not about the Tapas' by Polly Evans and, although I cannot put my finger on what I mean, she and Andi see things differently to the way male authors do. I just don't know what it is but I do like it.

There are some truly great moments of personal achievement in this book. Starting with the planning of the initial traveling to Switzerland including being treated as a bomb wielding terrorist on the Eurostar (I would have given up at that point) through to combating weather going from thunderstorms to heat waves. Not only that but language barriers and hills, big hills. Did I mention the authors insane passion for climbing over mountains on a laden bike?

There is humour, clever observation, detailed descriptions and photo realistic images written in the words of this book. Obviously, Andi is no stranger to cycling both at home and abroad and it probably had something to do with cycling the Yorkshire Dales that made her set her sights on the Alps as a `bit of a challenge'.

I don't like to put spoilers into reviews but there is one bit while slowly pedalling up a mountain pass where she realises that she does not appear to be gaining on some walkers ahead the going is so slow. I love little details like this.

This book is full of moments like that and the spirit lifting cheers of ordinary people who are sightseeing at the top of these amazing mountain roads. The support of other cyclists in France and the barely visible curt nods of the cyclists in Switzerland.

The wonderful descriptions of the campsites she visits and the people she met on them had me in stitches at times. No one to book you in and need the loo? Call the Police and let them sort it, and they did! One odd thing though was the closer I got to the final chapters, the more I craved a simple omelette with chips. You will need to buy the book and read it to find out why.

All in all, a very well written book that will have you flipping the pages to keep up with her at times and others where you would want to stay awhile and enjoy the serenity. A very good book and I hope there will be more to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, well worth the price., 19 Oct 2013
S. J. Matthews "Macrosteg" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd highly recommended this book. I am no cyclist but I now have an insatiable need to go out and buy a bike (and possibly cycle halfway across Europe).

Lonnen's writing style is a breath of fresh air that provides an insight, often humorous and very real experience of an inspired and enviable trip.

More books should be written like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspirational Read, 17 Oct 2013
Having undertaken a couple of small tours of my own I know that in this book Andi has captured the spirit and emotion that one finds out alone upon a bicycle.
It also enables the reader to "be there with her" and cannot fail to inspire others to give cycle touring a go.
If that were not enough I purchased this book thinking it would be a good filler for those moments when I didn't`t have the time to indulge in a chapter of the heavier volumes I have. HOW WRONG I was. Once I started I couldn't stop - just like cycle touring - addictive.
Worth the purchase for chapter 47 alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cycling adventures Food for thought, 18 Aug 2013
Being a keen cyclist, I've often wondered what it would be like to go away somewhere beautiful, just me and my bike. Andi provides inspiration, education and a light hearted tale of her amazing travels- can't wait to hear of her next trip!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Worth A Read, 11 July 2014
D. Walker (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This was a really interesting and gripping read - couldn't put it down!! Wish I had downloaded and read earlier.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a woman!, 8 April 2014
I enjoyed her detailed diary and was fascinated by her route, by her lack of whingeing
and by her sheer determination.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read if you want to read someone's diary, 30 Jan 2014
I bought this on the back of various other adventure bike rides (Rob Lillwall and Alastair Humphreys) thinking it would be similar but in Europe. Sadly it was not. Maybe that's a little harsh on Andi Lonnen and I have tried to accept this for what it is, effectively a cycle touring holiday diary. I have learnt a lot about cycle touring from her but her writing style has started to annoy me a little. Yes Andi we know you're a vegetarian, yes we know you like hot showers, yes we know you like breakfast, yes we know you like a cup of tea and yes we know you like a daily pain au chocolate but you don't have to tell us every day.

An enjoyable read, a likeable brave person. She has done what I never could and cycled alone through Europe. Fair play to her but sadly there are better reads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 8 Jan 2014
A really great read from someone willing to push the boundaries, Excellent would love to read more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading., 16 Dec 2013
Mr. K. Prior (England) - See all my reviews
Short chapters made it convenient to break off but I kept wanting to read another, then another. Well written and very good value for money. Well done Andi.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 14 Nov 2013
E. Homer - See all my reviews
I have read this book twice; once before my own cycle trip and once after and it is still a firm favourite of mine.

This is a great book. So many cycle touring books end up as tourist guides to an area (the cycling becoming secondary) and I then tend to "switch off". I enjoy reading more about the cycling challenge and the logistics. This book covered these things in a warm and relaxing style.

Also, what a gutsy thing for a solo female cyclist to do. The only thing that doesn't appeal is the camping in the rain!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›