4.0 out of 5 stars Slight but enjoyable crime caper
Published on 11 May 2011 by Ronnie Bradley

1.0 out of 5 stars Cringy rather than funny
I was very disappointed with this film. I bought it because of the actors, principally Morgan Freeman, and to be honest after forcing myself to sit through it could not believe that he had signed up for such a film.
Published 3 months ago by Katie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight but enjoyable crime caper, 11 May 2011
Ronnie Bradley (Wishaw, Lanarkshire) - See all my reviews
One thing that does annoy me with film distribution these days is that whilst we here in the UK can be inundated with complete cack by big studios, little movies that are far more enjoyable are often unable to raise the funds to get a distribution deal here. This means that many people miss out on little gems. Not great films per se, but films that certainly deserve a better and bigger audience than they have. The Maiden Heist definitely falls into that category.

It is undeniably a small movie, even given its cast, and many people may feel they have been short changed by not having some crime epic on their hands. Personally I think its wrong to judge a film on what it never intended to be and judge it only on what it intends to be. In this case we have three main actors who are clearly having a ball, playing nice guys in a small, light but undeniably fun caper film. Its not perfect, but I'd take this movie over many of the big name comedies that appear on our shores with barely a laugh in them. This film has good actors, a great sense of whimsical charm and left me with a smile on my face. What more could you ask for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky Art Robbery, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Heist [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Three older security guards who really do love their art are forced to take desperate action when their favourite exhibits are to be sold abroad.
Unable to face life without their own particular favourites they decide to steal them and replace them with duplicates.
All goes well until the final slip-up.
An enjoyable film with some good performances and subtle twists.
Not fast paced but clever.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cringy rather than funny, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Heist [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
It was lame, cringy and not funny rather than nuanced and refreshing. The only part I thought was authentic was right at the end when one of the actors wakes up to the beauty of his wife over the painting he was in 'love' with.
Others may have enjoyed it, but I found it embarrassing to watch and off to the charity shop it goes!

2.0 out of 5 stars JUST WASN'T FUNNY, 10 Oct 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
You would think with all these stars this would be a great movie. It wasn't. The film moved very slow. The main characters outside of Macy were dull. The idea was clever, but the dialogue was not what I would expect from a real comedy. I didn't have any laugh out loud moments for this "madcap comedy." Three security guards are each in love with one particular piece of art. The museum is going to move the pieces so they decide to make fakes and substitute them for the real pieces. What was supposed to be "madcap" I assume, were the errors they made in swapping the paintings. It too was slow. Freeman and Walker should not be doing this type of "comedy" as they plainly don't have a feel for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heist dvd 2009, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Heist [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I enjoyed this dvd immensely, good story and liked the acting a good all action film to recommend to anyone. D Bowen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cover is extremely deceiving!, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Heist [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Okay, so I maybe should have looked into this film first or at least read some reviews.

The UK cover looks pretty hardcore. 2 of the 3 actors holding guns and the bottom half of the cover looks like a bunch of guys about to steal some stuff. How wrong I was. The guys at the bottom appear at the start of the film, in one of the actors dreams! THATS ALL! I didn't realise this was intended to be a light-hearted comedy, genuinely thought with the calibre of actors this was going to be a hardcore heist film, the cover certainly makes it seem that way! Only when I saw the US cover I thought different. But yeah, don't make my mistake and assume cos the covers badass the film is badass. Its not. Its awful.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK on a rainy day, 17 May 2013
This review is from: The Heist [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This passed the time reasonably well although I thought the whole thing a tad empty and the actors, who I think can be very good, were just pale shadows.

Whislt it was Ok and did what I wanted at the time, I can't recommend this one.

Buy this on discount if at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Morgan, Christopher AND William in the same movie!!!! Must be good!!!!!, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Heist [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Er well actually no. It wasn't good. Not terrible but not really very good either. The acting is, as expected, top drawer. The rest of the film sucks. Bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Subtitles, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Heist (Blu-ray)
I rented the dvd from lovefilm but sent it back immediately. There are no subtitles on the DVD, which means a deaf person cannot enjoy the film. Its simply unacceptable for this to be the case in the 21st century. A hearing person may take a different view of the film but I think its important to inform those that need subtitles, especially as Lovefilm/Amazon are not good at providing accurate information prior to rental or purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable., 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Heist [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
An unusual crime caper that is brilliantly acted with good performances from all and a very clever plot.

Not so much of an action film but then it does not need to be.

The story moves along quite nicely with subtle side plots and was hugely enjoyable to watch.

This is a gem of a film which I would highly recommend.

Buy and enjoy and expect something original, funny and polished.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb0f71a74)

The Heist [DVD] [2009]
The Heist [DVD] [2009] by Peter Hewitt (DVD - 2013)
3.00