5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera
Published 15 months ago by Mooncoin

I was wanting a point and shoot camera, nothing fancy. This was recommended by Which magazine and because my previous camera was a very similar Olympus, I went for this one.

Touch screen can be turned off, thank goodness.

You have to watch how you hold it as the flash is always popping up under my finger.

The panorama is very manual. You...
Published 2 months ago by Shaz237

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 25 July 2013
I have an XZ-10 and the XZ-2. I find that I'm using the XZ-10 more. The main reason is that I can always put it into my pocket so it is always with me. It is as quick as the XZ-2 in terms of startup and focus. It has fewer functions than the XZ-2 and maybe the image quality isn't quite up to par with its slightly larger sensored sibling but, really, unless you start to pixel peep it produces excellent pictures with lots of detail. It has the ability to capture RAW files which will make for higher quality images but I find that the jpegs are just fine. You can set the high limit for auto ISO - I've set it to 1000 ISO which, with the bright lens and image stabilisation, is good for most situations. I've read reviews stating that the lens isn't up to scratch and that it produces a fair bit of purple fringing but I haven't seen any that really stands out as being awful. There is some around the light in this shot [...] but I'm sure you'll agree that it is hardly noticeable: Some of my DSLR lenses are worse than this. There is also a digital zoom function (taking it to 260mm in 35mm camera terms) which interpolates the cropped image back up to 12m and although a bit softer it is pretty good for most uses - pic here: [...] The slow motion video function is fun (although the 240fps is such a small format that it is limited in its uses whereas the 120 fps is in 720hd). 120fps sample here: [...]
Downside for me is that there is no manual focus function and that the rear jog dial used for exp comp is easily moved without you noticing it (although it can be disabled in menus - which takes 6 presses to achieve). Also, if an Eye-Fi card is used this slows down the startup considerably - as it does in the XZ-2. These are the only cameras I own where this happens.
Charging is via the USB port which some people say is a bad thing but you can buy extra batteries and a charger online for not much money (unless you buy Olympus branded ones) so I don't see this as a problem, but more of an extra feature (I bought two batteries for under a fiver and they seem to work fine).
It is a brilliant camera and knocks spots off previous compacts I've owned (Canon G9 and Nikon P7000) and I love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pocketable "enthusiast" camera, current price is good value, 28 Feb 2014
This is a very good pocketable "enthusiast" camera. At launch it felt overpriced (about £300), but at current prices (about £175) it's a much more attractive proposition.

Its stand out feature versus competitors is its max aperture range, f1.8 - f2.7. This makes it comparitively good indoors and in low light allowing lower ISO for less image noise. It also allows faster shutter speeds in good light (to freeze fast action or reduce blur due to camera shake), and improved ability for "subject separation" by blurring backgrounds when desired.

It has a built-in 3-stop neutral density filter that you can manually enable/disable. This is useful eg. for portraits in very bright conditions, where you want to have the aperture wide open for background blur, but you don't want over-exposure from hitting the shutter speed limit. Also, you can use it to get slower shutter speeds than normal eg. to get those "milky" fountain/waterfall/stream effects.

Sensor size is smaller than some competitors (1/2.3"), which usually translates to more image noise in a given situation, than cameras with larger sensors. However, this is offset by the faster max apertures, which allow lower ISO (less noise) than other cameras, for a given shutter speed. 12 megapixels is more than most people actually need, and is sensible for a sensor this size. 16MP or more would probably just reduce image signal-to-noise ratio for no particular benefit.

I have been very pleased by the camera's image quality, auto-exposure, and colour rendition. There are "better" enthusiast compacts in those respects, but they tend to be significantly more expensive, or not so "pocketable"... and the XZ-10 image quality is a very definite step up from "regular" (cheap) pocket cameras. AF seems quick and accurate. Full-auto works well and is very convenient, and the auto white balance seems better than most cameras I've used.

I haven't tested this properly, but it seems to take advantage of memory cards that have super-fast write speeds - very long bursts are possible before slowdown, or many short bursts in rapid succession.

I consider camera touch screens to be largely useless gimmicks that waste battery power. But touch-to-focus IS handy in full-auto mode, when you can't half-press the shutter to lock focus then recompose. If the camera chooses the wrong subject in a busy scene, tapping the correct subject is very quick and useful. (On the other hand, touch to both focus AND shoot... is just asking for a blurry image due to camera shake, it's likely to be more than the image stabilisation can handle. Best avoided). Touch screen is also useful for scrolling a zoomed-in image, when you are reviewing your photos.

You can completely disable touch functions in the setup menus, but there is also an onscreen touch icon to cycle through "disabled", "focus-only" and "focus-and-shoot". "Disabled" is handy to prevent most accidental photos (easily done when attemping "selfies"!), while still allowing you to quickly re-enable when needed.

The XZ-10 has a bad habit of raising the flash in full-auto or Scene modes, whether it's needed or not. And mostly it is not needed, because the camera avoids firing the flash until it REALLY has to (when shutter speeds would be VERY low, or ISO would be VERY high). Actually, even then it's likely to choose "night" scene mode and still not use the flash! I'd prefer it if it never raised the flash until I explicitly tell it to.

Since I use full-auto a lot with this camera, and only switch to the semi-manual modes when facing a difficult situation, or I want a specific effect... I actually copied the full-auto mode to the Custom setup slot... with flash disabled. This lets me shoot full-auto, with flash disabled by default. Not perfect, but it helps.

I usually only use flash for fill-in when a subject is backlit. Because with built-in flash on most cameras it's usually a struggle to stop them turning faces horrid ghostly white. Having said that, the XZ-10 flash (auto mode) actually works very well, automatically controlling its power to keep faces looking natural. I was surprised and impressed by this.

Semi-manual and full manual (PASM) controls are largely what you'd expect from this type of enthusiast camera. The control ring around the lens is now de rigeur for this type of camera, and it works well.

Note that if you shoot JPG's the camera has a "super fine" JPG quality setting. But this is hidden away in the setup menus (the image quality choices are customisable - you have to change one of them to "SF", then select that image quality). This gives you a better starting point for editing than regular "fine" JPGs (less compression artifacts), files are larger (about 8MB instead of about 5MB), but are still half the size of the XZ-10's RAW files.

Smoothing wrinkles and blemishes in portraits is an ever-popular feature. People just love to look their best, ideally better than real life :-D This camera's "ePortrait" works well for this, without making faces/skin look unpleasantly like plastic. It can also be applied in-camera to a photo after it has been taken, if there is a recognisable face in it. (This creates a new, processed copy in addition to the original photo)

The camera works with wired and wireless remote shutter releases, plugged into the USB port - as long as they are compatible with the Olympus RM-UC1 shutter release. I have personally tested this. However wireless devices are not ideal, since the receiver typically sits in a flash hotshoe - and the XZ-10 doesn't have one. You'd have to leave the reciever dangling from the USB port, or find something else to clip it to eg. tripod.

Batteries can be charged in-camera, by plugging the camera into a computer USB port. The camera comes with a mains-to-USB power supply, which simply provides USB power to the camera (it can't charge a battery independantly of the camera). This is inconvenient, since the door over the USB port is the usual horrid rubbery flap. It also risks damage to the cable and camera by constantly plugging the cable in and out (and it's a proprietary USB cable!).

I'd recommend using a third-party external battery charger - and you'll want one of these anyway, if you have a spare battery that you want to leave charging at home while you are out with the camera.

Movies have been pleasing so far. The XZ-10 creates MOV files, in the same place on your card as the still photos, and with the same naming convention (Much better than the dreadful MTS AVCHD files that are created by some other cameras... with meaningless, unpredictable file names hidden away in a blu-ray file structure - those are just awful to work with).

120fps high speed video at 720HD is nice, for slow-motion footage of fast action at a decent size.

I haven't done this yet, but when reviewing your photos, you can add brief audio comments to them. I plan to make use of this feature, I used to do that a lot with one of my old cameras - but not many modern cameras seem to offer this any more.

Some may lament the lack of WiFi, GPS, Flash hotshoe, EVF, etc. But personally I have no use for those things in a camera of this type, and I am glad that they are not adding unnecessary extra cost or battery drain. I could easily do without the touchscreen as well, but oh well such is the fashion.

Well, EVF can be useful in bright sunlight, but I can usually arrange my hands to create a sunshade if needed. GPS also has its uses, but I carry a small GPS logger on my belt and use its data to tag my photos instead. This way, I get to choose the GPS quality, accuracy, functionality etc, and I only have to pay for it once, no matter how many cameras I have, or how often I replace them. It also doesn't use any power from my camera's battery.

The manual could be better, no surprises there. It seems very rare for any camera to have a really good manual :-/

There is no manual focus available. Perhaps Olympus has faith in their AF accuracy, combined with touchscreen selection of focus area? Whatever, it's a surprising ommission, given many (most?) direct competitors have some form of manual focus. I don't find this a problem, but perhaps others will be dismayed by this.

4.0 out of 5 stars For getting beyond point and shoot, 22 July 2013
Wiltshire Bookworm (Chippenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This camera has lots of features and is great for anyone wanting to take their photography beyond point and shoot whilst retaining much of the convenience of a compact camera.

I would advise a good read through of the full camera manual (not the shorter paper one which comes in the box) whilst taking some trial photos. This will let you get thoroughly familiar with the camera's controls and what it can do. Some of the settings can be set via more than one route, (so it's not as instinctive to use than many of the simpler compact cameras) another good reason for reading the manual and taking time to get thoroughly familiar with the controls.

There are some quirky features such as the ability to touch the screen to take a photo. This is best done with the stylus given with the camera as it will prevent the screen from getting too grubby with fingermarks. However, the stylus is small, so photographers wanting to use this feature regularly may want to attach the stylus to the camera strap. You can also use this facility to select a different part of the photo to be in focus, than the camera's settings. However, I lost this feature whilst fiddling with the controls and I haven't been able to restore it yet, despite reading the manual!

Another feature is the ART settings - an in-camera way of changing the photo to e.g. monochrome or sepia. Useful for those printing directly from the camera, but probably superfluous for anyone used to using any post-photography processing via e.g. photoshop.

The camera can also shoot in RAW mode i.e. the most detail (jpegs are compressed so photo details are lost) as well as the usual jpegs. Useful if you want to make full use of your photos. Video is also at a higher resoltion. This means you may have to consider buying extra storage for all those photos. It's also easy to set the camera to shoot at a lower resolution if you don't mind the loss of quality and would like to eke out your storage, Don't skimp on the SD card you'll need to buy though, especially if you're going to shoot quite a bit of video.

It would have been nice to be able to attach a viewfinder to this camera as like most compacts it gets difficult to see the screen display in bright light. All those features and the lens needed to deliver them means the camera is in the weightier end of the compact category.

Image quality is good, but I haven't compared it with similar cameras in this price range or category.

Overall, I'm happy to continue exploring further to see what this camera can do.

3.0 out of 5 stars This was recommended by Which magazine and because my previous camera was ..., 7 Aug 2014

Touch screen can be turned off, thank goodness.

The panorama is very manual. You take a string of photos by matching up arrows on screen, but then the camera does not make it into a panoramic shot, you have t do that manually with some photo editing software and no gidance as to how you took the shots.

Videos are easy to take, no menu option required, just press the red button.

It's light.

You charge the batteries whilst they are in the camera. I bought extra batteries but now I am going to have to source a separate charger as well.

The autofocus often focusses on the wrong thing so I have to keep moving the shot to try and get what I want in focus.

There are far too many options for a little point and shoot camera, but the photos and videos are very good quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 10 Oct 2014
This is a little gem, it has been discontinued now so priced really low - grab it while you still can. I've had compacts and I've had mirrorless cams, so got plenty to compare with, and I have not seen another compact as good as this. I mean a truly pocketable one, reasonably thin and light and no lens cap to fiddle with like so many advanced compacts have. Grab it, turn it on and shoot. Full manual controls, settings galore, clean images at lower ISO and a lens that is sharp throughtout the zoom range (even in the corners) without the need to stop down: I have found f3.5 to be the optimal apeture. The sensor-based image stabilisation is helpful, although a bit less efficient than lens-shift IS. Complaints are minor: no manual focus for some reason, no Picture Mode bracketing as available in many other advanced Olympus cameras, and the battery life could be better. You might also find the 26mm wide angle view not wide enough, but it is wider than many enthusiast-oriented compacts still offer today, including the XZ-1 and 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 10 May 2014
This is a great little camera if you want to take control of your photography and want more than a point and shoot - although the point and shoot modes work really well.
What gives this camera an edge is the lens - I have been amazed at the quality of indoor photographs that can be taken, however getting to the best setting takes a lot of trial and error as you experiment.
The art modes can turn your photo's into art, and if you set the camera right you can capture the raw photo as well as an Art filtered jpeg so you can work on RAW data as well as having instant arty ones that you can show off.
It is also capable of shooting 15 frames per second for 4 seconds which is great for sport or even group shots where people blink out of sequence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compact camera for enthusiasts: first impressions..., 4 April 2013
My XZ-10 arrived yesterday and since user-reports seem a little scarce I thought I'd share my opinion so far...

Size

Even though I'd read the specs and compared them with those of my other cameras, I was still surprised by how small the XZ-10 looked when I unwrapped it.

Nervous about dropping it with my clumsy hands I put the wrist strap on straightaway and intend to keep it on. It's very impressive to see so much functionality and quality packed into such a small unit.

Getting started

I'd pretty much read the instruction manual from cover-to-cover before the camera arrived, so it wasn't a problem getting set up. Charging the battery seems to take quite a long time; I'm pleased I have ordered a second battery and a separate charging unit, as it's frustrating having the camera tied up and unusable while the battery charges.

The camera controls are well laid out and pretty easy to figure out - there were a couple of things I had to look up in the manual, though. The display is lovely.

Usability

It's extremely easy to take photos with this camera! But here are some more useful thoughts: Some of the test shots I've taken have been in bright sunlight. In this situation it was almost impossible to see what was on the screen, so a bit of guesswork was required for compostion etc. I really missed having a viewfinder there, but I guess I'll get used to it. Many of my initial photos have a wonky horizon which I'm putting down to this.

I have found it a little too easy to rotate the "sub dial" on the back, which meant there was a tendency to dial in an over/under exposure compensation by accident. The the main control ring on the front is really useful - I'm trying to make my mind up if I want to swap the direction that it's currently working in. The option to touch the screen to focus (and fire the shutter) is really handy - I think I will definitely use that depending on the situation I'm working in. I had an hour playing with the Scenes and Art settings - they look a lot of fun, not sure if I'll ever use them!

Image quality

It's very, very important to say first of all that it's early days for me with this camera. I'm not sure what I was really expecting, but I have to say that I have not been "blown away" by the results I've achieved so far. Yet. I'll come back to this review in a few weeks to update if necessary.

In summary

As the specs suggest, this is a camera for the enthusiast. Sure, it does the fun stuff like art filters etc, but IMHO this camera would be wasted on someone just after a fancy "point and shoot".

I've no regrets so far with my purchase. The XZ-10 seems to be a great camera with masses of potential, but I certainly need to work on getting the best out of it! It was the same when I got my first DSLR. At this stage my feelings are that I'll not be leaving my DSLR at home on any photographic outings just yet, but my phone is getting demoted to other duties, like the occasional call...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great high quality compact, not stunning low light., 28 July 2013
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having a chance to review a piece of equipment such as the Olympus STYLUS XZ-10 is a wonderful opportunity to take an objective look at brand spanking new piece of hardware.

I normally right really broke up reviews but this time I feel a little passionate so apologies if I ramble a little.

The XZ-10 is a wonderfully built camera. It feels solid but does have some weight. The wide-angle zoom is great for capturing anything that doesn't require you to get too close, and it has a built in ND filter - which means you get great quality photos even in bright sunlight.
The touchscreen is slick and works brilliantly. I loved being able to touch the area I wanted it to focus on and the camera obligingly taking a sharp photo of that spot. Great idea.
The image quality on the whole was very good. I don't feel like Megapixels are the name of the game and I am glad that Olympus relented from putting a 24mpx sensor in here. 12 is enough.
Colour is bright and vivid and contrast crisp. Shooting in raw gave superb details. The only caveat was low light. I was left less than impressed by low light performance where to me it was not as good as the Nikon COOLPIX P310 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 4.2x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD that I own. Considering the insane price difference this was a total let down.
In fact I don't quite understand the price point difference. Yes this is a well built camera, with some great fun art modes. The autofocus is crisp and other than in low light the image quality is superb. But I feel as though this device has been over-engineered for the sake of overengeneering. For the price you get subjectively speaking not that much camera.

Don't get me wrong it is very good and feels like it is built akin to a tank. It is a joy to use and the movie mode is great. I just can't see other than a gimmicky touchscreen what I am getting over the P310?

Hence why it only gets 4 stars from me. It is great but a lack of low light performance and the necessary wow factor considering the price leaves me somewhat unimpressed, however it is hard to give it less than the 4 stars it does earn!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but, 25 July 2013
Amazon Customer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having previously owned and really liked the excellent but slightly impractical XZ-1 (in stylish white), I jumped at the chance to get my hands on this one. I had traded my XZ-1 for a Sony HX10v purely for its usability and better zoom but missed the Olympus for its better lens and picture quality more than I thought. This one addresses the issues I had with the XZ-1 (its size, sharp edges, lens cap and 4x zoom) but the optical zoom has still only increased to 5x.

Anyway, back to the new one, the looks are fairly unremarkable but the build quality and finish are excellent. It feels weighty and compact but not too much so. There is no Auto, just an iAuto mode on the dial which makes sense. The other buttons are where you would expect them to be these days making it easy to get up and running in no time. Image quality has impressed very much (examples to follow when this site allows me...) although looking back, the XZ-1 just has the edge on clarity.

I have enjoyed using the art filters on this camera, especially old fave the "dramatic tone" which can turn any suburban park into a sultry and stormy moorland, ditto the grainy black and white which can add instant atmosphere. Whilst standard shooting is very good, there is a lot of fun to be had with this camera too. It is worth noting the eleven art filters have sub filters and effects of their own, giving 30+ effects. One of the other new additions, the Key Line effect can turn a back street factory into a fabulous pen and ink townscape. Photo Story enables you to add multiple scenes into one shot which is good fun and worth exploring too. The lens ring and touch screen offer different ways to use the camera and whilst I wouldn't class them as gimmicky they are not exactly essential either.

I'm still exploring and enjoying this camera and it has taken some shots to be proud of already. However I am very disappointed by the lack of written manual and the 5x zoom has proven to be a handicap on more than one occasion already unfortunately so its 4 stars from me.

** UPDATE **

After several weeks more use I have gone back to my Sony HX10v which handles much better, has a 16x optical zoom and much easier menu system. Despite being over a year older, both myself and my daughter agree the Sony is a better all rounder and less fussy in use than the XZ-10. Had I paid almost £300 for the XZ-10 I think I would have felt pretty disappointed hence the downgrade to 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect camera, 3 Sep 2014
Good camera, 1,8 is so great. Perfect camera and perfect amazon 's service.