on 23 June 2013
Really pleased with the Nikon S9500. Close up photos are excellent. The zoom works brilliantly. Can't fault the picture quality. Highly recommended
on 7 September 2013
I had been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 for a long time and wanted something like that again, i.e. big optical zoom, small and easy use. I.e. just a camera I can carry with me all the time and use as a visual note keeper. I was surprised that the Nikon was cheaper than the corresponding new Lumix model and decided to give it a try. Just bought it before a big trip to the US, and it proved itself wonderfully.
Made about 2500 photos in two weeks and even dropped it in the sands of Death Valley without any problem (I guess it did help that the camera was switched off at the time, I reckon the objective is a bit vulnerable when fully extended).
When there is enough light the autofocus and the jitter correction work perfectly. I even took snapshots from the driving car with one hand which turned out crisp and perfect in focus.
Light can be a problem though. If it is dark the autofocus can go on strike (or rather in endless search mode) and basically allow not even a slightly out of focus picture but only totally blurred pics.
The zoom is amazing managed to shoot nice pics of tiny chipmunks and birds from 30 yards away.
Only thing that managed to annoy me is the battery display. I guess it's ok when one knows what to expect. But I expected it to be an indication of how much battery is left, i.e. when it shows full to be basically still full and when it shows half full to still have half the time available. Instead it seemed to show full for a long time and then half full only shortly before it then shutdown with the message that the battery was exhausted. Which, five minutes before a brilliant sunset is slightly infuriating.
The flash is funny because it jumps up from a place where it feels quite natural to have a finger when holding the camera. I am rarely using the flash anyway though, I suppose people who do, will get used to holding it differently.
Overall, very happy with having chosen the Coolpix S9500!
on 2 February 2014
Wide range of point and shoot features in a compact camera. Simple to operate, but some advanced features in the package.

Bought for the GPS logging and tagging feature. Ideal camera to take on a walk, not only will it tag photographs with location and direction, it can also be configured to log the entire walk to file.

The WiFi feature is a great way to control the camera to get a group photo, or simple transfer images to a smart phone for posting on Flickr or Facebook.
on 17 December 2013
I bought this camera to carry around with me most of the time and have so far found it very easy to use with excellent picture quality. In dim lighting conditions without flash the results are fantastic.
I've still yet to get to grips with some of the more detailed functionality and getting it to link to our wireless network at home is proving a challenge but as far as the quality of the camera and its results, cannot fault it.

I would certainly recommend it to anyone that is looking for an easy to use, always ready camera that produces superb photos.
on 23 January 2014
Deliberated long and hard over which compact to buy for the family, so glad I opted for this in the end, great build quality, brilliant image resolution and just enough bells and whistles to make a pleasure to use.
on 29 July 2013
A camera has to be small or I won't take it with me. Up until now the drawback has been the lack of zoom on compacts. I compared a bridge camera with a x30 zoom to this compact with x22 zoom. There is absolutely no contest, you get plenty of zoom for most situations but still in a very compact camera. Highly recommended for anyone who doesn't want a bulky camera around their neck.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 September 2014
Looked at lots of different cameras, but settled on the CoolPix S9500 as it seemed to fit all my requirements - GPS, good optical zoom and good picture quality.

Unboxing it, everything is packed in tight but it's quickly opened and set up. Bit surprised to find no external power charger in the box, but I quickly bought one (£4) as I find it essential (plus USB is too slow to charge).

In use, the camera is excellent. The images are generally sharp and in focus and it's easy to shoot video (in full 1080p HD) or take a photo quickly due to the logical placing of buttons - likewise it's easy to swap picture modes. I found the physical controls easy to use and well placed - I also like the fact that the flash automatically engages when required. This is something that annoyed me when not present on another camera - it's only a little bugbear but it does make a difference to me.

One area that was a must for me was GPS and this is excellently implemented on the S9500. It can take a minute or two when getting the initial lockon, but it's easy to see when it's locked or not and once it has, it's accurate and quick - although be aware that sometimes it will cache the location data if moving around a lot and leads to the odd error in location (not massive differences).

The WiFi works well enough, and I used it a couple of times as a remote viewfinder on my phone but it's not really something I'll use too much. You can easily upload to Facebook or Twitter, but I prefer to do that the old fashioned way

I used with a class 10 SD card and it worked pretty fast as you'd expect and allowed you to take pictures rapidly. However one issue I noticed (with several cards) was that once it had been in a computer then the camera would frequently freeze. I did some research and found out this was due to the SD card. Quite odd, but the trick was to format the card on the camera once reinserted and that fixed it every time. Annoying at first, especially when not knowing the fix!

The OLED screen is bright, clear and a decent size and makes it easy to frame a shot and see all the various menus. The menus contain the usual settings, but also some of the clever modes such as panorama view (work surprisingly well), blink mode and you can even take 3D shots - be aware you can only view on 3D tv's though!

Despite the fact that there's no power charger supplied and the SD card bug, this is an excellent camera that does everything I wanted and more - the zoom is great, the pictures are vibrant and the GPS works well. It's a leader in it's class in both price and performance and it's something that is used regularly

Highly recommended.
on 3 January 2014
Great camera, was given as Christmas present. Close up photos are clear & crisp. The zoom works brilliantly. The picture quality is among best I've seen in a camera of its size. Highly recommended
on 9 October 2013
The camera seems fine for the money paid. The issue that I have had is with charging the battery. This only seems to work if the battery is completely discharged. I thought at first it was faulty but decided to continue taking pictures (I bought the camera immediately before going on holiday so was unsure what to do about it). On return home and having taken all the pictures that the battery allowed (not as many as I would have expected) the charging worked. To be safe, I have had to buy a spare battery.
on 20 October 2013
My Coolpix S9500 goes everywhere with me - it is small and compact and not so valuable that I am afraid to put it in my pocket when I go on my many mountain climbs. Easy to use and great clarity every time - the edit features I can spend hours on using them when I get back home and review my day and my photos, enhancing and cropping to my hearts content.