Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 March 2013
Originally I was going for the Nikon P510 or the Canon SX50.
After checking both in the high street stores, there was not
that much noticeable difference in the zoom of both cameras 50X
compare to 42X for Nikon.
But the main clincher was the vari-angle screen on the Canon
compare to the Nikon screen.
Then the Nikon P520 came on the market with the vari-angle
screen I wanted with a few extras and cheaper than the Canon.
I am now the proud owner of a Excellent Nikon camera that I hope will
not let me down.
This is my first Nikon and it is small and lightweight, have no problems
with controls etc.
The features are amazing, and most of these have been commented
on in Nikon P510 reviews.
The 3D feature has not been used yet maybe when I have a device that will
display them.
I am more than happy with the quality of my photos especially
with the zoom.
It is early days yet but will update.

Update 31st March

This camera has definitely rejuvenated my enthusiasm in photography.
I seem to take it everywhere, mainly because it so compact and fits
easily in one of my jacket pockets.
One of the first things I got was spare batteries and a separate charger.
Why nikon don't supply one is beyond me, I never like using cameras
for charging. Also I think the nikon batteries should have had a
Higher capacity. My spare ones are and they last longer.
One thing I should mention, is the battery indicator on the camera.
It is not allways right on some occasions, it indicates full battery
then after a couple of frames the camera indicates battery exhausted.
If I am going to do some important shots, I now allways put a fresh
Battery in so I don't get caught out.

I've taken some video clips and found the quality very good on the big
screen. In fact they are better than my Sony digital camcorder.
The camera's auto focussing while panning and zooming in and out was
excellent (digital zoom not used). Must point out that I used a fast
class 10 SD card. Still shots can be taken without interrupting video,
up to 10 can be taken in any video clip longer than 10 seconds. These
are only 2 megapixel, but are sharp considering.

I don't often use GPS as it drains the battery quickly, when activated
it stay on even when the camera switches off. So you have to remember
to deactivate it when you put it away.
The GPS takes a few minutes to locate satellite's, changing from red to
white with signal strength alongside. The points of interest has been
spot on wherever I end up. For those who like to geotag their photos,
this seems to work well.

One of the best features of the the camera is the wireless. To use it
you have to purchase the adapter WU-1a which cost around £46 bit expensive.
Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter
I wanted be able to remotely control camera shutter so I purchased it.
I can honestly say it is brilliant to use.
When you get it you have to download the free app for your device whether
it a mobile or tablet.
I wanted to use my Kindle Fire HD, this was not straight forward as Amazon
did not have the app in their store. To get it on my Kindle I had to
sideload it from another app store.
The WU-1a is plug into the mini sub port on side of camera, by the way it
is very small. It does comes with a small case you can attach to your
camera strap for safe keeping.
Switch camera on, then search WiFi on the kindle and connect to nikon
wireless adaptor. Then open nikon app, and on the screen is the cameras
view. On the screen the image is large and clear.
There is a button for activating cameras shutter.
Also a W and T button for zooming in and out remotely.
There also a camera battery indicator shown in percentages.
When you press the button to activate camera, the photo is loaded on camera.
It will then load on your kindle, for viewing.
The loading on Kindle is optional.
The wireless adapter has a range of 15 metres, depending on conditions
This is a fantastic feature with many uses.

That is it for now hope you find review useful
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 November 2013
Great for street photography and short video clips. Just took this to New York and it performed well with reasonable wide angle, super zoom and fun effects including cross process and sepia. I teach photography and give this a thumbs up as did well, not as good as a DSLR kit but didn't weigh me down and was quick to hand. Super!
on 11 November 2013
This light weigh camera has the most amazing zoom ever. It takes incredible photos with little effort. It handles dull light and is the perfect camera for the person who wants to take good photos without being a trained photographer. Quite amazing!
on 10 April 2013
I was looking for the best in class of the bridge cameras following a disappointment with another brand. This fulfills all my expectations and could even take the place of my DSLR which is much bigger and heavier to carry around. Well recommended!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2014
Although it seems there are no major changes between the models I was suprised to find some very important ones. The main feature is the increased resolution and swivelling monitor on the back. Very handy to use and adds extra protection to the screen .
Also editing features built in and change of button configuration which makes operation much more user friendly. Nikon has done it again for me!!
on 4 August 2013
Does exactly what it says on the tin. Having used a Nikon DSLR for the last ten years, it was a great surprise how easy this camera is to use
on 10 October 2013
I was, until I really challenged what I wanted my camera for...

Car club photography, friends and family snapshots, holidays, days out, the occasional airshow...pretty typical usage I guess?
In the past, I had always enjoyed my photography with a 35mm SLR and a few lenses and achieved some decent results and even joined a camera club.

Like you are probably thinking, I thought I should buy a DSLR and pick-up where I left off with my 35mm? The only question was do I buy a Nikon or a Canon?

My family members are all Nikon fans (and I guess they do probably make the best commercial lenses), but really the Nikon/Canon choice is mostly down to personal preference and I am not writing on this subject today!

A couple of friends had purchase "bridge" cameras from Nikon, Fuji and Panasonic...all reported some excellent results. Meanwhile my family members with Nikon D200 and D300s were dragging around their bulky DSLR camera systems and I thought...if I get myself a DSLR it will sit in the cupboard because I will either be too lazy to carry it or be afraid it will get stolen!

Fast forward (excuse the pun) and I have, after reading loads of expert reviews, bought the Nikon P520...and I am absolutely delighted with it.

There is a setting for pretty much every eventuality. You can take the camera out of the box and start taking decent photos from day one. The camera is nicely finished, works beautifully smoothly and quickly. I have so far found nothing to dislike about it and have now, after gaining confidence and knowledge of operating the camera, created a few photos that are absolutely outstanding (honest!).

You can take top quality "point and shoot" snaps, or use the camera's features to get creative.

The superb quality foldaway screen (similar quality to a decent Nikon DSLR) is a bonus and the camera protects the screen whilst it is not in use.

The only additional items you will need to buy are a high speed (Class 10) 32GB 45MB/sec SDHC memory card and a Nikon Coolpix P520 camera bag (they cost a bit more because it is the best bag).
on 8 January 2014
I took the P520 on a 'baptism of fire' (or perhaps more accurately, an 'ordeal by water') outing on New Year's Day to test it out photographing seals at Donna Nook. It did take a little getting used to (but then don't all new pieces of kit?) and my efforts improved considerably when my technically-alert friend pointed out that the screen actually folded back on itself to make a flat back screen, which I am used to rather than protruding at 180 degrees to the camera, which I found somewhat difficult. The weather was truly vile, so photograhpic conditions were somewhat less than ideal. I tried the zoom at all lengths, leaving the setting in auto, since I wasn't in the mood to play with it. Having downloaded the images, given the fact that I was not at all confident with using the camera, the results were very promising (and improved noticeably during the hour that I spent there, despite increasing numbness in the fingers and cold-induced camera-shake!). I think it will do what I bought it for - photographing natural history - extremely well. My only real issues with it are that it charges direct from the camera, which I don't very bright, since the camera would be left in full view charging for a couple of hours when on holiday (so I purchased a separate charger) and it doesn't shoot in RAW. At 18mp this probably doesn't matter too much, though. I couldn't find the plastic loop that supposedly attaches the lens cap to the body, which was slightly irritating, given the ease with which I lose lens caps. But overall, I liked this camera very much, and shall look forward to using it in rather better conditions!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 December 2013
First and foremost I have to say that I didn't buy this from Amazon,it was purchased 2nd hand from a friend who had to sell it for medical reasons.
This is a stonking little camera and so far I have only one issue with it,and that is the fact that it has no button for switching between the screen and the viewfinder, (the screen has to be turned round before the viewfinder comes on) I think I understand why Nikon have done this as my wife has the previous model ie. the P510 and she has always said that when using the Viewfinder she found that the screen became smeared with make up/suntan oil etc. from her face. That is just my best guess and I could be completely wrong.
The camera itself is really excellent, it is very lightweight, takes great pics and has lots of auto and manual options to play with.
I really like the command dial that controls the menu operation, which to my mind is a vast improvement to struggling with the single round button on my previous cameras.
I have previously owned a couple of other Bridge cameras and so far this looks to be the best of all. Should I have any other issue I will return and edit this review
on 9 January 2014
I would never have considered this camera had I not spent time on holiday with a relative who had the P510 (it's predecessor), I just couldn't believe how good his pictures were when compared to my Nikon SLR equipment, in many cases equally as good, but most importantly I was impressed by the ease of which he was taking them compared to me, it seemed I was opening my camera bag and changing lenses every 5 minutes on a day out, not to mention the effort of carrying the aforementioned mentioned bag
This camera is incredible, as is the quality of the pictures taken, even more so when using the full zoom and not expecting much of a result.
I won't go into the various special effects which can added before or after taking the shot, but they are both easy to use and useful.
My only warning is that this is one camera that you really must download and read the 244 page users manual to get the best out of, if you choose to just do a quick set up and fire away you will miss many of it's incredible features, definitely a 5 * product.

See one answered question