5.0 out of 5 stars Read a book, change your life, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: Zen and Tao, A Little Book on Buddhist Thought and Meditation (Kindle Edition)
I was going to title this review, "One of the best books in the universe," but decided against it because, I figured, everyone would think I was a friend of the author. So let me state I've never met him, but would like to see him speak some day. Zen and Tao, A Little Book on Buddhist Thought and Meditation by Dennis Waller is packed with so much wisdom, that if you completely lived by the contents of a single page you could change your life. The 50 Quotes at the beginning are well worth the price of the book. Then the author skillfully takes us through a series of translations he has done and finally to essays where he makes a compelling case that the Tao has been practiced by a diverse collection of "sages" from Jewish mystics, to great Native American chiefs to Emerson and even comic genius George Carlin! He also has written a simple and wonderful explanation of Zen. Two quotes from the book, "We cling to our point of view as though everything depended on it. Yet, our opinions have no permanence: like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away." - Chuang Tzu, and "The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings." -Okakura Kakuzo are a good frame of mind in which to begin this book. I can't wait to read this book again - it's one of those rare finds that needs to be reread at least once a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zen and Tao Quotes and Buddhist Meditations, 23 July 2013
An enjoyable book of quotes and meditations of the Zen and Tao Buddhists. This is not a little book, but very detailed and will give you a good grounding into the Buddhist thought patterns. Use the book to further your studies and journey to enlightenment or dip into it for quotes to help you cope with life.

I especially enjoyed the philosophies of the native Americans and their view that the world should be treasured for seven future generations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for Thought!, 11 Feb 2014
Dianne Harman (Huntington Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is not a book you want to read in one sitting. This is a book to keep on your Kindle or nightstand or desk and savor slowly. I read it lightly from page one to the end and now I'm digesting a few gems at a time. I've read a lot of books on Eastern philosophy and this is one of the best, hands down!. It should be required reading for anyone who is interested in what great minds have shared throughout the centuries. What I think I most enjoyed about this book is the playfulness of the author. He not only writes of Buddha, he writes of George Carlin and Emerson. The subject matter is not light, but the author has been able to make it easily accessible. Bottom line- this is a book filled with wisdom and I would love to have a conversation with the author. My congratulations on a superb book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 3 Feb 2014
A good read including excerpts from popular books in the field subject matter. A good refresher for those who are humanity conscious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Nov 2014
Easy to read but very thought provoking.