Format: DVD|Change

on 10 October 2013
You would think with all these stars this would be a great movie. It wasn't. The film moved very slow. The main characters outside of Macy were dull. The idea was clever, but the dialogue was not what I would expect from a real comedy. I didn't have any laugh out loud moments for this "madcap comedy." Three security guards are each in love with one particular piece of art. The museum is going to move the pieces so they decide to make fakes and substitute them for the real pieces. What was supposed to be "madcap" I assume, were the errors they made in swapping the paintings. It too was slow. Freeman and Walker should not be doing this type of "comedy" as they plainly don't have a feel for it.
on 11 May 2011
One thing that does annoy me with film distribution these days is that whilst we here in the UK can be inundated with complete cack by big studios, little movies that are far more enjoyable are often unable to raise the funds to get a distribution deal here. This means that many people miss out on little gems. Not great films per se, but films that certainly deserve a better and bigger audience than they have. The Maiden Heist definitely falls into that category.

It is undeniably a small movie, even given its cast, and many people may feel they have been short changed by not having some crime epic on their hands. Personally I think its wrong to judge a film on what it never intended to be and judge it only on what it intends to be. In this case we have three main actors who are clearly having a ball, playing nice guys in a small, light but undeniably fun caper film. Its not perfect, but I'd take this movie over many of the big name comedies that appear on our shores with barely a laugh in them. This film has good actors, a great sense of whimsical charm and left me with a smile on my face. What more could you ask for?
on 26 February 2014
An unusual crime caper that is brilliantly acted with good performances from all and a very clever plot.

Not so much of an action film but then it does not need to be.

The story moves along quite nicely with subtle side plots and was hugely enjoyable to watch.

This is a gem of a film which I would highly recommend.

Buy and enjoy and expect something original, funny and polished.
on 29 December 2013
I was very disappointed with this film. I bought it because of the actors, principally Morgan Freeman, and to be honest after forcing myself to sit through it could not believe that he had signed up for such a film.
It was lame, cringy and not funny rather than nuanced and refreshing. The only part I thought was authentic was right at the end when one of the actors wakes up to the beauty of his wife over the painting he was in 'love' with.
Others may have enjoyed it, but I found it embarrassing to watch and off to the charity shop it goes!
on 1 October 2013
Three older security guards who really do love their art are forced to take desperate action when their favourite exhibits are to be sold abroad.
Unable to face life without their own particular favourites they decide to steal them and replace them with duplicates.
All goes well until the final slip-up.
An enjoyable film with some good performances and subtle twists.
Not fast paced but clever.
on 28 February 2014
I rented the dvd from lovefilm but sent it back immediately. There are no subtitles on the DVD, which means a deaf person cannot enjoy the film. Its simply unacceptable for this to be the case in the 21st century. A hearing person may take a different view of the film but I think its important to inform those that need subtitles, especially as Lovefilm/Amazon are not good at providing accurate information prior to rental or purchase.
on 18 June 2016
In a nutshell - Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken and William H Macy play art gallery security guards, all highly enamoured with the pieces they protect. They decide to take drastic action when the items are to be exported....

A very lightweight bit of fluff, that wouldn't normally be worth a watch, were it not the lovely chemistry between the three leads. A distinctly average film, that somehow managed to work it's charm on me in several scenes.

William H Macy was the standout for me, as an uptight ex-military guy. On delivering marital advice to Walken, he gets to utter the line - "Women respond to authority and leadership". :D

6.5/10
on 22 January 2014
What a disappointment. I love Morgan Freeman and saw this and thought it would nake a great Christmas Present .... but we were so disappointed with it overall when we settled down to watch it. The plot is terribly weak and the script is dreadful. Poor Morgan Freeman must really cringe when he watches this. It was so bad I even fell asleep halfway through and had to rewind it. Shouldn't have bothered really as it was all so implausable .... it was laughable. Couldn't recommend it I'm afraid... sorry Morgan!
on 23 June 2013
the movie was entertaining. reason some people were not so hyped is probably because if the movie doesn't have rat-tat-tat action, lots of killing, lots of firearms, sex,nudity,obscene language,vampires, suicides, blood and guts, its just not good enough...the suspense here was whether or not these three blokes could carry this off and not get caught! acting was very good as i dont know how they kept a straight face all thru the movie. i couldn't keep a straight face in front of the t.v.
on 15 January 2016
No. Very weak. A waste of ability. Don't trust that by throwing stars together magic will just happen. Write a script.