Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 16 April 2013
I first heard a Steve Earle track almost 25 years ago.

From the first moment I heard that voice I was hooked - and now a quarter of a century later, after all the booze, the drugs, the jail time and the many many marriages he's still here and still able to make me stop and listen for 45 minutes.

This collection of songs is quite possibly his best yet - the voice, the emotion and the stories that underpin all he does now is apparent form first track to last. this isn't going to get any radio airplay in the uk at all but it will be a permanent fixture on car mp3 player for the forseeable future.

I haven't watched the dvd yet and I don't have the ability to play the high def audio copy on the dvd but as they added only a a few pence to the cost they have to be worthwhile buying.

21st century blues is my standout track - love it.

Classic Steve Earle, Simply brilliant.
on 15 April 2013
I felt that whilst the last album he made with T Bone Burnett had some strong songs on it, they were all very similar in feel and kind of blended into each other. Making a "road" record as Steve describes it forced Steve to make a more instinctive record here and his fans are rewarded with probably the most musically versatile he has made in ages. Its always hard to assess where a Steve record will rank, he isnt capable of making a bad record although I do feel that the last album for the reasons I expressed was a bit lacklustre.

The album puts you in the unique position that only a major songwriter like Steve would put you in , where your favourite track changes almost daily. The power of good music is it catches up on you so initially hearing "Invisible" I was underwhelmed safe to say I love the song now , a song that deals with how you might feel as a homeless person. Steve will never claim to be a saint but he does write about things that matter to the common man the last song is a heartfelt plea to his very young son John Henry Earle for him to "Remember Me" as with Steve being a father in his fifties he deals with the fact that he may not see his son grow up.I think this may be the only song that may not work for some people, at least not straight away but the sentiments he expresses are sincere. John Henry also has autism another fight for the Earle's.

As soon as you hear the first chords of "Low Highway" where Steve imagines himself in the Depression, you know you are in for treat, and there are also songs that rock like Calico County or Is that All Youve got? (sang with his beautiful wife Alison Moorer)or Down the road (Part 2) to more heartfelt songs like "Burning It down" , After Mardi Gras and Love's Gonna Blow My Way are very different to anything he's tried before with a beautiful violin weaving itself in and out of both songs, as is the piano chord driven Pocketful of Rain- these songs best exemplifies how Steve was trying new things on this record. Warren Hellman's Banjo is less than 2 minutes long and sees him revisit the bluegrass roots we loved on "The Mountain". 21st Century Blues is the most "political" he gets and is it a political song in the usual sense you get With Steve, or just him expressing that we live in a world gone wrong?

This record has helped me rediscover Steve's music as I went back and listened to some older records that believe it or not never hit me that much on first listen namely Jerusalem and The Revolution Starts Now. Its a wonderful record and with his son Justin Townes hitting us with a new record later on this year to be a fan of the Earles is a very rewarding thing.
66 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2013
I downloaded this to see and I will now do the right thing and buy this. If an album is good I like to buy the real thing.Its had 3 listenings tonight and grows on you each time. Thanks Steve. A great collection of tunes. You havent finished yet.
A special songwriter that keeps on keeping on.
on 25 April 2013
I've been a fan of Steve since I purchased Guitar Town when I had a lot less grey hair. I got this album from Amazon a couple of days ago and it's been played, played, played and played again. It's such a great album and right through to the last track a songbook of true delight.
on 16 April 2013
My expectations for a new Steve Earle recording is that it's simply Earle being Earle. As much as he enjoys flights of fancy, love songs, and songs honoring family and friends, he equally cannot tear himself away from injustice, hardships, and acknowledgements of the frailty of our lives - and especially his own.

As an audience it's possible to become somewhat used to things simply being excellent, so much so that we can forget just how good Earle is. His consistent output is such that pre-ordering once a new disc comes up is a reflex action on my part.

This recording covers the usual canvas, from the disenfranchised to simple melodies and messages. The other musicians are used subtly, but careful attention to the backing track reveals the details nicely.

Writing "this is Earle being Earle" m ay sound like damning with faint praise, but the fact is he has defined himself long ago, and is simply plowing the furrow in ever more deliberate ways. And so consistent is his work that you could choose this, or any other of his recordings, as an introduction.

The CD comes in a Digipac that folds out into three panels. The booklet contains full lyrics. The "Special Edition" includes a "Making of" film, and a music video on a DVD. However, the real bonus is a high resolution copy of the album in 24/96.
on 2 May 2013
An outstanding album, as one can rightly expect of Steve Earle. Worldly worn and worldly wise, politically astute and acerbic, can rock your friggin' socks off, passionate and romantic.

A song that has been given quite a bit of attention from this latest release is 'Burnin' It Down' where Earle imagines torching a Wallmart store. Whilst the sentiment is angry enough, there is a beauty in the song itself and a resignation in the empathised rationale for the act which tempers the idea somehow. What I mean is there's more pathos in the `why' of the thought than considering the violence of the act.

Allison Moorer adds great harmony, and accordion, to the slight TexMex of 'That All You Got'. This, 'Love's Gonna Blow My Way' - with violin by Eleanor Whitmore - and 'After Mardi Gras' are a trio of fine songs written by Steve for his appearances as a character in the equally fine New Orleans-set TV drama 'Treme'.

Earle's weary Texas drawl is such a distinctive sound, and when he talks low and painfully through 'Invisible' - a song about being itinerant/dislocated/disconnected - there is such an authenticity it hurts. This quality is heightened with the album closer, the genuinely emotive 'Remember Me', a song Earle has written for his baby son, John Henry, as he a father of 58 anticipates the inevitable separation his age will cause so much earlier than he would have wanted. It could be a maudlin moment, but the honesty with which Earle has always written and sung his songs wrests this excellent one from that possibility.
on 20 May 2013
I always like the idea of a bonus DVD with extra tracks, interviews, scenes in the studio etc. In this case there's the making of the album, a video clip, the making of the videoclip en all studiotracks in a high resolution analog audio mix.
However whatever I do I can't seem to find the extra 4 livetracks from Austin Tx live as I was reading about in other reviews. As a great admirer of Steve Earle's work (and this album is of an exeptionally high quality) I'ld like to have his oeuvre complete. Is it possible that the bonus DVD is released in two forms one with the bonus live tracks and one without? Who can fill me in?
Because it isn't mentioned at the back sleeve.
As a last remark. Steve Earle is along with Springsteen one of the few artists who keep writing about people who in this neo-liberal world are considered losers but are simply victims of politicians and policies only interested in money and glamour. Let both of them keep making music with heart in it.
 The Low Highway
on 29 April 2013
Have listened to this about half a dozen times (on my tedious daily commute) & after just the 2nd play, found myself singing Remember Me - what a beautiful song. Couple of other things struck me: intro to Calico County reminded me of the beginning of something on Washington Square Serenade, but without playing all of WSS I can't figure out which track; bits of Love's Gonna Blow My Way put me in mind of Willie Nelson's take on Irving Berlin's Blue Skies (go figure that one!); there's a line about ghosts (in Calico County again maybe?) in a song that brought to mind The Mountain. The overall feel for me reflected Burnett's influence still -in a good way. Looking forward very much to the gig in May, & despite a wealth of new material, my fingers are firmly crossed for a Billy Austin encore, like we had at the Royal Festival Hall a few years ago. Harley is sorely missed from this series of Treme, too! Carolyn Middleton, Aberdeen, Scotland
on 11 May 2013
On the one hand I am 'the converted' as in 'preaching to', but on the other hand I have many years of Steve Earle for comparison purposes. What I really like about this album is it's lack of immediate impact and obvious depth. It's an album that repeated listens peel away the layers so the enjoyment is richer. The opening track feels just like an opening track - a foretaste of what's to come, but without revealing too much. It's followed by the rowdier, buzzing Calico County that feels to me like the rollicking road song it probably is. Burnin' it down turned up on a Uncut magazine sampler before I bought the album proper and I have to say it gave me endless fun and laughter playing it to people and trying to work out what the hell Steve's lyrics were. Frankly much of it is unintelligeable, but you get the message about returning to his home town and wanting to burn down the local Walmart. That all you got feels just a little to me like 'better write something for the wife to duet on, and as such is reminiscent of other better son. But 'Love's gonna blow me away' is a classic. Uptempo, sounding familiar yet not, and with some great fiddle work. If that's Steve's first co-write, I wouldn't mind one or two more. I presume the next three tracks are the New Orleans trilogy, hidden depths to be uncovered.Warren Hellman's Banjo could definitely have fallen off 'The Mountain' before Down the Road Pt2 follows. The last two tracks are repeat players yet totally different.21st Century blues bemoans the lack of progress to the cartoon future of flying cars etc that Kennedy promised before the gorgeous closer of 'Remember Me' - surely a personal song by Steve as the older father to his son Justin. I really love this album and the DVD is a great bonus.
on 1 July 2013
I went to see Steve Earle in concert. He played the whole of the album, which I'd never heard.. After buying it and listening I realised I could remember every song from the show.
That to me is the mark of a great record, and it gets better with repeated listening.
He is, I believe, one of the few long running artists that is constantly making outstanding albums, and the Low Highway is no exception.

is no exception.