5.0 out of 5 stars Superb All In One Camera.
Originally I was going for the Nikon P510 or the Canon SX50.
After checking both in the high street stores, there was not
that much noticeable difference in the zoom of both cameras 50X
compare to 42X for Nikon.
But the main clincher was the vari-angle screen on the Canon
compare to the Nikon screen.
Then the Nikon P520 came on the market...
Published on 9 Mar. 2013 by Raven

3.0 out of 5 stars Gang Warily, Good Points And Bad Points
The very first thing I would advise anyone intending to buy the Nikon P520 is to read both the Techradar and Photography Blog reports that are available freely on the internet. I say that because the P520 is quite a different beast from either a Compact or a DSLR and requires individual handling and having to start from scratch again. I have four Nikon Compacts and two...
Published 16 months ago by Big John

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb All In One Camera., 9 Mar. 2013
Raven - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Originally I was going for the Nikon P510 or the Canon SX50.
After checking both in the high street stores, there was not
that much noticeable difference in the zoom of both cameras 50X
compare to 42X for Nikon.
But the main clincher was the vari-angle screen on the Canon
compare to the Nikon screen.
Then the Nikon P520 came on the market with the vari-angle
screen I wanted with a few extras and cheaper than the Canon.
I am now the proud owner of a Excellent Nikon camera that I hope will
not let me down.
This is my first Nikon and it is small and lightweight, have no problems
with controls etc.
The features are amazing, and most of these have been commented
on in Nikon P510 reviews.
The 3D feature has not been used yet maybe when I have a device that will
display them.
I am more than happy with the quality of my photos especially
with the zoom.
It is early days yet but will update.

Update 31st March

This camera has definitely rejuvenated my enthusiasm in photography.
I seem to take it everywhere, mainly because it so compact and fits
easily in one of my jacket pockets.
One of the first things I got was spare batteries and a separate charger.
Why nikon don't supply one is beyond me, I never like using cameras
for charging. Also I think the nikon batteries should have had a
Higher capacity. My spare ones are and they last longer.
One thing I should mention, is the battery indicator on the camera.
It is not allways right on some occasions, it indicates full battery
then after a couple of frames the camera indicates battery exhausted.
If I am going to do some important shots, I now allways put a fresh
Battery in so I don't get caught out.

I've taken some video clips and found the quality very good on the big
screen. In fact they are better than my Sony digital camcorder.
The camera's auto focussing while panning and zooming in and out was
excellent (digital zoom not used). Must point out that I used a fast
class 10 SD card. Still shots can be taken without interrupting video,
up to 10 can be taken in any video clip longer than 10 seconds. These
are only 2 megapixel, but are sharp considering.

I don't often use GPS as it drains the battery quickly, when activated
it stay on even when the camera switches off. So you have to remember
to deactivate it when you put it away.
The GPS takes a few minutes to locate satellite's, changing from red to
white with signal strength alongside. The points of interest has been
spot on wherever I end up. For those who like to geotag their photos,
this seems to work well.

One of the best features of the the camera is the wireless. To use it
you have to purchase the adapter WU-1a which cost around £46 bit expensive.
Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter
I wanted be able to remotely control camera shutter so I purchased it.
I can honestly say it is brilliant to use.
When you get it you have to download the free app for your device whether
it a mobile or tablet.
I wanted to use my Kindle Fire HD, this was not straight forward as Amazon
did not have the app in their store. To get it on my Kindle I had to
sideload it from another app store.
The WU-1a is plug into the mini sub port on side of camera, by the way it
is very small. It does comes with a small case you can attach to your
camera strap for safe keeping.
Switch camera on, then search WiFi on the kindle and connect to nikon
wireless adaptor. Then open nikon app, and on the screen is the cameras
view. On the screen the image is large and clear.
There is a button for activating cameras shutter.
Also a W and T button for zooming in and out remotely.
There also a camera battery indicator shown in percentages.
When you press the button to activate camera, the photo is loaded on camera.
It will then load on your kindle, for viewing.
The loading on Kindle is optional.
The wireless adapter has a range of 15 metres, depending on conditions
This is a fantastic feature with many uses.

That is it for now hope you find review useful

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 3 Nov. 2013
L. Green (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix P520 Camera - Dark Silver (18.1MP, 42xZoom, 24mm Wide Lens) 3.2 inch LCD (Electronics)
Great for street photography and short video clips. Just took this to New York and it performed well with reasonable wide angle, super zoom and fun effects including cross process and sepia. I teach photography and give this a thumbs up as did well, not as good as a DSLR kit but didn't weigh me down and was quick to hand. Super!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera, 11 Nov. 2013
This light weigh camera has the most amazing zoom ever. It takes incredible photos with little effort. It handles dull light and is the perfect camera for the person who wants to take good photos without being a trained photographer. Quite amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 10 April 2013
I was looking for the best in class of the bridge cameras following a disappointment with another brand. This fulfills all my expectations and could even take the place of my DSLR which is much bigger and heavier to carry around. Well recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacing the P510 I have, 3 Jan. 2014
Amit Cohen "Amit" (UK) - See all my reviews
Although it seems there are no major changes between the models I was suprised to find some very important ones. The main feature is the increased resolution and swivelling monitor on the back. Very handy to use and adds extra protection to the screen .
Also editing features built in and change of button configuration which makes operation much more user friendly. Nikon has done it again for me!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch bridge camera, 4 Aug. 2013
Does exactly what it says on the tin. Having used a Nikon DSLR for the last ten years, it was a great surprise how easy this camera is to use

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking of buying a heavy bulky DSLR and a bag of lenses..., 10 Oct. 2013
I was, until I really challenged what I wanted my camera for...

Car club photography, friends and family snapshots, holidays, days out, the occasional airshow...pretty typical usage I guess?
In the past, I had always enjoyed my photography with a 35mm SLR and a few lenses and achieved some decent results and even joined a camera club.

Like you are probably thinking, I thought I should buy a DSLR and pick-up where I left off with my 35mm? The only question was do I buy a Nikon or a Canon?

My family members are all Nikon fans (and I guess they do probably make the best commercial lenses), but really the Nikon/Canon choice is mostly down to personal preference and I am not writing on this subject today!

A couple of friends had purchase "bridge" cameras from Nikon, Fuji and Panasonic...all reported some excellent results. Meanwhile my family members with Nikon D200 and D300s were dragging around their bulky DSLR camera systems and I thought...if I get myself a DSLR it will sit in the cupboard because I will either be too lazy to carry it or be afraid it will get stolen!

Fast forward (excuse the pun) and I have, after reading loads of expert reviews, bought the Nikon P520...and I am absolutely delighted with it.

There is a setting for pretty much every eventuality. You can take the camera out of the box and start taking decent photos from day one. The camera is nicely finished, works beautifully smoothly and quickly. I have so far found nothing to dislike about it and have now, after gaining confidence and knowledge of operating the camera, created a few photos that are absolutely outstanding (honest!).

You can take top quality "point and shoot" snaps, or use the camera's features to get creative.

The superb quality foldaway screen (similar quality to a decent Nikon DSLR) is a bonus and the camera protects the screen whilst it is not in use.

The only additional items you will need to buy are a high speed (Class 10) 32GB 45MB/sec SDHC memory card and a Nikon Coolpix P520 camera bag (they cost a bit more because it is the best bag).

5.0 out of 5 stars A very desirable object as well as a fantastic camera !, 16 Jun. 2014
Blair 49 (Solihull England) - See all my reviews
Firstly let me say I bought my wife the Nikon P510 last year from Amazon and she was delighted with it. Its lightness, ease of use, quality of pictures taken in all kinds of environments and circumstances, both at home and abroad. She is an Instagram devotee and with children back in the States the camera gave her exactly what she wanted in terms of being able to upload directly by wi-fi to both Facebook and Instagram.

The camera does not 'per se' have wi-fi capability built in but there are 2 ways around this firstly you could buy for around £55 the discrete Nikon wi-fi adapter which plugs into the side of the camera, or secondly you can purchase a Mobi 32gb SD card with a built in wi-fi capability for much the same price. You can also upload your photos directly to your computer if in range, but to do that you have to have the Mobi eye-fi app on your computer (down loadable from the Apple iTunes store or the Google Playstore).

You have to 'enable' the eye-fi application in the camera 'set up' found within 'menu' for it to upload. That said with the eye-fi (wi-fi) facility enabled it will quite quickly drain the camera battery so it would be good user practice to leave it 'disabled' until you want to upload your photographs.

So given that the SD card sits in the memory slot and cannot drop off, or simply be forgotten in the camera box back at home, it really is a no brainer which route to go down ! The fact that you have to have a memory card means you might as well have one with built in wi-fi !! So anyway moving on having played with the camera myself I quickly came to the realisation that I had to have one also, and so just recently I purchased an immaculate almost new red P520 for £175 from that well known auction site and I too am now an Instagram devotee having purchased a second Mobi 32 gb SD wi-fi card from Amazon. Just for the record the Mobi comes in 8gb, 16gb, and 32gb variants.

The P520 is almost identical in specification to the P510 except for the universally 'swivelling' rear display screen which can be 'reversed' when the camera is switched off to stop the surface of the screen being inadvertently scratched or damaged. There is much to like about both of these cameras and not much to dislike, camera magazine comparative tests are very favourable to both models although a common observation is that they are both light and a bit plasticky, that said personally I think the build quality is very good and the finish excellent as you would expect from Nikon. Having used heavy metal 35mm SLR's for many years with huge interchangeable lenses this new breed of bridge camera is a revelation to me. Sure they have their limitations as do all things but for most users they will cover 90% plus of the bases. All in all great cameras for the price !

4.0 out of 5 stars Just one problem, 11 Feb. 2014
Bobber (Rockaway, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
Done a lot of research before deciding on this camera. The image quality and the zoom were the deciding factors. I am however amazed that a camera with a 1000mm and a very good 2000mm digital zoom has no means of remotely triggiring the shutter when on the tripod, as it needs to be at those magnifacations. I could of course use the selftimer and ask the bird to hold it there for 2 seconds. Or I could buy that plugin gadget for £45 and the smart phone I don't need for £100 to activate it not forgetting the appropriate app to get things working after the time lapse that accurs between activation and shutter firing with this setup. Good all round bridge camera but do not buy it for serious wildlife shooting. regards

4.0 out of 5 stars Recomended .... But, 25 May 2013
I am used to using a SLR but wanted something more portable, this doesn't quite slip in your pocket but it fitted with what I wanted. The main, only problem I have with it over the SLR I am used to is the time delay. Take it out of your pocket to take a butterfy or bird by the time you've set up it's gone on that basis it will never compeat with my trusted D200 & then there is also the slight shutter delay. Yes you get used to that & start predicting where things are going, with the number of pixcels this has got do slightly wider angles so if they do move youstill get it. All in all a very good little camera that I am still learning about.