No spoilers here & one useful tip (in my opinion).

What a great book.

Published 23 months ago by Mister G

2.0 out of 5 stars Well-researched, but dull - returned Kindle book for refund!
The author has done a lot of research about Somalian pirates, and the political situation and the Seals. But the resulting book felt like a cut-and-paste of the research. And his Seal protagonist comes across as very serious and dull. All the Special Forces books I've read have always had buddy banter, which is part of soldiering. This book takes itself too seriously...
Published 13 months ago by Rona M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-researched, action packed book, on an interesting topic - piracy, 15 Mar. 2013
Mister G (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
No spoilers here & one useful tip (in my opinion).

What a great book.

I picked this book up as the Kindle Daily Deal. It's worth paying full price for it. I must admit that I have to restrict the temptation to buy any Daily Deal that lies within my field of interest so I downloaded the free preview before buying and was not impressed - some of the prose seemed a little amateur (I am embarrassed to say that having read the book subsequently - I was wrong). But I bought it anyway as the pirate topic interests me.

I found the book interesting and, regarding piracy, educational (for example, the defences that shipping companies have taken against piracy recently). I found it hard to put down and read it in four days. I haven't done that with a book for a while now - it's the acid test for a good book. It reminded me of reading a Tom Clancy book - praise indeed.

The author mentions the research that he carried out in the Acknowledgements (accessible via the Table of Contents) and it really shows in the quality of the book. The author remarks that he interviewed/spent time with pararescuers in Long Island and Djibouti, and spent two weeks on a cargo ship between Malta & Dubai.

One tip: the book uses military terms, i.e. there are lots of acronyms. There is a Glossary at the end of the book, accessible via 'Go To'/'Table of Contents'. I was foolish enough to just Google the acronyms - some of them are relatively obscure so a Google search doesn't always yield an immediate hit. I wish I had thought of checking for a Glossary.

Fast-moving action on a novel topic. I SO enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Action Thriller, 15 Nov. 2013
This was an outstanding thriller that brought the problem of pirates and hostage rescue to light. Its description of the military actions seemed very realistic and quite plausible. A very good read which I would be happy to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 26 Nov. 2013
Fast-paced yet carefully written, knowledgable yet not too geeky, unputdownable yet fulfilling. Can we have more parajumper stories please Mr Robbins?

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to put down., 12 Nov. 2013
Very easy to read and well described actions and personages. I will be looking for more books of this writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Devil's Waters (A USAF Pararescue Thriller), 20 April 2013
Gill (Bangor, NI) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When Somali pirates hijack a freighter in the Gulf of Aden they picked the wrong ship - it is carrying a cargo so secret that it could bring down the Governments of four nations. Only one person on board knows what it is - Sergeant LB DiNardo of the Army Pararescue Service, an elite unit of the US Special Forces. Given the urgency of the task, the nearest US force in the area is the Army Pararescue Service (known as PJ's), based in Djibouti and they are tasked with parachuting onto the ship under cover of darkness and rescuing LB, the crew and the ship and to terminate "with extreme prejudice" the pirates. LB provides intelligence on the pirates, particularly their clever and ruthless leader Yusuf Raage. While the mission goes against their ethos which is to save lives, both military and civilian, not take them, LB is one of their own. They are under no illusion that if the rescue attempt fails they must ensure that the freighter does not make it into port - they have one hour to achieve their goal otherwise the US Air Force will blow up the ship sending it, them and the precious cargo to the ocean floor.

I can't say that this was one of the easiest books I have ever read, though the storyline is compelling, with plenty of action, twists and turns and it is obviously very well researched. There are many acronyms and technicalities which, for me, disrupted the flow of the book while I found out what it all meant. I had not heard of the PJ's previously and having "googled" them was amazed at their role - they are, quite simply, heroic individuals. I look forward to reading more of David L Robbins books about this elite unit and hopefully will find the technical aspects and terminology less testing next time round.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cleverly Plotted and Well Written Story, 16 Feb. 2013
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Devil's Waters is an action packed adventure which does not take long to get into its stride, and keeps the reader's interest right the way through. A cargo ship is captured by Somali pirates, and the PJs (Pararescue Jumpers) are sent in to recapture it. This is well outside of their normal field of operation as they are a group who deal with humanitarian missions.

This is an interesting story where nothing is as it seems. There is the mystery as to why everyone is so interested in this particular ship and its cargo, and a fair degree of international diplomatic intrigue with many different groups with their finger in this particular pie. The truth is gradually unravelled as the story progresses, but it is really a case of wheels within wheels with nothing being as it seems.

Initially there is a distinct danger of the reader being drowned in a sea of acronyms, and whilst the torrent eases off there are still plenty of them throughout this book. When I got to the end I discovered a glossary which actually explained what they all meant which was useful as it is not intuitively obvious, for example, what NVGs or an RAMZ are. It would have been even more useful if I had found this at the outset so I would recommend that anyone who is planning to read this book does keep an eye on the glossary as it will add to the story.

Overall this was an enjoyable read which I would recommend. It builds to an exciting climax and I was initially surprised that after things were apparently resolved there were a significant number of pages left. However, there is plenty of interest right to the end as the apparent conundrum is eventually explained. This is a cleverly plotted and well written tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Devil's Waters by David L Robbins, 1 Nov. 2012
V. L. Harding (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
David L Robbins latest book is undoubtedly his best, his research has been thorough and widespread, spending time amongst the forces personnel and in the locations of which he writes.
He tells a topical story of a container vessel, with a top secret cargo, hijacked by Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden and being steered towards Qandala, the pirates village on the Somalia coast line where it will be held for ransom.
A unit of the United States Army Pararescue Service stationed at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, are the closest to the scene and they are tasked by High Command to parachute onto the ship under cover of darkness and if possible rescue the hostage crew and kill the pirates, especially the chief, Yusuf Raage, with extreme prejudice.
Whatever the outcome of the rescue attempt, the ship will not be left under the control of the pirates, it has to be sunk in deep water in order to conceal the nature of the cargo it carries.
The story switches between the group of P-Js,-Pararescue jumpers whose motto is dedicated to saving lives and who are now being ordered to take them. Their close knit relationships and the camaraderie they share are integral to the story. The Somali pirate Yusuf Raage, leader of his small village tribe, existing in a poverty stricken, war-torn, lawless land and seeking to enrich their lives in the only way he knows how.
David Robbins doesn't seek to demonise the pirates, he shows some instances of their lives and their faith, before the hijack brings together the two sets of combatants, fighting for their own individual values.
Well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-researched and well-written, 22 Nov. 2012
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd not heard of David Robbins before, and I have to admit that from the blurb I was expecting some rather disposable gung-ho nonsense - I hasten to add that I was pleasantly surprised!

At first I assumed that Robbins must be ex-Forces, as he writes as if he really knows both the technology and the people, but it turns out he's a professional writer who just does his research really thoroughly, and it certainly pays off. The plot is detailed and credible and he clearly understands what he is writing about. More importantly, he sketches believable characters who aren't stereotypical cardboard cut-outs; there is a degree of depth and character development both among the good guys and the bad guys, which makes a refreshing change for this type of novel. Even his dialogue (a common failing in the techno-thriller genre) is well-written and believable.

The book is perhaps slightly slower-paced than some thrillers, but not to the point that it drags, and it's a thoroughly entertaining read. It reminded me very much of early Tom Clancy - albeit if anything slightly better written - and that's no bad thing. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well paced, entertaining read, 21 Feb. 2013
M. D. Harris (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My initial reaction to this book was "Tom Clancy Lite". I don't mean that as an insult, I've enjoyed many Clancy novels over the years - even if their exhaustive detail can lead to books of intimidating girth.

By comparison Robbins has trimmed back some of the detail and kept to a fairly small number of characters, making for a far more approachable read. The characters and situations are established quickly, efficiently and convincingly while the plot hums along nicely, without ever getting too outlandish or disintegrating into cliché. I never found it to be truly surprising - but it was never dull either.

Criticisms? Well I did find the characters a little two dimensional and lacking personality, which prevented me from engaging with them completely (and it's this that loses it a star), they always felt like characters, rather than real people. But it was for the most part even handed in it's portrayal of those in the story and I never got bored. Overall, good but not amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 22 Dec. 2013
A good read, although the PJ crew could've been any SF soldiers for the most part.
I was quite pleased to see the Somalian pirates being made to look human.
"I'm a massive Special Forces fan and this guy is up there with Andy Mcnabb, Conrad Jones and Stephen leather."