4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera
Published 10 months ago by The Goat

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound Issues?
I loved this camera as soon as I got it out of the box. Looks great, it's small, has lots of functions (I don't use most of them though - that's what my SLR is for), and picture quality is great.

Published 4 months ago by Jolly D

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Canon IXUS 255 HS Digital Camera - Silver (12.1MP, Wi-Fi, GPS, 10x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (Electronics)
A return to using digital Ixus after about 4 years and it really has made some improvements. It is the same size and weight, but the optical and digital zooms are so much improved. It really takes great pictures - streets ahead of my old camera and my iphone. The anti shake thing when you're photographing close up macro stuff seems very useful. The battery life isn't brilliant so I'd recommend a second battery if you're going on holiday - one can recharge in the room while you're snapping away with the other. It also accepts standard size SD cards, which is better than the micro ones in last year's model. At around 200 this is a great little camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Quality, 12 May 2013
Tony Fisher (Bearsted, Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great camera with first class picture quality. I bought it because, although my Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR is a great camera, it doesn’t exactly fit in my pocket when I don’t want to carry a big camera about. I was worried that the Canon IXUS would not keep up with the Fujifilm but I was wrong.
The IXUS255HS is amazingly slim and fits easily in a pocket. The image screen is superb high definition. The camera has a quick response time and the Auto Mode works in almost any conditions. I can see why Computer Shopper gave it a Best Buy award.

The menu takes a bit of getting used to; but that’s often the way with very small cameras. The only downside is that it is impossible, in any mode, to set the aperture or shutter speed. However, one can tweak it by changing the ISO. Even ISO 1600 has very little grain in the end result. In the end, I found that leaving everything on Auto worked fine. Download the manual from Canon before you buy to see all its other Bells and Whistles.

I am delighted with the camera and thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera for the price, 5 Oct 2013
Auto focus works really well. I used this on a recent holiday and got some pretty decent photos from moving vehicles taken through the windows. For indoor low light it also worked pretty well and captured more of the atmosphere (As opposed to having to use the flash). The battery lasted for about 400ish photos before I felt the need to top it up. Only had the camera for a month now so not entirely sure about the WiFi side I downloaded the Ipad app which was easy to set up and appears to be mainly for the transfer of images. I attempted to use it briefly but the WiFI seems to be power hog on the battery so if you plan to use this feature then make sure you have the charger to hand. In summing up though I am really pleased with the quality of the photos and ease of use and for a compact point and shoot it does a pretty good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ixus Yet!, 6 Nov 2013
I've owned 3 Canon Ixus cameras and this is the best so far: smaller, lighter and easier to use. The "soft-touch" buttons are much better than the old ones were. The flat battery means I can keep a spare in the case with it and the separate charger means I can continue to use the camera while one of the batteries is being recharged. It's not very different in size from a smartphone - just a bit thicker - so it slips into a pocket easily. The wi-fi is easy to set up, and allows pictures to be transferred to a laptop, phone or tablet very quickly and easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Aug 2013
J. Lane - See all my reviews
Lovely camera, zoom is brilliant, easy to use, fits into your bag for travelling. Haver found no negatives yet. Which the manual was included in the package and the memory card had been included, still a lovely camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and great pics., 28 Sep 2013
Like the light weight; easy to negotiate the menu and functions, Haven't downloaded or printed yet but the images look good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little camera, 20 Sep 2013
Highly recommend this little camera.....really pleased with it. I just wanted a compact camera that was easy to use and good quality...this fits the bill perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Ixus 255 HS performance, 17 Jun 2013
Takes really good quality images and is easy to use as well as being light weight and very easy to carry in your pocket. Its a pity that no pretecting case is supplied as part of the product package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little camera that you can point and press, 20 Sep 2013
N. Edwards - See all my reviews
Fantastic little camera that you can point and press
Very easy to use. Very responsive.
Robust and takes a great shot!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound Issues?, 9 Dec 2013

However, the main reason I bought it is for the 1080P HD video function - and this is where it appears to have a fault. I have recorded several short music clips - two of bands (one in a pub, one in a small concert venue) plus an organist playing in a large cathedral. In every case, when I play back the video (either in camera or on my PC) there is a lot of noise distortion when the music reaches high volume. Yet I wouldn't say the music was particularly loud when I actually recorded it.

It's almost as if the recording level is set too high - but I can't find a way to reduce it. There is an optional wind filter setting, but the instructions say this may result in odd sound if used when it isn't windy.

I contacted Canon for advice, and they suggested making sure I had the latest software installed on my PC. I have done this, but I think the problem is within the camera itself. There doesn't appear to be a firmware update available.

If it was possible, I'd probably give the camera 3.5 rather than 4, but have decided to be generous!

Update 15 December 2013:

Sadly I have now discovered what appears to be a design flaw with this camera. One corner of the flash unit is tucked in behind the lens surround. Having taken a lot of flash photos last night (the exposure of which was a bit iffy) I noticed that a small shadow is cast in one corner where the flash is obstructed by the lens.

Combining these factors with the sound distortion when videoing, I have downgraded my original review to two stars. Disappointing, as I have always been a fan of Canon equipment, but they seem to have dropped the ball on this one!

ARRAY(0xb59c20c0)