Format: DVD|Change

on 12 July 2013
A very long time coming for a real classic film which in reality caught the mood and meaning of the time, almost as a snap-shot!
on 15 December 2013
As I come from Bristol this really is a 'must have'..and hearing it was now available as an 'official release' I decided to get a copy..In the past Ive only managed to view the 'boot leg' version thats been circulating for some years now..so was pleasantly suprised to see the wonderful colour in this version.
Interestingly If you are reading this having only seen the 'boot leg' version, you might be suprised to learn that this has a whole new part to the story which I assume was edited out of the version shown on TV because of time restraints...I wont ruin it for you..but in this official release Angela Douglas has a much bigger part and mimes to several more songs.
Having said all that the film becomes somewhat longer and dare I say slightly tedious..but maybe thats because ive seen it so many times..It sort of gets played if any Bristolians pop in for tea...as 'spot the location' seems to be quite a pass time here in Bristol...
on 12 July 2013
Third time lucky to get a fine clear copy of this film with decent soundtrack. This film gives a great feel of the times it was made in and bonus is, that with a familiar cast, it was made in the Bristol I knew. (I was from Bath and often came in by the 33 bus seen in the film).
on 11 June 2013
This film is by no means a classic but it is required viewing of Bristolians of a certain age or even younger if the wish to see how our great city was in the 60's, the view of the Brab. Hanger will bring joy to any aircraft buff.
on 12 August 2014
Yes, it's representative of the early 60s with absolutely no swearing, totally innocent fun apart from the motorcyle accident where they were all found guilty and disqualified for a year..... It also shows how much emphasis there was on smoking, as it was considered glamorous and totally harmless in 1960-odd. Of course Kenneth More was playing the learned master with trademark pipe, a la Douglas Bader, keeping the youngsters on the right path. Music is typical authentic early 60s. I may be wrong here, but having grown up in this era myself, I seem to remember a version of "Some People" being sung by Billie Davies (Tell him) and Jet Harris from the Shadows, which charted at the time. Yes, good harmless fun.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2013
It's surprising how long it's taken to get a release on this fairly well known film. Although it's essentially a musical film it has a good story line which is unusual. In fact it's a rather strange mix of real drama and early 60s pop. Some great film of Bristol throughout and more importantly some good rare footage of the Bristol 188 Mach 2 research aircraft which was one of the fastest planes in its day. There can't be much other film of that around. The title song is performed several times and is a typical Les Van Dyke (Johnny Worth) composition. There's another lovely song performed by Pet Clark (not seen) entitled "Too Late" written by Ron Grainer. Very enjoyable, with Kenneth More in fine form.
on 13 July 2013
Yet again another quality purchase and the movie is excellent. I tried some years ago to locate a copy of this film without success .
on 7 July 2014
I bought this film because I am a Bristolian, first & foremost, but, aside from all the wonderful memories it brought back of my hometown that has changed so much over the years, I found myself enjoying the film in it's own right. It is set in the early sixties and is a nice little story. It conveys the wonderful atmosphere of a time I remember as a small boy where, in cafés & pubs, nearly everyone smoked, and the money was so marvellously pre-decimal. Halcyon days!
on 11 June 2014
This was a great film when it was released in the early 60s and I still enjoyed it today. Anneke Wills was one of the best newcomers to the acting community of the 60s and I liked everything she did that I saw. The recording is the best quality sound is great, not muffled like a lot of today's film and TV are. The Eagles were a good group just a pity that they were not around longer. What can you say about Kenneth More a great actor.
on 10 July 2013
Purchased this for a father's day present due too it being filed locally, brillant acting as allways by Kenneth Moore