5.0 out of 5 stars Shocked at how much i'm enjoying it !
Published 10 months ago by A. Timmins

3.0 out of 5 stars nintendo owes me a cadburys picninc.. i think, and be warned the online play is highly unstable with disconnects
overall its a good game that me and my daughter play together from time to time, its easy to play on 50cc mode, with either the tablet, or gamepad and feels easy enough to control and steer without too much frustration for her, and the new weapons are good fun to use ( blue shell excluded)
the characters are bright and colourful and the level designs are good too but...
Published 6 months ago by massive2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocked at how much i'm enjoying it !, 31 May 2014
A. Timmins (dudley UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
Before you read this i am not a nintendo "fanboy" I have owned or still own - a pc / xbox 360 / ps3 etc, i like to play a good game which is worth the money, personally i don't think there are many released nowadays - this is just my opinion. This review is based on around 24 hours gameplay ( i received the game 1 day before release but have waited until putting some hours in to review it )

I have played virtually all the mario kart games and to be honest not really been taken by any of them except the very first one. So to be honest i thought i was making a mistake purchasing this. I have been pleasantly surprised by how good this game is, I am fed up of buying games based on media hype, playing them and finding they aren't what they have been touted to be or as is usually the case they have 8 hours gameplay for £40 - £50.

Well the quality of mario kart is astounding really, Graphically, gameplay wise and longevity. Lots of tracks i believe 16 remodelled and 16 brand new, i personally haven't come across a track i don't like yet. Graphically it's very good beautiful bold colours and very nice shading and as for the other reviewers saying its a rehash - 16 new tracks cannot be classed as a rehash, most driving games don't even have 16 tracks to begin with. There is a great diversity in the tracks no two are similar, for instance the old rainbow road and the new one are completely different.

The soundtrack is good - i haven't really made an effort to listen clearly to it as the races are that frantic on higher speeds your concentration is placed solely on the driving but what i have heard seems to complement the game.

Gameplay is exceptional, really dont let anyone tell you otherwise.the karts handle extremely well,modifications do make quite a difference to your kart and can man the difference between 1st or last place - don't test new parts in an online race! I noted the reviewer here who gave it 3 star said you cant change the button layout, this is correct, however in my opinion the button layout works very well once you get used to it, which doesn't take long at all - 1 maybe 2 races.

Longevity - well you have 50 + 100 + 150cc to face, let me say that to veterans of the mario kart series 50+ 100cc aren't going to pose any problem whatsoever, 150cc however is a different matter, the other drivers maul you repeatedly meaning you will play certain tracks many times to get the unlocks ( new characters + kart/bike parts ) and the good old Gold trophy. I presume as in other mario karts there is a reverse course selection after you Gold all the regular races but am not sure yet. Then there is obviously online which in my opinion plays every bit as well as offline - about 10 hours of my gameplay have been online and i haven't encountered a single problem. Setting up your own tournaments is also very easy and you decide whether they run daily / weekly what weapons/karts etc can be used. I have also heard that nintendo will be releasing DLC for Mario kart 8. As you can see there is a lot of game to be played here. I cannot comment on battle mode, i believe there has been some negativity towards the changes in it - I have not played battle mode at all and probably wont, so if you are buying this for battle mode please get someones opinion who has played it.

All in all for me personally its one of the games of recent years i will be playing for a long time to come, because it does something many games don't do anymore - it makes you laugh and sometimes scream but never in a way where you feel you've been cheated, its just good old fashioned fun.

Hope this review helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Mario Kart game yet and it looks truly stunning in all it's HD glory!, 17 Oct. 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
I have been a huge Mario Kart fan since the original Super Mario Kart on the SNES. I thought Nintendo Selects: Mario Kart Wii - Game Only (Nintendo Wii) was brilliant fun online and offline and couldn't be bettered, but boy was I wrong. Mario Kart 8 takes everything up to the next level and some more. It is so easy to race my miiverese friends and you can create your own tournments, or open a room for friends only. Four people can race is other offline and up to twelve people online. I've been waitng for Nintendo to produce a game on the Wii U, that really blows my socks off in terms of looks and gameplay. Pikmin 3 (Nintendo Wii U) came close, but Mario Kart 8 delivers in all the departments. I always think the best games are the ones you can enjoy with others, it looks like Super Smash Bros (Wii U) and Splatoon (Nintendo Wii U) will both deliver this in the near future as well.
The new race tracks are brilliantly designed with the anti-gravity sections, which is a sweet nod to the F-Zero games. I can't wait for the new dlc content in November, which going to be eight more tracks, Link as a playable character and the cool Bule Falcon as a new kart.
I must not forget to say the musical soundtrack, which is played by a full orchestral is utterly brilliant.
Things were looking a little bleak for the Wii U, but since the release of Mario Kart 8 the Wii U is the second best selling home console this generation. I feel this is well deserved and really proves that excellent games do sell consoles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo at its best, 30 May 2014
Tim Elton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
Mario Kart is a system seller. It's the perfect title for families or friends to gather round and have a laugh, and the latest rendition is no different.
Firstly, the graphics are superb. The frame rate is buttery-smooth and the colours pop.
Secondly, the gameplay is wonderful. The driving mechanics are perfect. The new items are great fun and the menus flow quickly and easily.
The course selection is great too, with my favourite ever Rainbow Road returning from the Nintendo 64. It looks simply beautiful. Don't forget, you can claim a free Wii U game when you buy this one.
Lastly, I'd like to mention the music which just adds a new level of joy to the experience.
The impression this new Mario Kart gives is a fantastic one. You can't help grin when playing this game as it's classic Nintendo. You can tell much money and time has been invested into it, and I emplore you, if you haven't bought a Wii U as of yet because you hear people saying "oh, it's not powerful enough" or people saying there is a lack of games, they are wrong, don't listen to them.
It's a sad fact that people think it's cool to hate Nintendo at the moment. Those people don't open their eyes to the titles Nintendo have released recently, super Mario 3D world for example, which are fantastic games worth every penny.
Nowhere else can you find such imaginative games made for pure fun for everyone. Mario Kart 8 is one of the best entries in the series so far, so give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most fun games you can get, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
Best game on Wii U for me, also the best game I've played in a long time. The game is a bit bare bones in terms of features. But the core gameplay is so solid that you will keep playing this with friends or online for a long time. The graphics are the best on Wii U, the tracks, karts, characters, all look amazing. And the music and effects are perfect. game is very smooth even with 12 people racing online. With no noticeable frame rate drops, at 60FPS. This game is the most fun I've had in years with a game.

Also when you get this game, create a club nintendo account if you don't have one, and register the scratch off code that comes in the Mario Kart 8 box on the red slip of paper. You now get to chose a free game to download.

Zelda Wind Waker

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet more Karting, 16 Feb. 2015
Max - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
I last played Mario Kart on the Wii and loved it, in fact it was my favourite game on that console. MK 8 is fast becoming the same on the Wii U. There's just something so appealing about playing multiplayer on Mario Kart. The smooth movement, sliding round corners, taking out other racers, it's just so much fun. Mario Kart 8 isn't exactly bursting with game modes nor is it that much of a change from the old Wii game. However for those new to the franchise it provides hours and hours of fun. For veterans of MK its worth upgrading for the graphics and music alone.

MK 8 includes some great new features such as gliding, racing upside down and up walls and some new weapons. It doesn't compromise on what makes the game great, so the older fan favourite tracks make a return. It features lots of tracks from the N64, Game Cube, DS and Wii plus new Wii U specific tracks. All of them look and play great. Multiplayer is smooth with no lags at all. The interface is simple and lets you and either play your friends or anyone around the world... and play quickly.

The only downside is Nintendo's stupidly strict internet communication rules, some router configurations mean you can't play with other players, you just get an error message... dumb in this age and day.

There's plenty to unlock and as always the replayability is really high.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
Plays as good as it looks.

Can't type more, I need to get back to Mario Kart 8 racing... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as anything I have seen on any other consoles, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
Bought for my 10 year old, he adores this game. The graphics are absolutely top drawer, as good as anything I have seen on any other consoles. The game play is tremendous, and the invention and design of the tracks is brilliant. He particularly likes playing online against other players from all over the world. In summary, a great game on a severely under-rated console. If you like gaming, do yourself a favour and ditch the xbox one and ps4 and get yourself a WiiU.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS game is THE reason I bought a wii U 6 months ago, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
Firstly I would like to state that I am a long fan of Mario kart and I played them all except the 3DS one and the arcade version. As the title stated this is the reason (with X and the Zelda wii U) I bought the wii U. Obviously if you read this review you may already have a Wii U and wondering if it's worth to buy.

I aim to review that title from a intermediate gamer who tries to explain this game to a casual gamer or someone who heard about it but never play. I will try to keep it short and give as much details as possible.

Before we go any further I think I will give my ranking for the Mario kart games I played from the less to the most favour.
6) Mario kart double Dash
5) Mario Kart GBA
4) Mario Kart DS
3) Mario kart wii
2) Mario Kart N64
1) Mario Kart (SNES)

Bear in mind it's always a constant battle between N64 and SNES version for the number 1 spot which are the first in the series. For me they are simple and the replay value is just great.

OK what's Mario Kart? It's a fantasy go-kart game where the protagonist of Mario series and those exclusive to Mario's spin off party games race for the title of the ultimate kart champion. You have 32 tracks in total, 8 cups to win and up to 22 characters to choose from (not sure the number is correct and even if it is at the time of writing the number will increase).

The game can be play with the Wii U game pad, the wii remote only, the wii remote with the nunchuk, the wii controller or the wii U controller. I did not test with the Wii controller as I don't own one.

You can play up to four players locally or if you don't have friend to play with you, can play online for FREE. Mario kart has several mode which are:
- Grand Prix mode: 12 racers compete for the title. 1,2,3 or 4 Human racers against the AI.
- time trial: race against the time where 1 player tries to be the fastest on track.
- Vs race: 1,2,3,4 player racer against each other or as a team.
- battle: 1,2,3 or 4 player try to pop each other balloon with item in a special arena.

For grand Prix, time trial and Vs race there are 3 levels of difficulty 50cc= easy,100 cc= normal and 150cc = expert.

There is a rumour on the web (with a picture) which reveal that the game may feature additional mode (Bomb-Omb Blast and Shine Thief) but at the time of the writing is still a rumour.

This bring me to my next point the DLC. At the time of the writing, it's unknown if the consumer will have to pay for DLC in order to gain additional characters, Kart's parts, new tracks/arenas. I am not a fan of DLC at all and I will downgrade my note if I have to pay for DLC in order to gain additional track but Nintendo has the reputation to give most of its DLC for free. It will be a very good marketing move if it happen. Either way (free or not), the game will expand from the initial purchase. In Japan the players can have a Mercedes skin kart as DLC (which I do believe is free).

One thing to bear in mind if you are new to the series or play mario kart Wii. The game is accessible to everybody, much easier than Mario kart wii. My wife is not at ALL what you would call an expert but she has fun and really enjoy herself playing that game. At first it will be tough especially if you setup the controller on motion but after the first race you will be OK.

If you are a parent and want to play with the kids, it's a good game to play all together. Just be aware that your competitive side will emerge even if you think you don't have one.

Something worth mentioning, for a limited time (until 30/07/2014) only if you buy that game you will be able to claim a free Wii U digital game (which can be claim until end of September 2014) after purchase. If you buy the game on 01/08/2014 you won't be able to claim any free wii U game. If you buy Mario before the 01/08/2014 but claim it after 30/09/2014 you won't get the game either.

Personally we chose Super Mario Wii U which at the time was still worth £39. It's like buy one game get one free. It just a good marketing thing and incentive for people to buy the game now. Please bear i stating this matter cause it make the game very good value even @ £40/£60. Even without it the game itself is good value @£40 or lower.

For me the aim of this game (and should be the case for every game) is to be fun and togetherness. In that aspect Mario kart succeed in that area. Do you want a game you can play again and again? then give it a shoot you won't be disappointed.

I would like to argue the point of some reviews where you may read (or hear) the game is similar to the previous entry... which is true for all franchise/series!!!! I don't know what others players expect but if they were hoping that Mario ad co will then put weapons on their kart and flying to a far far away galaxy then start shooting mutants/alien/robots or even humans in order to save the universe and just for the series to be different... I think they don't understand the concept of series.

finally here my note (don't want to go in details):
- Fun 10/10: You going to have a fun.
- Replay value - 10/10: You will come back to it even after a year
- Graphics - 10/10: Wow
- Music - 10/10: fantastic!!!
- easy to play/learning curve - 8/10: may be tricky if you use the motion setting.
- Price - 8/10: cause of the buy one get one free game otherwise I will score it 5/10 especially if DLC are not free..

On the bases that graphics is not everything, the fun factor and the replay value is what drive my purchase the most. I can't at this minute give this game less than 5 stars. May change depend on the DLC status (see update status in 3 month time).

Mario kart in general is a very good series, I still play N64 and SNES version from time to time and obviously the wii U version is still being played. This tell you that even if graphically the game will be outdated in 3 or 4 years, the online service will be off, you will come back to it cause the game is fun even on its own.

So if you planned to buy that game do it before 31/07/2104 and make sure you claim your free game before 01/10/2014. Cause even if you pay £39.99 it's good value for money.

Personally I can see me playing that game for the next 5 years to come and I would highly recommend that game for newcomers and fans of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not as good as past instalments, 26 July 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
A bit disappointed by this new sequel considering how much hype was made about it,yes its fun and great to see new tracks but its very similar to the 3DS Mario Kart 7 which is my favourite ever MK and this being a new console expected better.
The two things that annoy me the most is the awful steering which is very bad compared to the brilliant 1st WII version and you constantly hit the wall or fly off a cliff and second is still the frustrating way you lose right at the end from a red or green shell,believe me you know what I mean if you play it.
A very good game just not a epic one like the Wii,Snes or best 3DS versions but still fun as its still the Mario franchise.

5.0 out of 5 stars A BIG, BIG WOW!, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
Absolutely the best re-incarnation of Mario Kart ever. The HD graphics are stunning and the game play is spot on, with more than enough choices of Kart construction (Chassis, Wheels and flying aids. To be able to drive, walls and ceilings is both captivating and mesmerising.

Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U)
Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U) by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii U)