5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, romantic and enjoyable!
I'm a huge fan of Ali McNamara's novels and have loved every single one, so I was really looking forward to jumping in to Step Back In Time.

Published 9 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars time travel
A pleasant story with quirky twists in the tale. Easy reading not too taxing. Lots of relevant references and quite. Up to date as well .
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, romantic and enjoyable!, 15 Nov 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)

When Jo-Jo is hit by a car, the last thing she expects is to wake up and find herself in 1963. The world around her is suddenly very different - from the fashion to the music, even her romantic life. But then it happens three more times, and Jo-Jo finds herself living in the 70′s, 80′s and the 90′s! Why is Jo-jo jumping through time? And if she gets back to her old life, will it be the same?

I really enjoyed this. I wanted to read on because I was really intrigued about how and why Jo-Jo was jumping through time. I particularly enjoyed that there were characters who appeared in all of the `times', as it felt a bit more familiar, even if they were different in each time, I liked knowing that they were there and it felt as though I knew them so it made the novel more enjoyable for me.

I like the idea of stepping through time. I've recently become more interested in time travel novels and so this aspect was particularly fascinating for me. Being born in the late 80′s, I can only really remember the 90′s, but it was fantastic re-living this time with Jo-Jo! Even though I wasn't around for the other `times' I enjoyed them too and really immersed myself in the 60′s, 70′s and 80′s, the feeling and the atmosphere really came to life and I felt as though I had travelled back with Jo-Jo. I especially loved the many Beatles references, I found myself singing their songs for hours after reading this!

Step Back In Time is a delightful, funny, romantic, and truly wonderful read which I'm sure will bring back memories for many readers, as well as putting smiles on many faces like mine. So buy this and enjoy travelling through time with Jo-Jo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunner of a book, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Kindle Edition)
I cannot praise this book enough. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, the storyline is excellent and keeps you gripped from the beginning. The characters are lovely and I for one will be taking a trip to the Kings Road to check out the zebra crossing and the world's end! Everyone must read this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Step Back In Time with this fabulous novel!, 7 Nov 2013
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
I have to admit I've been going through a bit of a reading slump recently. I'm still reading, yes, but the books I'm reading just aren't blowing me away and I was sorta worried to start Step Back In Time because I didn't want to be disappointed in it. I'm quite pleased to report that I loved Step Back In Time - it was such a fun, warm, engaging novel that it would seem my book slump is basically just me reading books that aren't particularly mind blowing (which in itself is a shame!). Step Back In Time, however, blew all the novels I've read in the past week out of the water quite easily and the novel has easily one of the coolest book concepts, ever.

Step Back In Time sees main character Jo Jo moving through the decades, from the swinging sixties to the hippy seventies, to the big-haired eighties, and to the relatively modern nineties. I got into the novel immediately; I loved meeting Jo Jo in 2013 before all the hoo-ha happened because it meant we knew a bit about her, and a bit about the people in her life; Ellie, George, Harry and then I liked how quickly we time travelled. I thought it was utterly amazing; I loved the concept that Jo Jo changed guises with each trip, but how she was still, inside, the same Jo Jo f 2013. I loved how Jo Jo adapted to all of the changes, and managed to realise that there were some thing that stayed the same no matter the decade. I loved seeing that Ellie, Harry and George were always present and correct, even if they weren't as close to Jo Jo as they had been, that familiarity meant a lot as I read the novel because it meant Ellie wasn't ever totally alone, even if the people around her weren't always as they used to be.

Step Back In Time was a pleasure from beginning to the end, I was hooked from the off. I didn't even mind all the Beatles references (in fact, it was actually nice because it was all tied together), despite not being their biggest fan (I'm a 90s kid, my parents brought me up on Meat Loaf not The Beatles). Ali McNamara has once again hit it out of the park, she is truly a special storyteller and this is her at her best. She encapsulated all the decades so well, and it never felt gimmicky. I loved learning more about decades I've never known a thing about, I loved that Groovy Records was present and correct in every decade and I adored the core characters of Jo Jo, George, Ellie and Harry. I didn't want it to end, I just wanted to keep surfing the decades with Jo Jo, but even the ending was amazing. Ali's so talented, and Step Back In Time is a triumph, thank you Ali for such an awesome read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance with a difference!, 17 Aug 2014
Shazjera (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
Step Back in Time is one of the books I read while we were away. I had been browsing my bookcases specifically looking for a couple of books to take away and I’m glad I was! I won my signed copy after entering my 80’s hairstyle on Twitter and had shelved it.

Jo-Jo, running her own accountancy firm doesn’t have time for anything else outside of the office. Unusual for her, she takes George’s accounts back to him. He is the owner of Groovy Records and has been in business since the 1960’s. One other customer comes into the shop, Harry. Harry remembers Jo-Jo from her late appearance at her father’s 60th birthday party.

Crossing on the zebra crossing, half-way across, a white sports car knocks her down. Coming round, she is surrounded by people, Harry being one of them. He takes Jo-Jo back to the record shop and it’s here we find out George is central to the story.

Spending time in 1963, 1977, 1985 and 1994 with Jo-Jo was fabulous. I enjoyed the different ages and the jobs she had, the music, the fashions and the people she met. Everything felt very authentic. Although Harry and Ellie are constants in her life, their roles in the time periods change. I couldn’t wait to find out what each of them were doing and how that affected Jo-Jo.

I felt that each time period was like a short story within the plot with Jo-Jo having to figure out why she is there and what she can do to move on. We see her change from a woman hanging on to childhood issues into acceptance of love, emotions and life.

The Eleanor Rigby statue was just brilliant!

Ali McNamara has crafted an amazing story that flows at a good pace and held my attention (took it everywhere on holiday to read at every opportunity). It is easy to identify with the characters and become involved with Jo-Jo’s journey emotionally. The metaphysical/spiritual, sci-fi (time travel) and romance blends seamlessly. I love a romance with a difference!

I highly recommend Step Back in Time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 18 Mar 2014
L. Swift "Lisa S" (Leicester,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Kindle Edition)
This is a great story, I love how the main character jumps through time, from the 1970's to the 1990's. Its that little bit different, intriguing and funny. I would love to read more books like this! It has a bit of everything, mystery, romance and humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groovy!, 5 Jan 2014
Londoner (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book - credit to the author because every time the main character moved into another era, I both didn't want the era to end and also enjoyed reading the new era! The thing I also really liked about this book above her earlier one was that it wasn't OTT romantic. Much more interesting than that.

3.0 out of 5 stars time travel, 27 Dec 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Kindle Edition)
Brilliantly clever! A real page turner, with lots of twists and turns.Brought back happy memories of the 80's and 90's!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet romance story filled with fun clothes and fab (four) references!, 7 Nov 2013
Zarina @ Page to Stage reviews (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
One of the worst things when reading an engaging book is when for whichever reason you have to close it when you have just a few more pages left to read. In my case this happened because the friend I was meeting had arrived, but this was one of those occasions where I simply had to be 'rude' and ask her if she didn't mind me finishing my book first. Of course she was okay with this, so I raced through the remaining pages, eager to find out how the story would end.

As soon as I was finished I looked up at my friend and exclaimed, "This was so good!" and continued to tell her all about the novel and the clever use of Beatles references throughout. She may have been a bit bewildered as I was skipping the crucial fact that this was a time travel story so it probably did not make any sense at all, but I just had to talk about it. And something that can get me so enthusiastic, is a winner in my book.

The story is this: accountant Jo-Jo gets hit by a car and suddenly finds herself in the swinging sixties. Her clothes and hair have changed to suit the era and her new persona. Needless to say she's very confused at first, but when she meets some familiar faces in the form of her assistant Ellie, an acquaintance by the name of Harry, and George, who owns the Groovy Records shop, she slowly starts to get used to her new surroundings and even enjoys her new life - even if all the people she recognises only know the Jo-Jo from the 60s and she's still none the wiser as to why she travelled back in time and how she can get back to the 21st century.

Just when Jo-Jo is all settled in in 1963, she is hit by a car again and transported to the 1970s. Once again she comes across the familiar faces of Ellie and Harry but they're completely different people again. The only constants during her time travels seems to be the frequent mention of the Beatles (there are song references and she even the meets some of the people crucial to the careers of the Fab Four) and George, the record store owner. He clearly knows more about time travelling than anyone else she meets on her journey and he guides her as best as possible as she travels from the 70s to the 80s and even 90s on a journey that will change her life forever.

If my previous mention of having to finish this book didn't make it clear: I absolutely adored Step Back in Time! Admittedly the start was a bit slow up until the point where I wasn't sure if I was going to like the novel at all, but it didn't take long for me to fall in love with the character of Jo-Jo (and the others of course, especially Harry) and her magical mystery tour through the decades.

And if the cheesy pun in my previous sentence wasn't obvious enough, I'm a big fan of the Beatles so to have their music be such a central and crucial part of the story was a really original idea, and I enjoyed trying to spot all the references throughout (though I missed a lot of them - so thank you Ali McNamara for including a handy list at the end of your novel).

In short: Step Back in Time is an absolute must-read because it's a wonderful novel filled with colourful characters, a sweet romance story, fun clothes and fab (four) music references!

4.5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read For Beatles Fan's!, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
If your interested in time travel and the Beatles, then this is the book for you. I enjoyed it when Jo-Jo the main character jumped through time from the 1970's to the 1990's. I have read quite a few books like this now, this book has quite a few twists so you don't know what's going to happen next which adds a certain mystery to the story. Nice easy read.

Step Back in Time