4.0 out of 5 stars S9400 first impressions, 1 Oct 2013
Mr. D. Patton "pattond" (Belfast, N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
Cracking little camera; aesthetically pleasing; sturdy build; comfortable to hold and use; clear, sharp LCD; rapid startup; easy to setup without the manual. Will be a lot lighter and easier to lug around, than my Canon EOS450D. Only one minor annoyance.....it is necessary to adjust your left hand grip to utilise the pop-up flash. One more thing, but not a fault of the camera...Amazon lowered the price by 10 AFTER I took delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Impression, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix S9400 Camera - Red (18.1MP, 18xZoom, 25mm Wide Lens) 3.0 inch OLED (Electronics)
Received my Camera yesterday so this is my first impression.Looks good and feels good + it fits into the bag I had for my previous Pocket camera.
The controls all seem quite standard and easy to use and I was able to turn it on and take some sample pictures without reading any instructions.I was greatly impressed with the quality of the on screen display and the images when transfered to computer with the enclosed USB cable.I also connected the camera to my TV with the enclosed cables and the images were perfect.I have seen reviews where people have a negative comment about the flash popping up where you hold the camera but to be honest I have no problem as I turned the auto flash off so it does not pop up and the images are sharp and clear without it.Obviously you can easily turn flash on as and when required so you will be aware it is going to pop up. I read the instruction booklet that comes with it but to be honest it only gives the basic functions so you will need to go to download a full manual from Nikon website. There you will find everything you need to know about the camera and how to use all the features. I would suggest that maybe you should download this manual before purchasing to fully apreciate all the features of this camera.
So far the only negatives I would mention is that it does not come with a mini HDMI cable which you would realy need in order to view video on TV.I was not able to see how to take 3D pictures from the manual that came with the camera but the info is in the Online manual.
In a nutshell a awesome camera loads of features no technical problems so far.
The HDMI cable is Micro D for connecting to the camera. If you wish to get additional battery just check the mHa as the cheap batteries are less mHa they are only 850 as oposed to 1050 .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Aug 2013
Simple to use, takes good photo's and movies. Lots of functions. Takes a little time to focus when zooming, but other than that a good little camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Very decent camera, 17 Aug 2013
Bought if for my husband before going for holiday so that he's not bored while I'm taking long exposure pictures on my SLR, I was worried he'll be bored watching me so I wanted him to have his own camera. I need to say I ended up using it few times. It's very light, stylish and very decent in low light. I was struggling to get the correct exposure in the aquarium with my SLR so I grabbed this compact and been using it for the rest of the day :-) I was impressed how well this little camera is coping... Even at higher ISO the quality of the pictures is very decent. I felt in few pictures that the colours are bit 'washed out' but I just set the White Balance to cloudy and it was much better. I have't had a compact for few years now but sometimes I feel they are all pretty much the same so I'm not sure whether I could get similar specs camera cheaper. But I'm glad I got this one, very happy with it so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good camera - no instructions, 19 Aug 2014
I bought this camera after having researched at various websites for a hopefully unbiased opinion.
It had very good reviews and was selling well below suggested price.

I like it a lot and am still trying to learn all the things it can do, so mostly use it on auto mode. This is because there was not a booklet with it.
You can download a pdf file and print it if you want to use all your paper up. Not to mention the cost of the ink.
When you spend a lot of money on something I think it is the height of mean-ness to not include a booklet.
If there had been a booklet explaining everything, I would now be an expert.

I do not know if this is the latest trend to exclude a booklet but I fail to understand why.
I could copy parts of the pdf and paste them into Word but usually the little logos and diagrams do not travel. And quite honestly it would take a lot of my time.
To sum up, the camera is great, the lack of booklet is my complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 16 Sep 2013
Si "Barely human." (UK) - See all my reviews
Only time for a short review but thought I'd say how impressed I am with this camera. Bought it as a more portable option to my 10 year old EOS300D. I've only used the Nikon once as I only received it at the weekend, taking a couple of dozen shots and a video, but it didn't take long for me to be sold on it. Solid build, very intuitive to use (basically out-of-the-box) and the picture quality is superb. Amazing that this sub 200 camera takes better photos (at 3X the size) than my old 300D which with the lens cost well over 1K. The 18X zoom is equally impressive and I was very surprised to be able to take clear, crisp photos at full zoom whilst being battered by a 50mph wind on the Lake District fells. The HD video function is superb - simple to use, quick to save and with excellent definition. The only possibly downside is that the lens shutter that covers the lens when the camera is off, slick as it is, looks like it could trap dust if used in sandy or dusty environments. I would have preferred some kind of fuller lens-cap-like coverage. All in all exceeded expectations so here's to hoping it proves as sturdy as first impressions suggest.

EDIT: The last sentence appears to be confirmed: accidentally dropped it onto concrete from head height and to add insult to injury kicked it about five feet. Aside from a couple of tiny paint chips on the lens surround it had no effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice, 23 July 2013
I am no camera buff but when it comes to sheer functionality this camera has it! It also has a good feel and seems to be robust

I find the features and the quality of pix to be excellent. The wide angle lens has a 'natural' field of view in that it takes the picture that you see.

The zoom also is very good and is more than enough.

I also like that you can create effects with the on board feature too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
Thank goodness for a PAPER readable manual !

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, 20 May 2014
I bought this camera for a trip to NYC recently as I wanted something small and compact to carry about in my handbag. This camera did not disappoint! Beautiful photographs and excellent zoom function and also clear and bright photos indoors without flash. Has lots of choices with regards to scenes and things like 'museum' setting excellent for shooting away in galleries etc. I have not given this camera 5 stars because I did have an occasion where the camera froze and the only way I could get the lens to retract and the camera to work as normal again was by taking the battery out. This only happened once though and absolutely no other problems at all with the camera. The charger however was a different story! I tried numerous times to charge the camera battery using the charger provided by the seller in the box with the camera, this had come from Germany so there was an adapter inside too, everything was provided but it just wasn't doing what it was supposed to! I kept charging it and then it would still say no charge. So I purchased a separate battery charger and also discovered the usb cable that plugs into the charger could be plugged into my mobile phone charger (Sony) as it was same voltage etc and that seemed to solve the problem. I recommend you keep an eye on charging times though, try not to charge much longer than the 3.5 hours stated in the manual. The green charging light switches off on the camera when the battery is full. Since using the phone charger I've had no issue and all has been working perfectly! I would definitely recommend this camera for a holiday and for carrying around for casual photography or if you're a student needing to take photos for projects etc, it's easy to use with SD card and great quality shots. I also bought a small camera case with this just for general protection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera, 28 April 2014
Really good camera does what I want and more a little bit heavy but that was not a problem to me