on 3 October 2013
This novel is about a group of people who are trying to survive after a disaster which is never explained in detail but we establish that there was a comet that caused huge fires. The book follows one main character and his associated group while they try and scavenge supplies, keep the peace with their neighbours and deal with some rogue elements who appear to be trying to kill them to take their supplies.

The main character is supposed to be a security expert and has the task of defensive security for the group yet is forever procrastinating about important security decisions and has failed to set up even rudimentary local defences or patrols. He manages to antagonise absolutely every single one of the group's neighbours and also sow discord within the group itself.

But aside from the self-destructive nature of the main character the book fails to satisfy on a literary level. While I understand the literal concept of the `slow reveal' where the author doesn't try and set the scene in the first few pages but provides snippets of information for the reader to slowly build a picture; this concept works well for one thing. It does not work well when it's used to for the predicament our characters find themselves in and for the history of the characters themselves, and for the description of the local area. The reader is left trying to piece the story together like doing a jigsaw puzzle in the dark.

The book would have benefited very much from a map showing the area and the other groups surrounding the main characters. There were towns and bridges and groups mentioned but by the end of the book I'd not managed to work out in my head how our characters `world' actually looked. I was well into the book before it was made clear that events were based somewhere in Canada.

Character development is also poor. Characters are very slowly introduced through the diary entries of a pervert who focuses more on how `doable' the female characters are and omits vital information that would help the reader imagine the characters such as age, main task within the group and relationship to the other characters.

I noted 11 grammatical errors throughout the book which suggests a lack of editing or proof reading.

When I downloaded this book it was free, and it was just about worth it. I'll not be going to this author again.
on 30 May 2013
Where do I start?no real depth to what happened,just folk struggling to survive by scavaging for supplies.half way through when I thought to myself,where is this going?still I battled on for no other reason than to finish it.
on 3 April 2013
`After the fires went out: Coyote' is the first, full-length novel in this series which surrounds a post-apocalyptic theme. Set within North America after the great destruction, I felt that this was reminiscent of `War of the Worlds' after the Earth had been attacked and devastation was left in the enemies wake. Containing graphic, bloody violence and explicit language this is indeed a singular book in which the author leaves nothing to the imagination. Not usually a genre or style of novel that I would pluck from the shelf, I was quite surprised by how engaging I found the plot to be and how I was drawn into a riveting saga of thought-provoking candidness.

`First came the comet.
Then came the fires.
Now we fight to save, what's left...

Baptiste, stranded 500 miles from his wife and daughter, at the northern edge of civilization, has made a vow to protect a teenage girl from the chaos that surrounds them. But as food and fuel runs out, and even friends prove they can't be trusted, Baptiste realizes that this promise won't be easy to keep.

Distinctly raw and acutely poignant, Regan Wolfrom strips bare our outer shells so as to expose inner emotion and natural instinct. Powerfully evocative and redolent, I was shocked by the frankness and harshness of the danger and situation that the characters were faced with. This is certainly not a novel for the faint-hearted, for it addresses those (often bloodcurdling, terrifying) situations that in nightmares may come to pass and which challenge life. I also found this novel rather emotive at times, as I connected with some of the characters deeply and in doing so it felt much more realistic and compelling.

I have taken into consideration with my rating the amount of foul language used and explicit sex scenes, which personally I felt detracted from the storyline and should have been either not included or `toned down' to something less blunt. The inspired, original narrative is ingenious and so I highly commend the author for this as it grasped my attention throughout. Left with mixed views I would highlight the coarseness of the language and sexual content, as it might detract from ones enjoyment of the story or glaze-over the dramatic events that otherwise do amaze.

3.5 stars.

*I would like to thank the author for sending a paperback copy of his novel "after the fires went out: Coyote" as I enjoyed reading his work*
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2013
What happened? The author doesn't bother to tell you, the book is just a series of long meaningless conversations with no description, no story and no background information. If you want something to put you to sleep then this is the book for you!
on 3 November 2013
I will be honest, I enjoyed many aspects of this story, and i was completely absorbed in the first two thirds. It had a surprising twist, which was the best bit of the story. I have to say that i had a complete un empathy with some of the characters, and i need to use this word, was repelled by some of their behavior. I am abit of a stickler and will continue to read the series, but this book brought out intense emotions, some of which were quite negative towards characters that i suspect were meant to be likeable. Post apocalyptic fans will enjoy.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2013
OK, a survival story, but seems to dwell on one rather unreasonable person who has attitude. Did not learn much about survival techniques from this book.
on 14 May 2013
Another post apocalyptic story of the struggle for survival - it does lead you through and of course leads you on to book two...
on 25 March 2013
Maybe it is because I read a lot of this genre, but this book really had something a bit different than the usual offerings.