5.0 out of 5 stars Superb All In One Camera.
Originally I was going for the Nikon P510 or the Canon SX50.
After checking both in the high street stores, there was not
that much noticeable difference in the zoom of both cameras 50X
compare to 42X for Nikon.
But the main clincher was the vari-angle screen on the Canon
compare to the Nikon screen.
Then the Nikon P520 came on the market...
Published 13 months ago by Raven

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow start up
Quality of photos is excellent, all round good bridge camera but with three let downs. It's very slow from switch on to photo readiness, there's no provision for the addition of filters, the lens cover is easily knocked off, leaving the lens, which is close to the front of the camera, vulnerable to damage
Published 12 months ago by Dee

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb All In One Camera., 9 Mar 2013
Raven - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Originally I was going for the Nikon P510 or the Canon SX50.
After checking both in the high street stores, there was not
that much noticeable difference in the zoom of both cameras 50X
compare to 42X for Nikon.
But the main clincher was the vari-angle screen on the Canon
compare to the Nikon screen.
Then the Nikon P520 came on the market with the vari-angle
screen I wanted with a few extras and cheaper than the Canon.
I am now the proud owner of a Excellent Nikon camera that I hope will
not let me down.
This is my first Nikon and it is small and lightweight, have no problems
with controls etc.
The features are amazing, and most of these have been commented
on in Nikon P510 reviews.
The 3D feature has not been used yet maybe when I have a device that will
display them.
I am more than happy with the quality of my photos especially
with the zoom.
It is early days yet but will update.

Update 31st March

This camera has definitely rejuvenated my enthusiasm in photography.
I seem to take it everywhere, mainly because it so compact and fits
easily in one of my jacket pockets.
One of the first things I got was spare batteries and a separate charger.
Why nikon don't supply one is beyond me, I never like using cameras
for charging. Also I think the nikon batteries should have had a
Higher capacity. My spare ones are and they last longer.
One thing I should mention, is the battery indicator on the camera.
It is not allways right on some occasions, it indicates full battery
then after a couple of frames the camera indicates battery exhausted.
If I am going to do some important shots, I now allways put a fresh
Battery in so I don't get caught out.

I've taken some video clips and found the quality very good on the big
screen. In fact they are better than my Sony digital camcorder.
The camera's auto focussing while panning and zooming in and out was
excellent (digital zoom not used). Must point out that I used a fast
class 10 SD card. Still shots can be taken without interrupting video,
up to 10 can be taken in any video clip longer than 10 seconds. These
are only 2 megapixel, but are sharp considering.

I don't often use GPS as it drains the battery quickly, when activated
it stay on even when the camera switches off. So you have to remember
to deactivate it when you put it away.
The GPS takes a few minutes to locate satellite's, changing from red to
white with signal strength alongside. The points of interest has been
spot on wherever I end up. For those who like to geotag their photos,
this seems to work well.

One of the best features of the the camera is the wireless. To use it
you have to purchase the adapter WU-1a which cost around 46 bit expensive.
Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter
I wanted be able to remotely control camera shutter so I purchased it.
I can honestly say it is brilliant to use.
When you get it you have to download the free app for your device whether
it a mobile or tablet.
I wanted to use my Kindle Fire HD, this was not straight forward as Amazon
did not have the app in their store. To get it on my Kindle I had to
sideload it from another app store.
The WU-1a is plug into the mini sub port on side of camera, by the way it
is very small. It does comes with a small case you can attach to your
camera strap for safe keeping.
Switch camera on, then search WiFi on the kindle and connect to nikon
wireless adaptor. Then open nikon app, and on the screen is the cameras
view. On the screen the image is large and clear.
There is a button for activating cameras shutter.
Also a W and T button for zooming in and out remotely.
There also a camera battery indicator shown in percentages.
When you press the button to activate camera, the photo is loaded on camera.
It will then load on your kindle, for viewing.
The loading on Kindle is optional.
The wireless adapter has a range of 15 metres, depending on conditions
This is a fantastic feature with many uses.

That is it for now hope you find review useful

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 10 April 2013
I was looking for the best in class of the bridge cameras following a disappointment with another brand. This fulfills all my expectations and could even take the place of my DSLR which is much bigger and heavier to carry around. Well recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 3 Nov 2013
L. Green (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix P520 Camera - Dark Silver (18.1MP, 42xZoom, 24mm Wide Lens) 3.2 inch LCD (Electronics)
Great for street photography and short video clips. Just took this to New York and it performed well with reasonable wide angle, super zoom and fun effects including cross process and sepia. I teach photography and give this a thumbs up as did well, not as good as a DSLR kit but didn't weigh me down and was quick to hand. Super!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera, 11 Nov 2013
This light weigh camera has the most amazing zoom ever. It takes incredible photos with little effort. It handles dull light and is the perfect camera for the person who wants to take good photos without being a trained photographer. Quite amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking of buying a heavy bulky DSLR and a bag of lenses..., 10 Oct 2013
I was, until I really challenged what I wanted my camera for...

Car club photography, friends and family snapshots, holidays, days out, the occasional airshow...pretty typical usage I guess?
In the past, I had always enjoyed my photography with a 35mm SLR and a few lenses and achieved some decent results and even joined a camera club.

Like you are probably thinking, I thought I should buy a DSLR and pick-up where I left off with my 35mm? The only question was do I buy a Nikon or a Canon?

My family members are all Nikon fans (and I guess they do probably make the best commercial lenses), but really the Nikon/Canon choice is mostly down to personal preference and I am not writing on this subject today!

A couple of friends had purchase "bridge" cameras from Nikon, Fuji and Panasonic...all reported some excellent results. Meanwhile my family members with Nikon D200 and D300s were dragging around their bulky DSLR camera systems and I thought...if I get myself a DSLR it will sit in the cupboard because I will either be too lazy to carry it or be afraid it will get stolen!

Fast forward (excuse the pun) and I have, after reading loads of expert reviews, bought the Nikon P520...and I am absolutely delighted with it.

There is a setting for pretty much every eventuality. You can take the camera out of the box and start taking decent photos from day one. The camera is nicely finished, works beautifully smoothly and quickly. I have so far found nothing to dislike about it and have now, after gaining confidence and knowledge of operating the camera, created a few photos that are absolutely outstanding (honest!).

You can take top quality "point and shoot" snaps, or use the camera's features to get creative.

The superb quality foldaway screen (similar quality to a decent Nikon DSLR) is a bonus and the camera protects the screen whilst it is not in use.

The only additional items you will need to buy are a high speed (Class 10) 32GB 45MB/sec SDHC memory card and a Nikon Coolpix P520 camera bag (they cost a bit more because it is the best bag).

4.0 out of 5 stars Just one problem, 11 Feb 2014
Robert Rock (Rockaway, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
Done a lot of research before deciding on this camera. The image quality and the zoom were the deciding factors. I am however amazed that a camera with a 1000mm and a very good 2000mm digital zoom has no means of remotely triggiring the shutter when on the tripod, as it needs to be at those magnifacations. I could of course use the selftimer and ask the bird to hold it there for 2 seconds. Or I could buy that plugin gadget for 45 and the smart phone I don't need for 100 to activate it not forgetting the appropriate app to get things working after the time lapse that accurs between activation and shutter firing with this setup. Good all round bridge camera but do not buy it for serious wildlife shooting. regards

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very Good, 8 Jan 2014
The very first thing I would advise anyone intending to buy the Nikon P520 is to read both the Techradar and Photography Blog reports that are available freely on the internet. I say that because the P520 is quite a different beast from either a Compact or a DSLR and requires individual handling and having to start from scratch again. I have four Nikon Compacts and two Nikon DSLRs so that I am quite familiar with Nikon nowadays.

I bought the P520 for one reason only and that is the quite extraordinary flexibility of its telephoto facility which is, I believe, 24-1000. To equip a DSLR with that sort of superzoom facility would cost several thousand pounds. I got my P520 from Amazon (in a superb dark silver colour) for 260.

Does the superzoom work? It certainly does, even for a rank amateur like I, but it does take time to get used to. I had it with me in Yorkshire over the Christmas period and in Ireland over the New Year period and I can say that the quality of the telephoto facility is beyond what I had expected. A distant grouse in the North York Moors was no problem and neither was a diving gannet in the North Channel.

That said, while I am very impressed with the camera overall, and especially with the quality of print, the camera does have its limitations and irritations. Whenever flash is required, one has to remember to push the flash light button to take effect for every individual session and that can be a bit of a nuisance. Also, the P520 is far less forgiving than a DSLR and any error or movement can all too easily result in a blurred photograph. And, as yet, I have to get to grips with the ISO speeds.

However, what I disliked above everything else was having to charge the battery with the battery still inside the camera. That is a cumbersome business. I read some where that the P520 takes only 200 stills before discharging completely and the Nikon booklet states that a full charge takes 4 hours! A solution had to be found and that was the purchase of a standalone battery charger together with two additional batteries. Without those additions (which are minor in cost), I don't think that I would like the P520 quite so much and quite irrespective of its magnificent zoom facility.

Personally, I still prefer a Nikon DSLR but the P520 is an extremely useful supplement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch bridge camera, 4 Aug 2013
Does exactly what it says on the tin. Having used a Nikon DSLR for the last ten years, it was a great surprise how easy this camera is to use

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Amount of Facility for the Price, 21 Feb 2014
ANDREW MCCANN (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It is some years now, since I last purchased a digital still camera, so it came as a real surprise to find how many features were packed into this particular Nikon, with the inclusion of full HD video and stereo sound recording, too, although in a limited way. (The true video enthusiast would prefer a digital video camera, which is optimized for this purpose.)

The picture quality I found to be very good indeed, especially in a camera of this size and lightness of weight and is a complete contrast to the bulkiness of a DSLR. Consequently it is especially ideal in those kinds of situations in which portable, lightweight equipment is preferred.

Serious still camera users and professionals might well find issues with this Nikon, when compared with their own professional equipment, but for value and facility I, personally, found it hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacing the P510 I have, 3 Jan 2014
Amit Cohen "Amit" (UK) - See all my reviews
Although it seems there are no major changes between the models I was suprised to find some very important ones. The main feature is the increased resolution and swivelling monitor on the back. Very handy to use and adds extra protection to the screen .
Also editing features built in and change of button configuration which makes operation much more user friendly. Nikon has done it again for me!!

ARRAY(0xaa6bbeb8)