VINE VOICEon 26 July 2013
Style Name: 3G LED DisplayVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this to save taking my Samsung Galaxy phone out just to provide a wi-fi hot spot for my wireless only iPad. All I needed to do was to charge up the battery for the TP-LINK M5350, insert the SIM card from my phone and the battery and I was ready to go - it just works. Quirks related to the TP-Link unit include: it does not take micro sim cards so you need an adapter; I couldn't open the unit easily using just my fingers/fingernails; it takes a little while to power on. The TP Link unit is much more compact than my phone and has been great on train journeys and for sharing my signal with others. Many phones cannot provide a hotspot so the TP unit comes in really handy in these instances. For me, it allows me to go phone free when I just want to connect to the internet outside my home. Recommended.
on 17 April 2014
great little gadget just been abroad it worked brilliantly where ever we were. good price as well would recommend this.
on 25 October 2013
Some people comment that you can use a cheap Android phone to use as a portable WiFi hot spot so why would you need one of these? OK, if you don't have any spare cash then this is a bit of a luxury but this is designed specifically for one purpose and that is creating a portable hot spot. The display is useful as it tells you how many devices are connected (Max of 10), upload and download data values, battery state and signal strength etc. I downloaded the manual for this from TP-Links website so you know exactly what it does before buying. It is nice and small and It seems to last a good while on a full charge. Battery varies on use but bear in mind you can leave it charging whilst using it. It charges via the widely available micro USB so it can be charged at home, in a hotel, in your car etc. I use mine with a Samba mobile SIM card. Samba mobile is a Free 3G service i just started using and can also recommend if you can be bothered to watch the adverts (that's the deal, watch adverts for free 3G). I put the SIM card in and switched it on and that was it. If you like having internet on Holiday, you can find out which network has decent 3G coverage, get a PAYG SIM and swap it in this unit as often as you like. You just connect to it like any other WiFi device. Take it on holiday, walk down a beach front and you still have internet. It really is a great little gadget which I treated myself too.
on 21 August 2013
Very neat, very small, but in a quality way. From the textured finish to the positive on/off button and the OLED display this feels like a well-designed piece of kit.

On receipt I charged the battery (and with both the option of a plug-in charger or USB charging that's no problem), put in my SIM and a memory card and switched on. It immediately latched onto a signal, although it was only 2G (but I do live out "in the sticks") and as far as the MiFi was concerned, job done. The speed was fairly pitiful (as you'd expect on 2G) but it worked.

Then I went into my office, closer to town, 3G signal - no problem, the download speed seemed fine (it wasn't a problem so I didn't check the actual speed achieved).

I bought this mainly for use abroad as I travel a lot to Portugal - but it is now permanently in my laptop case for when I can't get a WiFi signal here.

The only downside ....... getting the back off to give access to the battery etc. isn't the most straightforward process - but how many times would you need to do that? Oh and (of course) it's not 4G, but then, neither am I!

Happy punter here.
on 27 January 2014
Got this about 3 weeks ago, and I can say I'm really impressed by it's performance at this price, specially the battery that lasted about 5-6h before putting it charge again, not because it turned off but because I saw that the indicator was at the last bar. I have been using it nonstop plugged to the USB socket as it is my primary internet connection and haven't had any problems till now, even with 4 devices connected. Definitely gonna recommend it to anyone looking for a Wi-Fi 3G modem.
on 7 July 2013
Was looking for a replacement for the ever-more-expensive phone line rental, and came across this after much research. It works like a charm! Much recommended!
on 10 July 2014
I bought one of these after researching on the net and reading Amazon reviews. I was looking for a good quality, user friendly "mifi" primarily for use on holidays where wifi might not be available at all, or only available by paying exorbitant charges.

I have used it in the UK with pre-loaded data SIMs bought off Amazon and EBay which has worked very well. I have found it is better to buy a new SIM each time the previous one runs out as topping up seems to be more expensive than buying a new pre-loaded SIM. One particularly good use I have found for the device is when travelling by car. If the TP-Link is switched on and located on the top of the dash my family can usually get a good wifi signal which lets them use iPads and other devices while I drive.

I'm actually typing this while sitting outside in Spain using the TP-Link for internet access. When we arrived a few days ago I bought a Movistar data SIM (20 Euro for preloaded 250MB a day for 7 days) and inserted it into the device. It booted up with the digital display telling me that a PIN was required, so this meant accessing the TP-Link web page (see other reviews on how to do this) and entering the PIN in the appropriate field. Once this was done everything was up and running perfectly. Helpfully, the PIN can also be disabled on the web page menu meaning that there is no need to enter it every time you fire up the TP-Link; very important as you can't enter the PIN without a computer. I guess if you didn't have one you'd need to visit an Internet Café to set the device up initially.

Unlike other reviewers, I did not have to change any of the settings (APN number etc) to access the Movistar network. The TP-Link accessed them automatically. However, if you do need to enter these manually it is easy to do so on the web page and you can obtain a listing of the settings for all major networks online.

The TP-Link has worked perfectly here in Spain since being set up, providing wifi to up to 5 different devices no problem (it can handle up to 10 according to the manual). While we could access the net without it on some devices (e.g. smartphones with 3G), the cost of using roaming services can be ridiculous and a local data SIM in the TP-Link is a much better option.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with it and it will now be one of the first things I pack when going on holiday!
on 6 May 2014
Bought this due to working at a location that doesn't have Wi-Fi access plus as a blogger, I can't always get to a computer or normal wifi hotspot.
Before it turned up I was envisioning all sorts of complex procedures that had to be carried out before I could use it but no - I followed the simple instructions, inserted the full size mobile broadband SIM card (purchased separately), switched it on and then let my ASUS 7 inch HD tablet to search for the wi-fi signal. It found it instantly and after I filled in the password I was online and surfing, checking emails etc. My ASUS tablet lacks a SIM card socket but it does have WiFi so this Mi-fi unit is ideal. Not only is the TP-Link compact but the battery life has proved to be very long (haven't charged it yet and I've been using it on and off for just over a week now) and the signal strength is superb according to my wi-fi signal analysis app. Basically this device is a mobile wifi hotspot via broadband mobile phone signal. So as long as you can get a phone signal then you can get wifi anywhere.
Aesthetically it's a delight. Almost water-worn pebble-like with rounded corners and quite solid due to the big battery inside which is basically a mobile phone type battery which can be charged via computer USB or dedicated plug socket. A simple black and display lets you check the signal strength etc. I bought the 3 network 3 gig broadband SIM at the same time and it should last 3 months but that will vary according to useage in otherword if you stream a lot of HD video or music then it will last a lot less but for emailing, going on social networking sites etc it should easily last the 3 months.
At the end of the 3 month SIM card, I'll either get another 3 Network or shop around. Note: you can use a micro SIM but you will need an adaptor.
on 24 April 2015
Purchased on behalf of my employer - a small charity that runs information and advice events in a wide variety of venues.

Works brilliantly to support up to three tablets at venues where we do not have a Wi-Fi signal that we can use. It could probably support more tablets but we have not tested this as yet. Our advisers who go out on home visits also find the M5350 simpler and more reliable than using a dongle. The first unit has proved so successful that I have just purchased a second unit.
on 11 July 2014
My Amazon account was partially hacked a day or so after using this modem. Full details of several previous orders were obtained although my password remained intact and it was more of a phishing attack. Whether it was resulting from using the device or some other cyber failure is not known yet. After this problem, I went online using my ipad and the M5250 to change the SSID and password on the device, and to disable the SSID broadcast. To access Tplink's M5250 control panel requires the IP address 192.168.0.1 to be typed into your browser. Strangely, the native Safari browser on the ipad did not access the panel. I had to use another browser ( Mercury ) which accessed the control panel immediately.

The lack of other security issue comments re this modem assures me that this is probably a one-off, especially now I have taken the above security measures. I still think this is a magic little device and very pleased to have come across it.