Format: DVDChange

on 29 April 2013
This is the first one of this series I have watched. I'm pleased that I took a chance on it, as the collection of short films offers poignancy, insight and one or two moments of humour. The acting is credible if not top notch. I particularly like those scenes which portray how mundane life can be. It could certainly be argued that the overall colour is rather dark ... it really isn't the film for you if you're looking for a fun time or acres of flesh ... but sometimes, maybe reflection on the gay experience is worthwhile. I'm guessing many of us will have experienced something depicted in at least one of the films. I recommend it.
on 25 May 2013
The ninth and latest short film compendium from Peccadillo is the usual mixture of the good the bad and the ugly. I was impressed with several of the shorts whilst others were forgettable. But then this will invariably be the case in such a presentation, so I'll focus on the former. The best acted is probably 'Easy Money' (Spanish) starring Spanish star Mario Casas as a male escort who is in for a BIG surprise with his latest client. 'Together' (UK) is a disturbing mystery with an element of suspense but not too believable. Why not call the police? The complex 'Colonial Gods (UK)' asks more questions than it answers but is a brave attempt at racial/social/sexual drama given from the ethnic point of view . The other films all have their merits and shortcomings but 'Prora' (Swiss/German) is the exception. A nice depiction of friends crossing the best mates/first lovers barrier. No one else is involved and the two boys give striking performances. That the drama is set in an abandoned former Nazi facility gives this an edge and makes you think a little harder although you can still enjoy it as a story. The ending is also heartwarming if a touch ambiguous. A making of short is also entertaining although not enlightening. This is worth buying for the aforementioned and there are more films with 'messages' than is usual in this series. But if it's simply entertainment that you're after, 'Boys on Film: Youth in Trouble' also fits the bill. In various languages with subtitles (where thought appropriate). I didn't notice the sountracks too much so I feel they were unobtrusive. Apart from the 'Prora' making of short, the usual trailers are added. Worth owning as the latest in this impressive series.
on 12 June 2013
It is a pity that many of these short film regard being gay as a problem and not just as a fact of life you can agreeably live with. Watching these shorts gives you a rather warped view of being gay.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 16 March 2014
Boys On Film 9 is subtitled Youth In Trouble, and viewers should be prepared for the darker tone of some of the films. Together is a sort of horror scenario, quite effective, but I kept taking the headphones off as I don't like scary films - I suppose this means the music is quite well devised, but it's not one I would watch again. Easy Money is also unappealing, save for the good looks of the main actor. But what a shame to waste him in such tacky material - about a rentboy who is asked to murder a client's wife - again with quite a threatening tone. Colonial Gods and Family Affair have more interesting aspects but fail to make any real impact.
Four of the eight shorts are worth at least four stars: the sexiest offering for me is The Wilding, although this again is quite violent, set in a youth detention centre where the very attractive main character endeavours to protect his cellmate from other gay desires less kind than his own. It is a real film, very well shot and with a poetry in the images of a kind you imagine Jean Genet would have liked.
Deep End is also good, about two brothers. It concerns their conflict over the older one coming out to his more masculine but less than fully grown brother, and doesn't outstay its welcome.
Prora is likely to have many fans, focusing on two older teens, one French and one German, staying on Ruegen Island, where there is a derelict Nazi-era housing development called Prora - it's so huge it's quite unnerving, and anyone who thinks they have a bit of peeling paintwork should see the ceilings on the stairs here. It is a space I don't like, and the nearby beach seems coloured by it, however it is imaginatively used and the boys' sparring hovers on the edge of homoeroticism, while the soundtrack sounds a bit like a guitar riff in a Tina Turner song, as if she might suddenly start singing a husky variant of "Out of the ruins, Out from the wreckage ... " The sex scene leads to further unpredictable elements ... it exerts a certain hold and has some excellent camera angles, with a small motorised camera looming like a helicopter to give an aerial view of the estate.
The best of all for me is possibly It's Not A Cowboy Movie - along with The Wilding - which focuses on two parallel discussions going on in the school toilets, one between two boys, one of whom is describing Brokeback Mountain to the other with barely concealed curiosity, and the other between two girls who have also seen it on TV the night before, one of whose father is gay. It is in French and very funny, with a lot of slang and modern ways of talking affectionately parodied, which comes across in the subtitles and tone of voice. There's also a good `Making of ...' about Prora.
on 6 June 2013
I love peccapics and in particularly the boys on film series . Both me and my partner had to ration ourselves to watching over 2 nights as these shorts are so addictive . Personally I feel this series gets better and better ; there is less obvious cute comedy here and a lot more thought . Yes it is quite bleak but then I didn't want marshmallow bubble gum fluff , I wanted to be challenged and to think . . Dont watch Together and then go to sleep , I still dont want to see if the loft is open !Hard to say which was my fav . The extras showing how Prora is most informative as you really see the effort and care and love that goes into these shorts . My only regret ; now have to wait another year for the next collection.
on 4 June 2013
I rated 5by5 because these short are great little films that will hopeful spawn full length movies. Also these are director to keep an eye in the future. I would highly recommend this to my friends.
on 6 July 2013
Some great little shorts here - some touching, some surprising, some shocking. But then some were not so great, and I felt thrown in just to make up the numbers. Still worth a look though.
on 8 May 2014
The characters in these films show you their entire interior world with their faces. Part of that is the talent of the actors, although there is something more than talent going on. It seems to have something to do with allure plus intelligence plus recognition.

I watched these films with an increasing feeling of belonging to the LGBTQ world. It is a series of short films but the vision is a long one, and covers a great deal of territory.

For some days after watching these films, you may be surprised to still "see" the characters' faces.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2014
Eight shorts, between 11 minutes and 29 minutes. One is quite fun (It's not a cowboy movie), two more are watchable (Deep End and Prora), but the rest are dire rubbish. Colonial Gods is not even gay themed.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2013
The delivery for this item was quick (3 days). I opened the DVD and watched it with two friends. I have 4 other boys on film short films and I have always been happy with the content. The new 9 version with various short films was boring, dark, not entertaining and hard to understand (no subtitles in 2 of the films). I dont think i actually liked any of the short films. One of my friends left early and the other one feel asleep. Enough said really. Bad show boys on film.
44 comments2 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse