5.0 out of 5 stars Classic American Detective Novel
This was my first Ed McBain 87th Precinct novel and one of the most satisfying reads in a long time. I couldn't wait to pick it back up and be back with the characters and plot. The writing is economical the plot really well thought out. It moves at a fast pace and keeps you guessing with a series of plot turns and reveals.

The characters have depth and really...
Published 19 months ago by C. Rees

Published 18 months ago by H. M. Sykes

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic American Detective Novel, 6 Oct. 2013
C. Rees "reescb" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread (87th Precinct) (Kindle Edition)

The characters have depth and really work well together, held together by great dialogue. They have substance and that air of reality. Although written some time ago, the style is fresh and engaging.

I loved it and can't wait to start my next in the 87th Precinct series. I will always have affection for Bread as my first introduction to McBain's work.

3.0 out of 5 stars At school I used to read Ed McBain voraciously, he hasn't changed much, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Bread (87th Precinct) (Kindle Edition)
What appeals to a teenager does not necessarily carry over its appeal when we are older. I read this for nostalgia's sake and I quite enjoyed it but I can't say there was anything different from his previous, distantly remembered novels, nor outstanding about it. It's the sort of book that is good for keeping you occupied for a few hours but that's about it. I think there are better thrillers but I wouldn't say it was bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars roy rainbird, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Bread (87th Precinct) (Kindle Edition)
Exactly the genre and old style I was looking for.Great joy to revisit the real old masters of crime writing when squad detectives still rolled their sleeves up, loosened their collars and ties, drank endless coffee, sometimes thumped suspects AND went and solved homicides without mobile phones or whizz-kid iPad technology. PHONE kiosks had to be used and cameras used film! Remember those days???

5.0 out of 5 stars The Return, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Bread (87th Precinct) (Kindle Edition)
This is the first McBain book I have read for over 20 years and have to say it was like welcoming back a long lost relative. It was strange to read that ` Carella`s ` kids are only nine???? but the rest was just fantastic. The 87th for those not having read any is set I think in the 50`s or 60`s era in a fictional American city. No computers or mobile phones, and every investigated through legwork. A great storyline, believable characters, written with style. I look forward to reading more great 87th stories in the future

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Bread (87th Precinct) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy ed McBain's. 87th precinct novels and I enjoyed this one and read it through in one sitting. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Bread (87th Precinct) (Kindle Edition)
The plot is simplified by today's standards but none the less excellent read. The characters are nice and humorous. I would recommend it for an easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best authors ever, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Bread (87th Precinct) (Kindle Edition)
Have already read all of Ed.Mc.Bains books years ago , and think I still have them in hardback somewhere.
So when I saw them on kindle I thought Great I can read them again he was one of the best crime writers I have ever read

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread, 15 April 2013
Janet (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread (87th Precinct) (Kindle Edition)
I love Ed McBain's books. He has been my favourite author for more than 40 years. A sad day for me when he died in 2005.

5.0 out of 5 stars another McBain Masterpiece, 23 Sept. 2014
the title eighty million Dollars is of course WRONG it's eyes.
but thats only on amazons description.
The book is fine - just like i remember 30 years ago. Don't let the fact the book was written decades ago prejudice your thoughts. It's still a great read. great story, full of the familiar crew. You do actually feel like you begin to know these people. And care about them. To the extent that when they say something it's how you think they would say it. There is seldom if ever a line where I thought that's not what Steve would have said.
Considering howmany 87th novels there are it's impressive the stories areso varied.
Also the fact they were written so long ago, (most of them, I have to say some of the latter ones were a bit too modern for my taste), gives us a great insight in to the politics and values of the time. They also depict the harsher events of life and death in an exrtremely realistic yet palletable way. (Less tru of the most recent offerings. In my opinion He should have kept Carella et al in a bubble. These years were Mc Bain's / Hunter's best.
Apologies for any typing mistakes in this review the machine I'm using is sluggish to say the least and does not keep up with even a slow typer like me.
ACID TEST: would I buy again - if anything happened to this copy definitely

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ,exciting reading, 13 July 2013
I enjoyed reading Bread but I do enjoy
all Ed McBain. Some of his books I have enjoyed more
it was not one of the ones I could not put down.

Bread (87th Precinct)