Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 DownloadChange

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 February 2013
This is classic soundtrack stuff, a lot of keyboard and picked guitar driven tracks with washes of strings, brushed drumwork, the odd bit of fuzzy guitar etc. We do however also have a country tinged track in What are they doing in Heaven... but theree are also tracks which are maybe more typical Mogwai, quiet, louder, loud then quiet again. Eagle Tax springs to mind for this and the album closer Wizard Motor is a kitchen sink and all track but on the whole this is one of those albums where soundscapes and mood are predominant, an air of menace tinging the experience without it ever quite becoming fright night. This is an album to play once, then immediately play again as new nuances become apparent and then play it a third time with the lights off.
VINE VOICEon 25 July 2013
I'll admit that until The Returned started on TV, all I knew about Mogwai was the fact that they had a pretty awesome name. But the music for the TV program stuck out for me from the first episode, especially the wonderfully delicate yet punchy opening credits theme.

I'm already a fan of ambient music from the likes of Brian Eno, so if I had to make a comparison I'd describe Mogwai's soundtrack as being a darker cousin to Eno's stuff. Most of the tracks are quietly ominous, but easy to listen to and enjoy for their inventive and memorable melodies. There's really only one *uplifting* track, 'Special N' - most definitely one of my favourites, and a nice refresher before plunging back into the brooding mystery of The Returned's other music. Aside from 'Special N', the stand-out tracks are 'Hungry Face' (the opening credits theme), 'Modern' (very catchy electronic track) and 'Wizard Motor'. You've got to love the names. 'Wizard Motor' is surely the most recognisable track after 'Hungry Face'; it accompanies many of The Returned's more dramatic scenes, and whenever I listen to it I can't avoid remembering the end of the first episode when we get a disturbingly immersive view of Camille's school coach plunging down the mountainside.

The only track I don't like out of the whole album is 'What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?'. I found hearing a lyrical song at the very end of an instrumental album to be jarring, and it wasn't helped by the singer's rather drawling, monotone delivery. Apart from that, 'Les Revenants' is an unblemished piece of musical delight, great for listening to in the background (especially for writing) or just listening for the sake of listening. Recommended.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have found this to be a beautiful album....atmospheric ........I like many others enjoyed the TV series and the soundtrack enhanced my enjoyment.....when listening to the full tracks you are pulled in by their beauty.....I like Mogwai's stuff anyway but particulerly enjoyed this.......
on 18 March 2013
Yes, this is fine if you like "quiet" atmospheric Mogwai, such as Music For a Forgotten Future from Hardcore Will Never Die. If you're looking for loud Mogwai, put on Batcat. There are 12 short quiet instrumentals - no long epics. Plus "What are they doing in heaven today", a "traditional arrangement" with vocals. Then the last track "Wizard Motor" is more of a normal Mogwai album track, and reminds me of White Noise. 50 minutes of stuff overall.
on 13 September 2013
Having watched the TV series, which I think is great (can't wait for the next series to start), I thought I'd get the soundtrack and I'm really pleased I did, excellent. If you're a fan if the series or even if not and enjoy good music, BUY IT! You won't be disappointed. I actually bought the MP3 version, a perfect download
on 6 August 2013
I had no previous acquaintance with the work of Mogwai before I began watching "Les Revenants" on Channel 4 this summer. Their music absolutely made the story come alive (if that's not an inappropriate word) for me. It has haunted me now for two months. Since acquiring the CD I have been listening to it in the car on my commute to work and, frankly, it is affecting my perception of the world. (I write this in the aftermath of two recent significant bereavements.) This is spare and austere music in keeping with its solemn subject. The elements are simple. Repetitive motives suggest obsessive behaviour, e.g. of persistent grief as well as Serge's pathological actions as a serial killer. Distortion and feedback have the effect of fingernails on a chalk-board. Use of intervals such as compound augmented fourths (the infamous "diabola in musica") heighten the sense of encroaching anxiety. The cumulative effect is devastating - for example, on the first track, in which the glockenspiel suggests the vulnerability of "Victor" (his real name, we eventually discover, is Louis) and Camille, the two children among the "returned"; the lyrical 'cello speaks of the sadness of the bereaved, whilst the insistent drumming suggests the anger, bewilderment and frustration both of the untimely dead and those who mourn them.

The (presumably) ironic inclusion of a version of the early 20th Century free-church hymn "What are they doing in Heaven today?" poignantly highlights the dilemma faced by all the characters, living and dead, at the end of the first series, as the returned have patently not been existing in any kind of beatific afterlife during their absence - much as the bereaved people who miss them might have wished they had been - and its inclusion makes the double-suicide of the Koretzkys even more painful, even though this track was not included in the TV series (as far as I can remember).
on 11 August 2013
If you've seen the series this is the soundtrack for, then you'll know what this is all about. It is absolutely brilliant. Moody, atmospheric, dark, deep. It's a great album as a standalone piece, but what makes it really work is knowing where it's from, what it's for. I can't reccomend this album enough.
on 15 March 2014
on 29 November 2013
Well I purchased this as I liked the TV show it came from and was intrigued by the music. Never having listened to anything by this band in the past I was pleasantly surprised. It was also nice to hear the full track instead of the snippets we heard in the TV show
on 23 September 2013
If you liked the drama series you'll love this album, quite spooky but beautifully crafted, tremendous depth of sound with great audio quality. I hadn't heard Mogwai before but I'm now searching out their back catalogue on the strength of this album. Love it!