5.0 out of 5 stars Insights abound - for both U2's music and the gospel, 3 Mar 2008
Mark Meynell "quaesitor" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I couldn't put this book down. Am a self-confessed U2 nut (which of course renders all comments entirely and gloriously partial), but also someone who is passionate about theology and truth. This book provides plenty of insights into both. Particularly helpful was Scharen's analysis of U2's theological worldview in terms of Luther's Theology of the Cross. This seemed to me pretty convincing - especially because it chimes so closely with Bono's frequent rejection of the hypocrisies of Christian 'religion' and the latter's assumption that we can have unwavering certainties about everything (without embracing or engaging with the pain, doubts and questions that we find in OT wisdom literature like the Psalms and Ecclesiastes).

Full of research - Scharen is thorough in background study, including hundreds of sometimes obscure interviews with Bono and other members of the band - this is a really good book to stretch the mind and warm the heart. I'd even suggest that it is the sort of book that one could confidently lend to a thoughtful non-believing U2 fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using U2 to share thoughts about God, 29 Jun 2013
This is a great read for people who have an interest in God and U2.
He writes about different topics in each chapter.
I found it a very inspiring read.
I find the spirituality of U2 very grounded and real, it's something I aspire to.