4.0 out of 5 stars Lots to Discover, 25 Feb 2013
Amazon Customer "traceyann" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stampede! The United Artists Story (1962) (Audio CD)
This compilation contains 3 discs of material released by United Artists (UA) from 1962. The first disc alone covers so many genres and sub genres of music - Country, Teen Pop, Doo Wop and New York Doo Wop, Instro's, Gospel, Big City Soul before we even get to Eydie Gorme and Dame Shirley Bassey. Over the 3 discs there lots of rare tracks (new to my ears anyway) waiting to be discovered. My favourites from disc 1 (62.17mins) are a couple of Teen Pop tracks `Dining, Dancing and Talking' by Rick Randell, `That's how I miss you' by Paul Dino and `Before I loved her' by the ever great Johnny Maestro. Disc 2 (65.17mins) continues in the same vein adding traditional folk and Orchestral tracks to the mix, my new to my ears favourite being `On the outside looking in' by Danny Jordan. Quite a few tracks sound a little distorted (possible disc dubs). Disc 3 (64.46mins) is too eclectic for my taste but there's still some good tracks on it. Overall, the sound quality is good (but not great by any means). As usual there is no booklet with this value for money release. Overall, even though some of the tracks are disc dubs the quality of music is high (especially on discs 1 & 2) and so I would still recommend this compilation. 8/10.

Please Note: Disc 1 track 2 is incorrect - plays `This is it' by Jay & the Americans whilst disc 3 track 12 plays `Dawning' (they have been swapped around).

Please Note: Normally these `One Day Music' compilations say they are Re-mastered this DOES NOT some tracks have slight distortion and others have audible pops and crackles.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bargain Price If Nothing Else., 21 Feb 2013
G. Hall "Offshore Radio Fan" (Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stampede! The United Artists Story (1962) (Audio CD)
For many years I've been unable to resist various artist albums like this one. As I mention in the title of the review, this is an absolute bargain, three cd's for less than the price of one. As with the previous reviewer, it's good to hear some of the well known artistes, Dame Shirley Bassey for example, but I look forward to discovering the unknown/unheard ones of which there are quite a few here. Highly recommended to music lovers like me, I would have given it five stars, but a couple of moans. I suspect on some of the tracks, they are dubbed from vinyl, but don't let that put you off. A quirk of mine, I would have put the tracks in chronological order, which One Day Music did with a recent double cd of Pye International releases. But the biggest moan, no cd booklet to let you know who some of the unknowns are. Okay, I guess from the price, a booklet wasn't possible, but I would have gladly paid three times the price to have a booklet with some details. And like the previous reviewer, this set will get plenty of plays on my programmes on Lincoln City Radio 103.6FM. And one final point, just who are One Day Music??

5.0 out of 5 stars Track Listings -It's Make Believe-Never Say Devil Woman, 13 Mar 2013
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This three CD set
STAMPEDE!
THE UNITED ARTISTS STORY

consists of

ORIGINAL RECORDINGS by the original artists.

At this low low price at under a fiver means the cost is less than a modern day single CD.
The simple reason for the low price? The recordings are over 50 years old and may be `Public Domain' in the USA.

But it's hard to work out which tracks are on the CD Amazon seemed to have jumbled all the tracks in one long set of lines.

If you are like me and find it hard to see exactly which tracks are on the two CDs then this easy to read list may help?

CD1

23. Every Other Night- Versatile Four
24. Slow Walk- Tito Rodriguez
25. Always - Burl Ives
26. This Far?- Glenn and the Doubters

It's a sad thought that many of these artist will now have passed away after over 50 years or more since the tracks were originally recorded.

In a way it's really good that when we hear them again today we can think back to the original artists.
It would be nice if you could say a little prayer for them. Like the add for Tesco says `Every little helps'.

4.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past along with great memories, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Stampede! The United Artists Story (1962) (Audio CD)
This takes me back to my teenage years when 45rpm records were all the rage. This album contains tunes I well remembered along with others. Back then it was very common for many singer/labels to produce cover versions of current songs so there are some track that I remeber that were sung by another artist. Great value for money though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding !, 21 Feb 2013
Howard Griffiths (Radio station gtfm 107.9 or www.gtfm.co.uk tune in and enjoy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stampede! The United Artists Story (1962) (Audio CD)
Considering the UK artist's that on this collection ,Shirley Bassey , Danny Williams plus USA stars Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme , c/w Star George Jones and Folk Singers The Highwaymen , plus a few orchestra tracks from Ferrante & Teicher , pleased to find some later songs from Marv Johnson and early Jay and The Americans .there's also abundance of "classic's from the attic " I found that this c/d collection was well worth buying . From my point of view , and I gather quite a few other people who have put their comments to other collections, like myself present on local radio stations , would find a good hours worth or more of music on this 3 c/d set to entertain listeners on their shows .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value., 17 July 2014
This review is from: Stampede! The United Artists Story (1962) (Audio CD)
A very good collection of oldies, which is good to reminisce with. Good value for money.

Stampede! The United Artists Story (1962)
Stampede! The United Artists Story (1962) by Various (Audio CD - 2013)