The Advent of the Kindle introduced me to Science fiction, a genre that previously I had no taste for , and yet I now keep discovering these hidden gems on the kindle bookshelf and return repeatedly for more. This is undoubtedly one of those gems.

Published 12 months ago by Jaye Richards-Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars News from the future
Published 13 months ago by Adina Luca

3.0 out of 5 stars News from the future, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Ripple in Space-Time: Free City Book 1 (The Free City Series) (Kindle Edition)
This is a creative novel in many ways. Chapman develops the space and time background of the account through press releases, which link their past (our present) with their present (our future). If it sounds confusing, that is because we are in 2445 and, contrary to what we may hope today, the future will drive us to wars left, right and centre. The world will have changed by then.

And the geographical references have changed. You have the Free City - location undisclosed - Dublin is a slump full of bad pubs and the criminals reside in some outerspaces. You can place the Free City anywhere you wish, but don't count on New York as it was destroyed by one of the two AmeroAsian wars.

Slightly formulaic at times - the baddies are baddies and we know who the heroes are from page one - it is nevertheless entertaining. I did fall for space cop Ryo, but then I was expected to. He is the hero. This is what happens when you throw together complicated physics, a womanising boy, a science-expert mother in distress and lots of badly smelling pirates.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile leap for non Sci-Fi readers and a reward for those who love the genre, 18 Oct 2013

The idea that this is what the world will look like in the not too distant future is quite sobering, and yet the characters are as human as we are today. The sense of humour, a sense of ambition, and the essence of politics become ageless in this novel, where I became acutely aware that not only will human nature not change in the future, but little has probably changed since the past. The idea that newspaper articles will still exist in a few hundred years time, provided a familiar connection between the world we live in and the world our future generations will live in.

Chapman has expertly taken what we know and are familiar with into the future and constructed a story with believable characters and a believable future view. While this is essentially a sci-fi story it blends well with the humor, suspense and historic type narrative that appeals to a larger base of readers. I would recommend this read even to those who shy away from stories that delve into the future. Its definitely a worthwhile leap for newbies to this type of writing and reward to the die hards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighthearted & Entertaining, 30 Aug 2013
This easy reading sci-fi book is based 400 years in the future. The story opens with a news report about the researcher Jana Fesai and how she has died in an unexplained blast which has obliterated the Lunar Ultra Energy Research Laboratory.
The story then follows the quest for the truth behind the blast which introduces the main characters - Ryo Trop, Lev Fesai (son of Jana) and Keira Norton.
The book has a lot of humorous content and the dialogues and observations are well written and witty which ensures that the book is an entertaining read. The author has said that he enjoyed writing this book and I think that this reflects in the story.
I liked the way that there were news reports recorded throughout the book which gave the reader additional information on the background of how the world worked 400 years in the future.
I found this to be a lighthearted entertaining novel and would be pleased to see at least one sequel to find out how the characters developed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 23 Sep 2013
I'm not usually one for reading sci-fi despite watching a fair bit n TV. So I wasn't sure I was going to like this book but I did. The plot was good, clever and believable concepts of what the future world and technology would be like. The only thing that I felt let the book down a little was I would have liked to have got to know the main characters more, it was a little too on the surface for my tastes. Still a good read though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good new sci-fi, 6 Sep 2013
I was pleasantly surprised by 'The Ripple in Space-Time', a detective story set in a noir, urban future.

The events of the book, which is composed of short, punchy chapters, take place in the year 2445. The premise is that an immense structure on Luna has been destroyed in an explosion that killed hundreds of people, including a brilliant quantum physics researcher. Ryo Trop of the Free City Inquisitor's Office, respected for its impartiality amidst Earth's autocratic politics, is obliged to investigate. Trop is an ethical Taoist, and conscious of his advancing age. That makes him a little unusual by the standards of sci-fi heroes, but his interesting personality adds flavour to the story. Many of the secondary characters, which range from daredevil space pirates to despotic Tsar-warlords and slave girls, are also memorable.

I finished 'The Ripple in Space-Time' over a weekend, and would recommend it as light reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid entertainment, 5 Sep 2013
In his introduction to this novel, the author writes that he imagined Rutger Hauer in the role of super-villain, and perhaps Bruce Willis as the greying protagonist Ryo Trop. Chapman's writing does indeed bring to mind these personalities, and the pessimistic, gritty futurism of such science fiction classics as "Blade Runner". Fans of that type of genre film should definitely add "The Ripple in Space-Time" to their reading lists.

Ryo Trop is a 25th-century detective, asked to investigate the destruction of an cutting-edge energy research laboratory on the moon. Although it seems innocuous at first sight, it soon becomes apparent that this assignment has propelled Ryo into a world of danger. The novel's most interesting feature is that several chapters take the form of fictional, futuristic news bulletins. A similar technique was used by Vernor Vinge in "A Fire Upon The Deep"--I find it immersive, and it creates interesting changes of pace. The story builds to a thrilling climax that left me wanting to read more; I guess I'll have to search for some of Chapman's other books.