5.0 out of 5 stars TRANSVISION RE-VAMPED, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pop Art (Re-Presents) (Audio CD)
An album deserving of another release with extras galore.
From the futuristic sounding opener infroming us the rules are there are no rules,blasting into TRASH CITY and onwards,WENDY's sultry vocals are a perfect fit for the music that is all sorts of infulences and originality rolled up into a ball of energy and leaving an impact,making sure we know it was here.
I shall never tire of being a fan of this band and the first 2 albums that have just been re-released is a joy for any TRANSVISION VAMP fan,with the sexy rock 'n' roll voice of WENDY JAMES singing lyrics mostly written by NICK SAYER and the rest of the boys bringing more energy into the mix,it's a blast.
So is it worth getting this if you own the original you may ask,oh yes.
On the end of the fantastic POP ART album you have 4 tracks from a bbc session and then on disc 2,you have the b-sides and mixes a lot of us remember from when we bought the singles years ago. I often found the b-sides better than the song it was backing,they never ripped us off with b-sides,that's for sure.
From the quirky,maybe slightly cheesy but enthusiastic VID KID VAMP to great mixes and the odd but interesting GOD SAVE THE ROYALTIES,all the way to SWEET THING and the equally sweet HONEY HONEY,then onto the rockier LONG LONELY WEEKEND and OH YEAH and the slow and beautiful WALK ON BY. Plus there's a couple more vamped up re-mixes. I am so gratefull this top album has receieved this treatment,with a booklet giving interviews and stuff from back in the day,all loving printed along with some fine photos of WENDY and the boys.
I'm hoping for a dvd release to go with these albums,but this is still gold as far as i'm concerned.
TRANSVISION VAMP,music to my ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop will Eat it's self, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Pop Art (Re-Presents) (Audio CD)
The chances are If you are reading this review, you've probably already have "Pop Art" & are considering whether to fork-out for the expanded version of the record (spoiler alert, it is!). So I will concentrate my review to the extra tracks.

Andy Kershaw BBC Sessions:
Trash City
Andy Warhol's Dead
Sweet Thing
Sex Kick

Stripped down versions of their songs without all the bells & whistles (the 1980s' was not big on subtleness when it came to music production).
Proving that the band could cut the mustard live, & weren't just a manufactured pop act. Appearing on Andy Kershaw's radio show demonstrated the credibility the band had.

Revolution Baby (Electra-Glide mix)
No it u Lover (dub version of Revolution Baby)
God Save the Royalties (backward version of "Tell that Girl.." I think!)
Tell That Girl to shut up (Extended/Knuckle Dust mix)
I Want your love (I don't want your money mix)
Vid Kid Vamp (Remix)
Sister Moon (7'/Extented mix)
Sex Kick (Ciao Portobello)
Sister Moon (Groove on)

These extended/remixed versions of TV songs were used to pad out the 12-inch versions of the singles, interesting enough, but hardly essential listening.

Vid Kid Vamp (B-side of First release of Revolution Baby)
Sweet Thing (B-side of I want you Love)
Evolution Eve - Acoustic/Electric versions (B-side of I want your love 7 & 12 inch)
Honey Honey (B-side of Second release of Revolution Baby)
Long Lost Weekend (B-side of Second release of Revolution Baby)
Oh Yeah (B-side of Sister Moon)
Walk on By (B-side of Sister Moon)

Like the live sessions, these extra songs have a stripped down, simpler quality to them, showing that the band were really serious about constantly improving their song writing, musicianship.

You feel that if TV had been a little cult band, with no hits, or if Wendy James hadn't been constantly splashed over all the pop mags or tabloid newspapers, they would have become an extremely highly regarded act.
Anyway "Pop Art" is an outstanding debut record, what I could not recommend more.

5.0 out of 5 stars retro, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pop Art (Re-Presents) (Audio CD)
transvision vamp have to be one of the best bands ever to come out of the 80s.wendy james was just awsome.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy re-release, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Pop Art (Re-Presents) (Audio CD)
Having bought this on CD "back in the day" I was pleased to finally see the TvV output being given the Special Edition treatment.

What we find on this release is a cleaned up (though not noticeably different) version of the original album on CD 1, with a few BBC Session tracks put on there, which are eye-opening, and I'd never heard before.

It's CD 2 that really gets my votes though, the wonderfully manic mixes of Tell That Girl to Shut Up being a welcome addition to the Wendy James portfolio. I've always loved the "Ciao Portobello" version of Sex Kick, and used to use that on test discs for stereo systems, again, back in the day.

As to the mastering, as I said, disc 1 seems pretty much as the original, but I was particularly grateful for the extra punch afforded Revolution Baby (Electra Glide Mix) on CD2, and Long Lonely Weekend has never sounded so good.

The sleeve notes, and pics are extremely informative and give a good level of detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars TVs music is just as great as I remember it and the bonus CD is ..., 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Pop Art (Re-Presents) (Audio CD)
I bought this for trip down memory lane and the mad crush I had on Wendy James back then. TVs music is just as great as I remember it and the bonus CD is worth the extra money.

Pop Art (Re-Presents)
Pop Art (Re-Presents) by Transvision Vamp (Audio CD - 2013)