5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, wonderful, will stay with you long after reading., 22 Dec 2013
Mrs. Julie Holt "Julie Haigh" (West Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jane's Jaunt! - Living in Luxor the Early Days (Kindle Edition)
This is the second of Jane Akshar's books that I have read. The first one was quite a short one, 'Jane Goes To Egypt'. This book is a much more substantial read with so much information. The book is really a copy of an online blog that Jane wrote for her friends and family in the first year she moved to live in Egypt and married an Egyptian man. It is a very intimate portrait, highly detailed, thank you so much Jane for letting us take such an intensive look into your life and family. When I reviewed Jane's other book, I perhaps downmarked her a bit for the spelling mistakes and, in this book, there are certainly some more of them but they didn't seem to matter so much this time because the content was so extensive and a real joy to read. I looked up many things on Jane's website whilst I was reading the book to get even more of a feel for it all and there she mentions that the book appears just as her blog was then, so it would seem more 'real' rather than re-hashing it etc. I feel it really works and, where I'm usually quite critical of mistakes the book really made up for it in other ways. There are many photos in this book and very good quality too. I loved the writing about the foods that they eat in Egypt and how they are cooked. Jane's passion for Egypt really comes across in this book as does her personality. She seems a really nice person who just wants to show you how beautiful Egypt is, so enthusiastic. We get to know so much about the cultural differences in this book and the foods, all well described. I read this book quite avidly, just wanting to know more, I didn't want it to end and I would certainly read more of Jane's writing. I liked the diary style format of the book, really easy to read and follow. This book has kept me enthralled. It's something different: you read many memoirs of people who have moved out to Spain, France, Italy etc. but I haven't heard of many, or any in fact who have made Egypt their home. In it there's a good variety of subjects and a concise style. I really felt I had been taken on a wonderful trip all the time I was reading and I learned so much, so much more than you could learn just by going on a holiday. All this book has been really interesting, honest, intimate, Jane introduces you into her family. In these early years we are told how Jane and her husband built and developed holiday flats in Luxor and now these have become really successful which Jane thoroughly deserves. I like how Jane and her family make guests welcome, taking them out for meals and taking them on sightseeing trips rather than just providing a place to stay in for the duration of a holiday. Involved more closely with guests and I like that. So much in it, absolutely fascinating. Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars first year living in Luxor, 20 Aug 2013
I loved this book! Everything about it, all the ups and downs of building and living in Luxor (west bank) After visiting luxor in 2011 and meeting Jane in person I just had to download this book onto my Kindle. It has reminded me of all the things I LOVE about Luxor; the friendly people, the tea, the delicious food - mmmm Egyptian bread is to die for and last but not least the wonderful sights, the tours that Jane organised for us. Our fabulous Egyptologist who called us "my family" and was fabulous with our children. Our driver who was lovely and patient - I just cannot describe how wondeful Jane Akshar and her staff are.
This book takes you there - in your minds eye, but to fully appreciate everything you just have to go to Luxor. Just do it!