5.0 out of 5 stars Katie continues to tromp through the Vamps!, 19 Mar 2004
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Katie Macalister gave us a good waltz with "A Girl Guide to Vampires" a deliciously, funny romp through the world of the "Dark Ones", modern day vampires that can sense their "Beloveds" (any resemblance to Christine Feehan's Carpathians is pure homage!). This is the second in the series, and we met Christian in Girls Guide and drooled over him and, so we were delighted to hear Katie was penning his tale (along with dozens of other works - the lady is prolific!).
The good news, the book, amazingly even more compelling that Girls Guide. I really enjoyed the first one, but this book hooks you from the start and keeps you flipping pages and ignoring Aragorn on telly! Katie gives us another of her totally ditzy characters in the "Queen of the First Person rants" with Allie. She is a woman that once was in an abusive relationship, but now is determined to be her own woman, and that includes her new profession as a Summoner - a person who summons ghosts. Problem is once she summons them she cannot sends them away. She is gathering material for the United Psychical Research Association, and she is out to prove to her boss, Anton Melrose, III, she is neither a crackpot nor a never-beens. So when she summons a ghost cat, she is thrilled. Just afters, she has an odd dream of seeing a man on a table in a dark basement. In the dream, there are cuts all over him, he is bleeding, and he says only she can heal him.
Dreams intrude on reality when the very next day she goes into a basement of a building she is investigating and finds just that - a man on the table bleeding. After exchanging a few words with him, she runs for the police. When they return, the room is empty and there is no trace of the handsome man. Odd-eyed Allie (think David Bowie blue eye-brown eye), goes to a bookstore the next day to get a copy of a vampire book autographed for a friend, and find out the author of the book is Christian Dante, and he is the man in the basement.
It's wildly kooky, Christian is to die for and Allie is a sweet endearing nut. It's typical camp that Katie does so well and it's another of her special books. A perfect antidote to exhaustion or the blues. Quick back and laugh your head off!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read, 18 July 2007
A. Lockie "dark angel" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
I had actually started reading the Dark One's series of books in reverse order, therefore this was the second one I had read and didn't know about the previous background Christian had in "A Girl's Guide to Vampires." But it didn't actually matter which shows how talented Katie is. It was only AFTER reading A Girl's Guide I noticed the threads that had continued into Sex and the Single Vampire.

Our story is told through the eyes of Allie a summoner who is fiercely independent due to domestic violence in a previous relationship. When attempting to find some paranormal activity she stumbles across a somewhat naked man who has cuts all over his body. She later finds this man signing books when her friend has hounded her into getting an autograph from her favourite author who turns out to be Christian Dante.

The story follows them trying to find Christian's fellow Dark One Sebastian, but they soon become tangled up in some nastiness with a Demon Lord. Allie also finds herself taking care off some ghosts although Esme is determined to look after her. Joy, Raphael and Roxy return from A Girl's Guide, and I have to say, the first time I read this Roxy riled me up something terrible, however she doesn't feature in this story as heavily.

I will say however, my favourite Dark One from the series is Christian. I defy any woman who reads this not to want a Christian of their own! Somewhat arrogant and possessive, but also gentle and sweet and guaranteed to warm your very soul. This is also my favourite book of the Dark One series, I bought it around August '06 and have probably read it at least once a month. Quirky, laugh out loud funny, but also a fantastic love story with the hottest Dark One to ever grace the earth.

A great pick-me-up when you're down, and an easy read that is the epitome of entertainment. All Katie fans will love it, and newbies to this author will love it just as much.

4.0 out of 5 stars It surpassed my expectations and was a fantastic read, 14 Nov 2010
I absolutely loved the first book in this series (A Girl's Guide To Vampires) but I have to say that Sex and the Single Vampire surpassed my expectations and was a fantastic read. While you could probably get away with reading this as a stand alone book I would recommend reading the books in order as this continues very nicely from the first book & has guest appearances from previous characters. Reading this book first would give you a big clue to the ending of the first book.
Allie is a Summoner but not a very successful one - in fact she is on a warning from her boss that unless she proves herself during this trip to London she won't have a job to come back to. When she manages to Summon the ghost of a cat she is over the moon but before long she seems to be collecting ghosts left right & centre. This may be fantastic for her career but unless she can work out a way to Release them into the afterlife it looks like she is going to be stuck with them.
She is also seeing visions - naked & bleeding from multiple cuts the man she sees is telling her she is the only one who can save him. She is surprised when she bumps into Christian and realises he is the man from her visions. He is a Moravian Dark One and he believes she is his Beloved - the only one who can save his soul. Allie has had a bad past with men - she has escaped from an abusive relationship and has no intention of ever letting a man have any kind of control over her again. The last thing she is looking for is a relationship & she doesn't take kindly to Christian's attempts to protect her. There is an instant attraction between them though which leads to fireworks between them.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldnt put it down, 23 Sep 2008
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
a great read, so couldnt put it down!!! total passion between allie and christian, very much like buffy and angel but with a happy ending. lots of funny moments aswell like allie's powers being a bit off!!! obviously this is 2nd book in a series so some of the back story oes kinda go over your head.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read with fun, danger and sex, 29 Sep 2013
Fast paced action throughout with humour in all the right places. Sexy Christian does not disappoint. An excellent read. A must read for all vampire and demon lovers!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it - love it, 27 Sep 2013
I was so unfortunate to read no. 3 of the series first, and then found out (because i loved it!) that the author had published a hole series. Bought those that sounded good, and they er NOT disappointing! The author keeps her language humourous and the plot doesn't beat around the bush. If you liked some of her other books, you will deffinately have to read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars love, 26 Mar 2013
Mizz Amanda (penwortham, uk) - See all my reviews
love the story and caricters. will get my mother and frinds to read this. then we can chat about it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 21 Mar 2010
Jennifer May (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Bought this after reading the first book, and loving it.
It's as good as the first, if nto better, with some of the characters formt he first book coming back into this one.
Can't wait to read the third one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Ones Series - Book 2, 19 Feb 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This book had all the hilarity of A Girl's Guide to Vampires & more. We get to see Joy & Roxy from the previous book and the addition of the ghosts just adds to the fun and games. There is also plenty of action - Christian's friend is missing and Allie offers to join the search to help find him - they come across enemies that seem almost impossible to beat and it will take all their combined efforts to come through this. Allie is strong, independent & the Queen of rants and witty one-liners and I couldn't help but fall in love with Christian. This book kept me gripped from the very first page and I didn't want it to end. I'm just pleased that there are more books in the series & I can't wait to continue reading them. I really can't recommend this book enough.