5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy with so many gadgets!
It is a great camera, feels very sturdy and is easy to hold as it is fairly light i felt. It takes great video quality. I bought this after my Nikon D90 as an additional one and i have yet to try the underwater deeper than my sink but it works :) great little camera to have in all weather and takes good quality photos. Iphone app works as well as a remote.
controls...
Published 16 months ago by Andrew

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera but not 100% waterproof!
Takes great pictures and videos, easy to use, simple menus (typical Nikon). The battery cover mechanism is really well designed and sturdy (compared to other waterproof cameras). Large, high resolution and bright screen. Couldn't ask for more... except....

Published 13 months ago by mybeautifulshack

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera but not 100% waterproof!, 22 May 2013

It's sold as a rugged, waterproof camera but on the second day of use I found water drops behind the lens (i.e. inside the camera body, so not cleanable). These appeared on (and ruined) a number of otherwise excellent shots. Further, there was so much condensation on the inside of the back screen that I couldn't even see what I was pointing at - it made taking pictures impossible. Not sure if this was just one badly made unit, or if the whole range is faulty - interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue.

(I have returned the product)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy with so many gadgets!, 15 Mar 2013
controls are a little bit small for changing zoom but the other controls are good including the movement sensor controls in one of the selection menus.

3.0 out of 5 stars Autofocus and white balance a bit iffy, can't believe there is no lens cap, 16 Aug 2013
I am a dedicated DSLR fan and hate fiddly little instamatics so bear this in mind. I have spent about 4 hours doing various test shots and testing the Nikon App that allows you to control the camera with your Ipad/Iphone. Most of my criticisms are generic to instamatic cameras - poor battery life, fiddly menu controls etc but ignoring these and focusing on the product itself my main criticisms are:

1) I found the camera autofocus a bit hit and miss, particularly in poor light. On many occasions, after the half click on the shutter button, the camera was telling me that the shot was in focus when clearly it was not. This is very disappointing. If this problem persists, I will send the camera back.

2) Auto white balance also produces some weird results, again particularly in low light.

3) There is no lens cap. Scratches to the lens surface are inevitable particularly as this is marketed as a outdoor sand water and grit device. My advice is buy a cheap camera pouch and keep your camera in there when it is not being used. Carrying it around all day exposed to day to day knocks is a recipe for a short lens life.

It is useful, especially on holiday, to be able to wirelessly transfer your photos to your tablet/iPhone and (after downloading Nikons wireless Mobile Utility App). Some people have had problems with this but it worked fine for me - it is a bit clunky as each time you want to do this you have to turn on the camera's wireless function and then switch your device's network to the camera's network - there does not seem to be a continuous sync function - I guess this would run the battery down too quickly.

All in all, the product is satisfactory but, unless the wireless function is important to you, i would suggest getting an older waterproof/shockproof camera model for a quarter of the price

Update - 2 weeks after initial review

I tested this item thoroughly whilst on holiday that centered around water theme parks - it was great to have a camera that you could take anywhere with you. The sport mode is particularly impressive shooting a 6 frame per second burst with excellent focusing and exposure accuracy. But beware - in sport mode, the camera is continually focusing even when you are not using it so you will get through a battery in about an hour - you need at least one spare battery if you plan to use this sport function for action shots.

Finally - after 2 weeks, the screen stopped working and stayed dark unless I was in video mode. This rendered the camera useless and it had to be returned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wifi is awesome, 25 April 2013
Don't listen to the one star review above. As with all electronic kit when making a decent investment you should do your research. There's an app in the apple App Store for Nikon. Down load it, link you phone to the Nikon wifi and then open the app. You can then transfer the photos from the camera to your phone or iPad and you can also remotely control the camera to take photos (the same way as the panasonic lumix ft5 has been heavily promoting) by actually seeing what the camera sees on your phones screen.

The camera is waterproof, you've just got to give it a really good rinse under cold water and make sure it is completely dry before you open it to take the memory card out or charge the battery.

The inside of the lense fogged up on me once, and I realised I'd tried to blow some dust out of the battery compartment in an air condition room, so a little later the humidity of my breath had condensed on the inside of the lense. All you have to do is open the battery door in a safe dust/moisture free place and leave for a short while to dry out.

I really wanted the panasonic, but its more expensive, only has a 4.6x zoom compared to 5x zoom and only goes 12m underwater whereas the Nikon does 18m which to me says less chance of leaking in any situation.

The photos ate awesome and the video particularly messing around in a pool is so much fun and high quality.

My only issue is the white print on a couple of the buttons play (▶),OK & MENU has started to wear off after the first week? But a great first week on holiday with 700 photos and 50 videos taken its been heavily used, plus I know what the buttons do now anyway.

BUY THIS CAMERA!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Expectations cruely dashed, 9 Sep 2013
S. Warn "wookeywarn" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to upgrade from my existing Sony waterproof camera that I simply love and has served me well for many years. The appeal of this one for me is that it has higher MP than my current, can go deeper and crucially I LOVE the wifi option. Oh how my anticipation grew as I ordered this just 2 days before I popped off on my summer holiday. It arrived in time (thanks Amazon)and I duly popped it in my bag to the airport.

Having used Sony cameras for many years I did have to look up some of the functions in the online user guide as I was not familiar with the Nikon menu structure. Its also not touch screen which I am also used to and I found the little buttons on this model a bit fiddly.

Sadly, almost immediately I started using it I was faced with the much talked about condensation issue. And, yes, it does mention it might happen in certain circumstances but after using it for 2 weeks I wanted to let it plummet to the bottom of the ocean, never to return.

If I had it in my hand for half an hour and used it = condensation.
If I took it out of my handbag which had been by my chair for hours = condensation.
If it got splashed by the kids on a pedelo = condensation.
If I stepped outside = condensation
Sometimes I wasn't anywhere near water = condensation.

I think you get the jist? Was I in a tropical rainforest, no, just Zante, temp was low to mid 30's. It started with condensation on the lens but progressed to condensation on the viewing screen. Yes, it does clear pretty quickly but that's little comfort when you have a foggy patch over the face of your 7 year old coming down a waterslide. I had my little Sony for years and has tackled hotter and wetter places than this and I never had condensation once.

On the plus side, the pictures are superb quality and the wifi is awesome (photo to Facebook in minutes!) - I will be hard placed to find a model which can give me quality AND wifi! I'm not actually sure it uses wifi - I thought it must be more like Bluetooth because I could connect to it even when my phone was not connected to wifi.

Anyway, I have pondered it since my return and I have decided to return it for a refund. My first dabble with Nikon has not been a positive one and I want a camera that I can take out of my bag and shoot IMMEDIATELY, rather than "Hang on darling whilst I wait for the mist to clear and you can go again". Disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nikon AW110 Not waterproof, 7 Jan 2014
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY ONE. I am a keen photographer and have owned several other Nikon products in the past.

As we were going to Maldives for a holiday I thought I'd get a waterproof compact to take snorkelling, rather than a full housing for the DSLR. I read the reviews and my wife bought it in November as an early Christmas present, plenty of time to get used to it. Some of the reviews said it had leaked, but I chose to ignore. Wish I hadn't. There is definitely a fault with the design.

Before the Maldives, I used it to take some fun panoramas, human and pet portraits, some in low light, mostly turning out very well. I also tried out the wireless facility with the ipad, which was a bit patchy and to me more of a gimmick than of any use. It had been a factor in the decision to buy but was not worth the extra over comparable models. The GPS worked well in India for a week before arrival in the Maldives, and gave a good log of our tour in Kerala.

Then we got to Maldives, and first time in the water, I managed to take around 10 photos before it leaked and died completely, never to recover. Ruined holiday, never another opportunity to do the same.

I took it back to PC WORLD and surprise surprise they refused to refund my money as it was more than 3 weeks post purchase. They sent off to NIKON for "repair or replacement". I don't want it repaired or replaced. I can never have confidence in this product again, because the design is faulty. The same is likely to happen next time it hits the water. It was guaranteed to 18m, (nearly 2 atmospheres) and failed in chest deep water. So, I repeat DONT BUY ONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars good battery life and works under water and is shockprof, 26 Nov 2013
One clever camera

If it wasn't enough that the camera takes bright, clear pictures even in low light, has full HD video capability, 180 and 360 panoramic modes and a whole slew of scene presets, a bright rear screen, good battery life and works under water and is shockprof, Nikon thought you might like to use it as a GPS as well, or maybe control the camera by remote control from your iPhone, iPad or even iPod Touch.

Yes, you read that right - the camera has full (detailed) world maps and a GPS, altimeter and compass for really very accurate geo-tagging and browsing of your photo locations and you can even use it as a map at a pinch. And when you enable WiFi you can connect to it as though it were an access point, fire up the app and see what the camera sees, zoom in and out, take pictures or record video and ensure that you are in every photo (even if you ARE looking at your phone instead of at the camera!!).

Battery life is good but not stupendous (especially if browsing the maps or using the WiFi) so a second battery is a sensible thing to take away with you if you don't fancy hauling the charger around. Batyteries are charged out of the camera and the USB cable doesn't charge or power the camera so do bear that in mind. But otherwise this is a smashing little camera - fast, high quality, easy to use and very portable. Oh, and the 1cm macro is AMAZING.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for any holiday..!!, 25 Sep 2013
So easy to use and left my family and I with fantastic memories of our holiday. the instructions are very easy to follow and even under water the images are clear.!! A little nervous at first, its not natural to take a camera in water let alone under it, but after the first few trials my confidence and photos got better. I would recommend, that if your taking photos while snorkeling in the sea, when you come out to rinse off in fresh water to remove the salt. Also if your going into the water for the first time after being out in the sun, let your camera adjust to the water temperature for around 5 minutes as the lens seem's to steam up a little but nothing to worry about it will clear..!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, 22 May 2013
This is a great camera. Underwater pictures are really clear. Low levels of light slow auto focus down and can give blurred images.
Buttons and features:

Wifi allows you use an app from your ipad or Android phone to view pictures and take pictures, it does not let you download video, pictures are fine.

Gps tagging its okay...I don't see a great deal of benefit in it.

Buttons are small and difficult underwater.

Got down to about 4 meters no issues. Just wait till the camera is dry and sand free before opening the battery compartment to ensure nothing gets in.

5 stars from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting Photos Where Others Cannot, 2 Jun 2014
I purchased this via Amazon Outlet for a really good price just before I went on holiday to Corfu for a week. I'd planned quite a few swimming pool and sea swimming fun with the family - despite the cold water - and did some basic research on waterproof cameras. The Nikon AW110 had mixed reviews but the key thing to remember is that all these type of cameras will not produce stunning results like other compacts or SLRs because of the lens design. The reviews on Amazon have been quite negative but I've had few problems - most issues you can work around. First of all you need lots of sunshine as the lens optics are slow - but in Corfu in May there's plenty. Then you need to read the instructions about the waterproofing - I know this is dull but does ensure you'll get few problems. People seem to complain about condensation and that's what happened to me as well but it's not a surprise. Camera is in bag, then sits by the pool in the sun, and takes a dip in the cool water - and bingo you get condensation. And if you carry on taking photos they will all be spoilt. As the instructions say all you need to do is let the camera dry out for a while and the problem vanishes. Also getting water droplets on the lens is highly likely so make sure you take loads of pictures. Photo quality is good whilst not outstanding, and with a bit of effort you can capture some great memories which you couldn't do any other way. Movie mode is also good - my son enjoyed jumping and diving into the pool whilst holding the camera. A note of caution though - this camera will not float and although shockproof will not enjoy being deliberately thrown about and wrecked. I've really enjoyed this camera and leave it in my bag now as you can even use it in the rain - something I couldn't do with my other cameras.