on 5 December 2013
Brought this at a bargain £120 so this has some bearing on my review, the Nikon coolpix l820 's value for money. I'm a fairly competent amature/semi pro photographer using both film and dslr 's but was looking for a cheap, lightweight camera for traveling (cycle tours) and just a handy point and shoot. After a little research I found the nikon coolpix l820 at a bargain price and seams to suit my needs suitable for landscape, wildlife and family shots on the go. My main quality I'm looking for is of course good picture quality; sharp, detailed, well reproduced colour, white balance and ideally good in low light. Here I doubt you'll do much better for your money, with the large backlight 16mplxl cmos sensor (as apposed to cheaper ccd sensor found on most compacts and cheaper Bridge cameras in this price range ) and nikon optics and processing, the l820 produces great, clear photos with very good colour and white balancing. On top of this it boasts an equivalent 22.5mm-675mm zoom lens. On wide angle you will get some aberration and distribution as you'd expect the and a little loss of detail at full zoom, but again for your money and what your asking of a lense this is impressive. The camera comes with lots of preset functions with some control of exposure level, it also comes with a full 1080 hd video, which is comparable in quality to a similarly priced dedicated video camera, although there is some lag in the auto focus. To use, the camera is great ergonomically, simple straightforward intuitive controls with a fast shutter reaction (hardly any lag in good light with a quick A/F) and a good flash considering. It looks nice coming in a colour of your choice (if that's your thing) however, and this is probably my biggest criticism, it does feel a bit light a flimsily built

On the downside is there are no manual controls, not even aperture or shutter priority, and have to rely on either the 'easy auto' function or auto with a selected scene. Furthermore the nikon l820 doesn't boast any other file formats like RAW. That being said this camera isn't being sold as a dslr neither is it a full Bridge as I'd define it so I'm not going to review it as such. If you want a camera for this or to learn the more technical sides to photography look elsewhere. Another feature which some might not appreciate is the fact it runs on AA batteries not a lithium , for my purposes this is actually a great advantage as it suits it's main purpose as a travel cam and have found with quality rechargeable batteries I'm taking some 600 shots which is impressive for any camera without a viewfinder a challenge anyone to find a lithium battery that can compete with that.

To conclude if you want a camera suitable for nearly every photo scene you might reasonably need which is inexpensive, practical and essentially produces near DSLR quality images the Nikon coolpix l820 is an excellent choice. A cheap and cheerful point and shoot, capable of quite serious images!
on 2 April 2014
I don't know much about camera but this one is perfect for me. High quality of photos but sometimes it's a bit blur when I tried to focus on face. Modern model.
on 28 August 2013
I looked around, amazon dont offer too much information my fault though for not checking, the camera has normal batteries, even though they have lasted some time, you could get causght out so you have to carry additional luggage to carry the batteries, also difficult to get at the card, its simple but you have to put additional stress on the pop out cover to get access due to the batteries have that spring loaded thingy bob
on 18 January 2015
Fabulous little camera and ideal for most situations ... Was a tad miffed to find the next upgrade available at Argos for less than £110 but these things happen ... the pre-sets are really effective too .... Great pictures and Highly recommended ....
on 27 August 2014
Have had this camera over a year and it seems to take very nice sharp pictures.
It has a very good zoom and flash.
Can also take around 30 min video clips in HD to though the zoom can be heard in the video. And seems quite stable when moving around.
Camera is quite big and heavy so does not fit in my pocket like my other panasonic hc-v700 though and does use 4X AA batteries but they do seem to last a few hours which is longer than my older Canon Sx130.
The price of £120 seems not to bad which I paid for it.
Also its worth getting a case for as not to get marks or knocked around which will help keep it nicer.
on 3 October 2014
Camera is great really high quality pictures. Easy to use and lightweight. Only disappointment was that batteries that came with it were leaking battery acid. Contacted seller and had no response!
on 12 June 2013
Great Camera we are still learning what it can actually do, well worth the money, hopefully we will have this for a few years
on 21 October 2014
Good clear pictures easy to use
on 27 December 2013
Got this for Xmas. Great little camera and very easy to use for an amateur like me. Bought an SD card, so heading off to the beach now to practise!!
on 30 November 2014