4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet Mogwai
Published 16 months ago by I Crompton

3.0 out of 5 stars Opening theme best bit of Les Revenants Soundtrack
I loved the series Les Revenants and the opening theme tune on this soundtrack but the rest of this, although atmospheric, is a little lacking on the value front.
Published 11 months ago by Sue Hagues

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet Mogwai, 18 Mar 2013
I Crompton (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
Yes, this is fine if you like "quiet" atmospheric Mogwai, such as Music For a Forgotten Future from Hardcore Will Never Die. If you're looking for loud Mogwai, put on Batcat. There are 12 short quiet instrumentals - no long epics. Plus "What are they doing in heaven today", a "traditional arrangement" with vocals. Then the last track "Wizard Motor" is more of a normal Mogwai album track, and reminds me of White Noise. 50 minutes of stuff overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laid back excellence, 25 Feb 2013
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
This is classic soundtrack stuff, a lot of keyboard and picked guitar driven tracks with washes of strings, brushed drumwork, the odd bit of fuzzy guitar etc. We do however also have a country tinged track in What are they doing in Heaven... but theree are also tracks which are maybe more typical Mogwai, quiet, louder, loud then quiet again. Eagle Tax springs to mind for this and the album closer Wizard Motor is a kitchen sink and all track but on the whole this is one of those albums where soundscapes and mood are predominant, an air of menace tinging the experience without it ever quite becoming fright night. This is an album to play once, then immediately play again as new nuances become apparent and then play it a third time with the lights off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual and very listenable, 25 July 2013
Chantal Lyons (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
I'll admit that until The Returned started on TV, all I knew about Mogwai was the fact that they had a pretty awesome name. But the music for the TV program stuck out for me from the first episode, especially the wonderfully delicate yet punchy opening credits theme.

I'm already a fan of ambient music from the likes of Brian Eno, so if I had to make a comparison I'd describe Mogwai's soundtrack as being a darker cousin to Eno's stuff. Most of the tracks are quietly ominous, but easy to listen to and enjoy for their inventive and memorable melodies. There's really only one *uplifting* track, 'Special N' - most definitely one of my favourites, and a nice refresher before plunging back into the brooding mystery of The Returned's other music. Aside from 'Special N', the stand-out tracks are 'Hungry Face' (the opening credits theme), 'Modern' (very catchy electronic track) and 'Wizard Motor'. You've got to love the names. 'Wizard Motor' is surely the most recognisable track after 'Hungry Face'; it accompanies many of The Returned's more dramatic scenes, and whenever I listen to it I can't avoid remembering the end of the first episode when we get a disturbingly immersive view of Camille's school coach plunging down the mountainside.

The only track I don't like out of the whole album is 'What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?'. I found hearing a lyrical song at the very end of an instrumental album to be jarring, and it wasn't helped by the singer's rather drawling, monotone delivery. Apart from that, 'Les Revenants' is an unblemished piece of musical delight, great for listening to in the background (especially for writing) or just listening for the sake of listening. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful......, 20 Aug 2013
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
I have found this to be a beautiful album....atmospheric ........I like many others enjoyed the TV series and the soundtrack enhanced my enjoyment.....when listening to the full tracks you are pulled in by their beauty.....I like Mogwai's stuff anyway but particulerly enjoyed this.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Revelation, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
I had no previous acquaintance with the work of Mogwai before I began watching "Les Revenants" on Channel 4 this summer. Their music absolutely made the story come alive (if that's not an inappropriate word) for me. It has haunted me now for two months. Since acquiring the CD I have been listening to it in the car on my commute to work and, frankly, it is affecting my perception of the world. (I write this in the aftermath of two recent significant bereavements.) This is spare and austere music in keeping with its solemn subject. The elements are simple. Repetitive motives suggest obsessive behaviour, e.g. of persistent grief as well as Serge's pathological actions as a serial killer. Distortion and feedback have the effect of fingernails on a chalk-board. Use of intervals such as compound augmented fourths (the infamous "diabola in musica") heighten the sense of encroaching anxiety. The cumulative effect is devastating - for example, on the first track, in which the glockenspiel suggests the vulnerability of "Victor" (his real name, we eventually discover, is Louis) and Camille, the two children among the "returned"; the lyrical 'cello speaks of the sadness of the bereaved, whilst the insistent drumming suggests the anger, bewilderment and frustration both of the untimely dead and those who mourn them.

The (presumably) ironic inclusion of a version of the early 20th Century free-church hymn "What are they doing in Heaven today?" poignantly highlights the dilemma faced by all the characters, living and dead, at the end of the first series, as the returned have patently not been existing in any kind of beatific afterlife during their absence - much as the bereaved people who miss them might have wished they had been - and its inclusion makes the double-suicide of the Koretzkys even more painful, even though this track was not included in the TV series (as far as I can remember).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 31 May 2014
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
I knew about the album because I'd actually watched the TV series it was written for. I really enjoyed that, so I wanted to get the album.

I'd never heard of Mogwai before, but I loved this. The tracks are all very powerful and very beautiful.

My one disappointment is that the tracks were a bit too short, but then you remember that it was written for TV.

Other than that, this is an amazing album. If you like a lot of weird sounds, dissonant piano, almost minimalist music that really makes you feel a bit scared, get this!

Just, don't listen to it when you walk into college and all the lights are off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re: Awesome soundtrack, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
Beautiful soundtrack to a fantastic series. Bought as a present for an editor friend/colleague who shall use the stuffing out of it on his next gig I imagine.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
ITEM ARRIVED IN GOOD TIME AND ORDER. I FIRST HEARD MOGWAI WHILE VIEWING THIS SERIES ON TV AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE MUSIC. THIS HAS LEAD ME TO BUYING OTHER CDS ALSO. PERHAPS NOT EVERYONE'S CUP OF TEA BUT IT ALL DEPENDS ON PERSONAL TASTE IN MUSIC - AND THIS IS MINE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 5 Mar 2014
Ls Mcdougall (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
This CD is so atmospheric and reminds me so much of the series. It is so dark but also emotional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my!!!!, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
Saw the series and loved it so had to get the soundtrack - it is wonderful!!!! The music is eerie and atmospheric, great when you want a chillax with a glass of wine in front of the fire! Go for it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›